Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 11-15-2012, 12:24 AM   #1  
Japanese Student

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

Default My first runner's high?

So I was just out running, and right now I've gotten to the point where I run one mile without stopping, and then alternate walking-running for the second mile. About a fourth of the way through my first mile, I'm thinking, "Oh this is gonna suck..." but once I got to the point of being almost done, I started realizing... that this wasn't that bad. My breathing had evened out. My legs were definitely feeling the aching that comes from running, but it was bearable. So I began to think, "Well, since i'm feeling so confident, why don't I go for the second mile without stopping?"
And I did. My breathing stayed constant, it never got heavy. My legs continued to bear with the aching. It was as if it was all second-nature. I felt like I could run forever. 3 miles, 4 miles, on and on and on. I forced myself to stop because this month, for the sake of consistency, I decided my runs be for two miles. And when I stopped, my legs felt so confused, plus my breathing returned to being through the nose in less than two minutes. I'm not worn out from my run like I usually am.
I'm so amazed, I can barely believe it. I wondered how runners could go for miles without needing to stop, but I guess once you're into it, it's not really that bad. I wasn't going at a record-breaking speed or anything, but I was running.
I really hope this keeps up, because if it does, running won't be all that bad anymore. I may even go out more, and then of course, my weightloss as well as overall health will be on a high.
Spiritix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

Height: 5'8"

That's amazing! Congratulations! When you get to this point in running I feel like it becomes as much about therapy as it does about exercise. I find running very cathartic.

I think you were wise to stop though. Doing too much - no matter how great you feel - could cause you to overdo it and ruin the experience...but if you keep feeling really great at the end of 2 miles I see now reason why you can't increase the distance. You might even try doing a run/walk sequence for the 3rd mile to get your body used to the time on your feet.

Congrats again!
gymrat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 82.2/78.5/64

Height: 176

Congrats! It always feels great when you get to that point where you feel like you could run forever.
AmyAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #4  
Japanese Student

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

Thank you you two!
Spiritix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #5  
Days Go By So Quickly

S/C/G: 194.4/174.2/160

Height: 5'6"

I know that feeling, but unlike you, i was unwise and kept going. I cycle for fun, and once I went for 60 miles, (20 over my normal) and my legs were all $#@&^%!E$@*&^!@$!!!! at me the next morning.

My personal trainer says "Strength comes easily, Endurance takes determination"
BleuMaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #6  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

It takes longer than that for me (about 1/2 hour) but when I get the runner's high- it's euphoric. Nothing hurts, I feel like I could go forever. It's usually something I achieve after I've pushed through a wall of fatigue. It's my reward.

Not that I've had a runners high in some time...I haven't been running in a while.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #7  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Congrats...!!! Runner's "high" is awesome isn't it? Definitely keeps me coming back for more... takes me about an hour or so these days... and when I hit the 2 hour mark these days sometimes it feels like my feet aren't even hitting the ground!!! There really is nothing quite like it...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote