NSV- Veggies!

• I've always been a meat/cheese/bread person regarding sandwiches. When I went to Subway, I'd get cucumbers as veggies, and that's it. My thought was very much along the lines of "if I want lettuce and tomato and onions, I'll order a stinking salad!"

Since I've cut meat and most animal products out of my diet, I haven't been to a Subway, until today. I got a sub with lettuce, tomato, pickle, spinach, and cucumbers, and no meat, and I actually enjoyed it!

It may seem silly, but that's a big deal for me- veggies have never belonged on a sandwich, and now they ARE the sandwich!
  • Kudos! That's awesome!
  • YAY! you'll find (IF you're like me) that your tastes change significantly and lots of (healthy) foods you never liked before you now LOVE!

i used to hate blueberries, apples, crunchy purple cabbage, etc. etc. and now those are staples in my diet
  • whoooooooot good on ya....yeps now i am living on mainly fruit and vege...i have meat about twice a week now...and i enjoy it on those days but i make sure i have my veges too..i have a huge old steamer that i use..i just cut up whatever i like and chuck her in...and wallah a nice plate of veges for tea!!...i sooo love salad too but i find the lettuce goes bad by the time i eat it all!!..lol..lol...cheers liz
  • Congrats

Quote: YAY! you'll find (IF you're like me) that your tastes change significantly and lots of (healthy) foods you never liked before you now LOVE!

i used to hate blueberries, apples, crunchy purple cabbage, etc. etc. and now those are staples in my diet
    What do you use purple cabbage in? I like it but need some new ideas
  • hmmm i think purple cabbage is great in coleslaw if you like it...also steamed with a bit of apple and perhaps some onion???...is good for stir frys too i think!!...cheers liz
  • cool thanks for sharing I am newly vegan here and this gives me some ideas like I can make myself a veggie sandwich with some good mustard on it :O mm always can use new ideas. I'm doing a b12 supplement once a week right now but I'm wondering if maybe having a piece of fish once a week would be better? Like fish on friday sort of thing what are you all doing? Or maybe do both the supplement and the fish once a week? Just wondering what you all do I'm still kinda wary I'm going to get deficiencies lol.

Oh also I agree your tastes change I used to hate apples and they gave me a stomach ache too but now I love them and no longer get the stomach ache not sure what that was about. But yeah the healthy food just keeps tasting better and better and when I think of the old stuff I was eating its like yuck. Pretty weird how that works.