My Big, Fat Minigoal

• When I first came across the idea of setting minigoals, I wasn't sure what I should use. I thought one nice one might be getting out of the 40+ BMI "morbidly obese" category--since, after all, health is my primary motivator, and the word "morbidly" is wicked scary.

I thought another good one would be the halfway point. It's classic, symmetrical, and provides me with a nice little mental push. "Hey, you're closer to the end than to the beginning!"

Finally, I thought that weighing less than my boyfriend would be nice. It's a cute little psychological motivator, and, as he's not particularly skinny himself, is a nice, attainable goal.

I'm 5'7". I started at around 360 and want to end up at 150. And my boyfriend weighed in at 256 pounds. Therefore, all three of those minigoals I worked so hard to come up with? They're all 255 pounds.

I hit that today. Well, I hit 254 today, not 255, which is even better. 253.4, to be ridiculously precise, but I rounded up.

I feel amazingly different. I have way more stamina, I fit into much cuter clothing. I no longer feel like my sole characteristic in the eyes of others is "fat." They might remember I wear glasses now, or that I constantly fidget with my hands. I don't get winded. My verging-on-asthma symptoms have by and large vanished. My pajamas are all falling off my butt, and I've managed to now have underwear that's too big. Which is ridiculous, really, as I was barely even aware that they came in sizes in the first place.

I know that I've still got miles to go before I sleep, and that the longer part is likely still ahead of me, what with pounds per week being higher when you weigh more and all. But today, at least, I feel freaking awesome!
  • What a great post! Congarats on reaching your mini-goal.. . . how wonderful you must be feeling right about now! Mini-goals are great little motivators and also help keeps things in perspective. Sometimes the big picture can be overwhelming and breaking it up into manageable, do-able minigoals is a great way to move things along. Enjoy your success and thanks for sharing!

• Inspiration
    I don't know you, but I'm sure proud of you. That is an amazing loss. Please tell me what you are doing, so that I can incorporate more stuff into my regimen. I'm hitting a plateau I guess.

I haven't really ever made any mini-goals as far as weight goes. I just try to eat better, regulate my soda intake and try to walk more.
  • Awesome job!
  • Very inspiring, funny, and awesome post. Congrats on all your success!! If you came this far, you can definitely go the rest of the way, and we'll be here to cheer you on. As a side note, my same goal was to weigh less than my boyfriend too - it's a pretty sweet motivator lol :-D

I can't wait for your next little or big success - you have a way with words.
  • Quote: I don't know you, but I'm sure proud of you. That is an amazing loss. Please tell me what you are doing, so that I can incorporate more stuff into my regimen. I'm hitting a plateau I guess.

I haven't really ever made any mini-goals as far as weight goes. I just try to eat better, regulate my soda intake and try to walk more.
    Honestly, I wasn't going to do minigoals later, but then the ticker moved so slowly, I felt like I should do something to break up the monotony. I can only watch one pixel movements for so long!

I've not really been doing anything too special. I'm a Calorie Counter(TM), and I've been lifting weights and walking. Also obsessive scale-watching, but I think that's just 'cause I was scared of it for so long that I'm making up for lost time.

Also, re: everyone--thanks!
  • Way to go!
  • Woot Woot! You rock girl! Celebrate your success!!!
  • Awesome Work!!
  • That's so awesome! Congratulations and what a cool coincidence that everything converged at that one number! It might slow down at some point, but you're ever closer to goal and ever closer to the body type you want!

And as a side note, I've seen your posts here before and you are always so well-spoken (written?).
  • Wow. You've lost over 100 pounds. That is awesome!!!!
  • Go Ga-abe! Go Ga-abe! You win the frenchgirl motivator of the day award! Congratulations!
  • That's amazing! Congrats!
  • Congrats! I enjoyed reading your post and how you came up with your mini goals that were all wrapped up in one. Not sure how "mini" it is, but you did it!