3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Mini-Goals (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals-201/)
-   -   NSV Getting rid of clothes & surviving the fair (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals/211163-nsv-getting-rid-clothes-surviving-fair.html)

Rochester 08-28-2010 09:51 AM

NSV Getting rid of clothes & surviving the fair

The scale has NOT been my friend this summer. I had really hoped to be much further in my weight loss journey at this point. I seem to be simply exchanging muscle for fat, pound for pound. But despite the fact that the numbers on the scale are not changing, my measurements have changed drastically. And so have the sizes!

None of my summer clothes fit anymore, and as the weather has turned chillier in the last couple weeks, I've pulled out some autumn/winter clothes, and none of those fit at all. Today I'm being brave and hauling all of it - 4 garbage bags! - to the thrift store and saying goodbye to Round 1 of Fat Clothes! (And desperately hoping I can find some replacements! ;) )

My other major success of the week is that I survived the county fair. In my town, and with my friends and family, the fair is a HUGE deal. It's always been a tradition that everyone basically lives at the fairgrounds for the week. And that means lots of opportunities to eat lots of bad food! I did eat a few things during the week, but very much in moderation, and I planned for the calories with the rest of my food for the day.

The Friday night ritual has always been to get together with a group of friends and eat our way around the fair. Everyone buys one or two things and everyone shares so that you get to enjoy a bit of all your favorites. I didn't participate last night!

Surviving the fair is also a huge mental/emotional breakthrough. The fair always felt like 7 days of hanging out with thousands of other binge eaters. It was like all the normal rules of eating were suspended and no way questioned if you ate for 12 hours and consumed 9,000 calories. The ultimate liberation for a binge eater! But this week I realized that I didn't want to be like everyone else....especially when I started noticing how many people were obese and wondering how we have become a culture with a predominance of fat unhealthy people.

BecomingMaggie 08-29-2010 08:18 AM

Congrats on resisting the fair food! It feels good when you notice that you have changed the way that you look at things. And congratulations on cleaning out the closest! I know that I need to...bit the poor girl I am wants to hold on to them a little longer.

Shades 08-29-2010 10:04 AM

I have the opposite ideas about my old clothes that are too small. I want to hang on to them to inspire me to be able to fit into them again one day.
I can look at a lovely outfit and picture myself walking around in it.
It really inspires me to want to lose weight.
Because I gained my weight so fast I have a large wardrobe full of hardly worn clothes just waiting for me to wear again.
They are a huge motivation.

p.s. I have been trying to work out what NSV stands for. Is it New Smaller Version?:?:

Rochester 08-29-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shades (Post 3457709)
p.s. I have been trying to work out what NSV stands for. Is it New Smaller Version?:?:

NonScale Victory - Milestones besides scale numbers that reflect success on the weightloss journey

Onederchic 08-29-2010 05:03 PM

Congrats!!

saef 08-29-2010 05:49 PM

Good for you. I understand the extent of your victory. When I visit my mother in Upstate NY, she urges me to stick around for another few days & attend the opening of the NY State Fair. And I always tell her, "No, because most people just go to the Fair to eat." Really, I'd like to go to the Fair & look at the animals -- I don't see farm animals anymore where I live, except what's skinned & placed on styrofoam trays in the grocery store -- and watch the show jumping at the horse show in the Colliseum. But I stay away because I know all the food stands & the aromas & the general air of permissiveness that you so perceptively mentioned would be difficult to fight. I could win the fight, I know that at this point, but the thought of having to go through it just tires me out.

You know what made it easier? Seeing a photograph of old friends of mine who got together a couple weeks ago. They live locally & they all go to the Fair, as your friends do. But not all week -- usually just one day. Let's just say, when I was at my old weight, I would have fit right in with them as far as my appearance goes. Now I'm a complete anomaly. I look like someone who's living a different life. And I am. But I work very, very hard at it, and avoid problems that are avoidable, and sadly, that's how I see the Fair: As a problem, which I don't need to bring upon myself.