Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 05-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #1  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Red face I really hope I meet this goal, can you give me some advice?

Hi!

I want to set a goal of losing about 30+ pounds by late October. I know I CAN do this, but my MIND gets in the way by telling myself destructive thoughts and eating "comfort food" which is so unhealthy. I eat way too many unhealthy foods and I think I have subconscious message in my brain saying that it is okay to do this because I am numbing out my emotional pain that way.

I REALLY want to stop this emotional and physical yo-yo of going up and down on the scale because I am so tired of it. I have a real reason to lose weight this time, well I have a lot of reasons to lose weight, but this one means a lot to me. I am seeing a relative I haven't seen for years in late October who I may never see again and I want her to see me as the pretty, attractive, sweet, intelligent niece that I am, not chubby and obese. I know it is important to lose weight for oneself and I am doing this for me but I am also going to try extra hard because this relative is a personal motivator to me. I love her so much. I know she wants what is best for me and she has never pressured me to lose weight but she is in a critical point in her life and I want her to see me at a good point in my life. There will most likely be photos and for once, I don't want to shy away from the camera and cringe when I see photos, I want to look forward to them.

SO, how on Earth do I do this?!

I know I overeat and one of my worst vices is going to eat out a lot, especially Starbucks in the morning and getting pastries often. If I had something good to substitute it with, I would but I am allergic to a lot of foods and I am also a picky eater. Please send any breakfast ideas to me and all food ideas here!

I am my own worst enemy in the weight loss journey. If I could only stop sabotaging myself then maybe, just maybe, the glimmer of hope that I still believe in of achieving my goal weight and staying there would become a reality.

Please send your thoughts and suggestions here. I have to stop this self sabotage!

Thanks!
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #2  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Maybe take the time to sit down and write down YOUR thoughts on what you need to do to lose weight - really THINK about the changes you need to make in your lifestyle, your food choices, etc. Everyone else can pop in and tell you everything you already know to be true - skip the high calorie, low nutrient foods, be more active, etc. But it has to be YOU who looks at your day and how you handle food and makes the choice to either make the changes you should to reach your goals, and looks at the ways you can do that. Take the time to really evaluate that part of it, not just the feeling that you want to lose weight and now where do I go from here. What else do you enjoy doing that you can do instead of eating when you face stress?

Take this time to really evaluate what you're doing - track your typical food intake and see where you are. What changes can you make?

No one will have the magic words for you - they're only words. The action and follow through is on you - and set yourself up for success! You can do it.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #3  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

I probably sound like a broken record on Judith Beck, but I recommend you pick up The Beck Diet Solution, how to train your brain to think like a thin person OR The Beck Diet for Life.

Dr Beck addresses how to diet, how to change the way you think about food, techniques for resisting cravings, techniques for planning your meals--all sorts of things I know that I've found incredibly valuable.

Good luck!
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I think if you know what your triggers are, then you just have to cut them off, much like an addict.

Don't go to Starbucks. If you don't set foot in there, then you won't get those things that are derailing you. Also, as a benefit, you'll save money. Put aside that money you would use for starbucks and save up for a month so you can treat yourself to a pedicure instead, or whatever you would enjoy that is not food related.

For breakfast, how about some greek yogurt with blueberries? You could also sweeten it a bit with some Stevia. Another option would be some string cheese with apple slices. A handful of almonds or maybe some cottage cheese with tomato. You could also start off with some quick oats and sprinkle cinnamon and stevia into it. I don't eat breakfast due to Intermitent Fasting that I"m doing, but for lunch, I'll fry up some sliced veggies (onions, bell pepper, cilantro) and then add in some egg whites and I top this off with mild salsa.

I have spent years trying to deal with my food addiction. What has worked for me recently (but may not be right for others) is Intermittent Fasting and counting calories. Exercise helps me to keep my emotions more leveled so that I"m less likely to experience intense cravings. If I do, I'll have some hot tea or some sugarless gum. I find that getting all my work done, rather than procrastinating, helps curb my anxiety.

I hope you figure it out. I know how hard it can be. Change the voice in your head and remind yourself of how much you have already accomplished! You absolutely know what you're doing and you need to keep telling yourself that all throughout the day.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 350/180/180 (surgery recovery)

Height: 5'9"

Hi! I feel your post could have been mine 2 years ago! There are several ways you can go about it.

1) Make 1 small change each week, and track your weight. The small changes I would do may include:
drink more water, aiming for 64 oz per day
exercise __ more minutes than last week
burn __ more calories exercising than last week
be aware of my calories/count calories, but don't change diet
decease ___calories from last week
eat out __ less meals this week
try ___ new, healthy fruits/veggies (a hard one for me)
buy a pedometer and increase steps by ___ (aiming for 10,000 steps per day)

2)Break into 7 pounds per month. What are you willing to do (healthily) to lose 7 pounds in 1 month? Make those changes for the month. Then next month, decide whether or not to do the same thing/change/add/etc.

I make homemade muffins with almond/coconut flour, eggs, fruit, baking soda, and whatever spices. Most of the carbs come from the fruit, and they are lower carb than regular muffins. I also wrap bacon around asparagus, bake it, and eat it cold for breakfast every morning. It sounds gross, and I really don't like asparagus any other way, but I LOVE it this way.

For lunch/dinner I use ground turkey, carrots, onions, celery, green pepper and spices/eggs to make mini meatloaves, chili, and sloppy joes.

I make an awesome cream of cauliflower soup with ONLY carrots, onions, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, water, yellow mustard, sea salt, and black pepper. You can add cheese and ham if you wish.

I eat lots of grapefruit, strawberries, raspberries, and several bananas (usually after runs).

Good luck!

Chris
ikesgirl80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/311/140

Height: 5'6

Seabiscuit -

First of all, you CAN do this! Here is my advice. Stop going to starbucks or any similar place for breakfast. I know its quick and convenient, but you will save money, and calories by packing your own breakfast or eating it at home. I am a picky eater too, but I have become so much more open minded at trying new things. Experiment with things you haven't tried and see what you like.

I alternate what I eat for breakfast because I get sick of the same foods all the time. But here's some of the more common ones I eat :

- 1 whole egg + 2 egg whites scrambled with chopped veggies (usually green bell peppers and onions, sometimes mushrooms or spinach)

- 2 egg whites + 2 pieces of low sodium turkey bacon

- Half a wheat bagel with either fat free cream cheese, or philadelphia 1/3 less fat flavored cream cheeses (onion & chive)

- 1 Packet of Oatfit oatmeal (Usually cinnamon roll which I add 1-2 extra tsp of cinnamon or I have the maple & brown sugar)

- 1 Banana and a yoplait light yogurt

- Fruit smoothie with fat free plain yogurt, 2-3 fruits and a little bit of simply orange juice or almond milk depending on what fruits I chose

Self control is something you can really work on. I know it might seem hard in the morning to NOT have that pastry but you can do it. I have gotten so much better with self control. I used to eat a whole box of snack cakes if they were sitting on the fridge. Now I can have a large dark chocolate bar on the fridge staring at me and me only have 2 squares when I need a fix, and have it last me 2 months. My fiance and son eat their junk food and its always all over the house but I ignore it, go for my fruit, and keep doing what I'm doing. And it will get easier for you as well.

Last edited by Skettihead03; 05-21-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Skettihead03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #7  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Talking Thank you so much everyone!

Thank you all so much!!

I love the encouragement, accountability ideas and breakfast suggestions! I wrote down the breakfast ideas and put them on my fridge/freezer so I will look at them the next time I go to the supermarket.

I think today I made some progress, I saw some cake in the break room and I didn't have any! I had a salad and light yogurt for lunch instead of something unhealthy! YAY! I am going swimming this afternoon for my second swim lesson and I am looking forward to possibly getting a tennis racket so I can find a tennis partner and and play around here.

Nationalparker- I really like your writing idea! I love to write and I have numerous journals and notebooks so maybe I will do that sometime. I appreciate your candor and your words of honesty and encouragement.
Thanks!

Beth- I have that book, thank you for the reminder to pick it up, that is a smart suggestion. I appreciate the tip. Thanks!

luckymommy- Thank you so much for sharing your experience and what has worked for you. It sounds like you are doing well, that is great! You're right, I will save money and my waistline! I greatly appreciate your support and encouragement! Thanks!

ikesgirl- That is a great accountability exercise that you typed up. I think I am going to start a weight loss/nutrition journal and write some of what you typed in your reply in my journal. Thank you for your encouragement. You make a lot of sense and I appreciate your support. Thanks!

skettihead- Thank you so much for your encouragement and helpful, creative meal ideas!! You're right, I CAN do this, now it's just 'putting the pedal to the metal!' Self control is some thing that I definitely want to continue to work on because I tend to be a bit more impulsive than what is good for me even though I have improved. Thank you so much for your incredibly helpful reply!!

Well, I am off to get ready for my swim lesson, yay!

I am looking forward to having a nice day in the pool working off some of the pounds that I want to shed, haha!!

Take care, be well everyone, thanks again for the replies! They are much appreciated.

Last edited by seabiscuit; 05-21-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #8  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

seabiscuit I hope you had a nice swim! and so glad you received SO MANY great tips.

I hope so much that you are able to realize your goal and be confident and happy seeing your aunt in October.

I agree how hard it is to keep away and break the hold of sweet, cakey things. But if you're like me, the less we have, the less the craving and then seeing a little improvement on the scale or in the jeans helps so much with resolve.

What I have for breakfasts; an apple in slices, with 2 TBSP natural peanut butter.

Cup of greek yogurt with a few berries and grapes and some walnuts..the walnuts are so crunchy and good and have protein.

Two fried eggs, spread all out thin in the pan, take it out, roll it up with some salsa or leftover chili.

If on the road to work, a pack of those cheese and crackers (but only a pack of 4 little crackers) and a square of cheddar cheese, with coffee..that one is not totally great because of the processed crackers, but seems like a big treat now.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #9  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Wink

Hi Vermont Mom!

It's good to see you! Thank you for your encouragement, support and great ideas! How have you been doing?
Old 05-22-2013, 05:24 AM   #10  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Seabiscuit, I have been doing well!! loving that's it May, loving my summer job, but mostly SO VERY PSYCHED at somehow being able to control my appetite and eating sensibly and less! (and doing a new exercise program that is keeping my interest(
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:05 AM   #11  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Make a list of things that will help you achieve the goal that you have set for yourself!
Now take a black marker and draw a line through all the things that you are Not willing to do!
Take that list and look over everything that is left .... This is your Pledge to yourself .. Sign date and have it witnessed ...place it in a prominent place !
Now live this commitment ...this is your contract you made with yourself !
Follow through.... And you will be filled with pride and be rewarded by your diligence!
Good Luck, Roo2
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #12  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Smile Thank you, what a great idea!

Thank you Roo2! I think that this an awesome idea. Signing this will hold me accountable for my actions. Every time I am tempted to go for the junk or get lazy, I can think back to my signature! It will be my testament to my commitment to myself! Yay me!

Thanks again.