3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Mini-Goals (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals-201/)
-   -   C25K Grad/5K Race (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals/210608-c25k-grad-5k-race.html)

Rochester 08-21-2010 10:50 AM

C25K Grad/5K Race

I completed the Couch to 5K running program today with an official 5K race! The course was brutal. Very hilly without a flat stretch in the whole course. And the one hill was about a 60 degree angle and I had to do that TWICE.

Official results:
Time - 43:36.
Placed 23 of 40 in my age group

I'm so freakin' happy and proud of myself I just want to cry. When I started C25K I couldn't even run for 60 seconds. I've never been athletic and I've never run before in my life. But I persevered and I kept pushing myself and...wowza....today was such an accomplishment!

:cloud9:

jeanies 08-21-2010 11:13 AM

Awesome!!!!! My first is coming up Sept.12 and I am on wk 8 of c25k and feeling doubtful that I will finish without walk breaks.

applelady 08-21-2010 12:17 PM

Wow that is great!!!! I am still on the couch. I keep thinking I want to start training when the weather gets a little less humid around here. What age group were you in? When did you begin running? What was your fitness level prior to beginning the couch 2 5k program?

dudesmom 08-21-2010 12:45 PM

Awesome!!! I'm going to be starting this soon, I've started before but stopped because I got pregnant. Now I am so nervous about it, and not sure why. It's nice to see that it can be done! Congrats!

ninepaw 08-21-2010 02:10 PM

Rochester, I am SO proud of you!!! Going through C25K myself while you have has been an AWESOME little experience! I'm so glad that you ran this race and totally kicked butt!!! :D :carrot:

Bigmid 08-21-2010 02:31 PM

Congratulations!!!!!!!! That's awesome and seems like a really good time to me. I am on W5 and about to do day 3 tomorrow the full 20min run...scared of that one.
Amazing accomplishment.

MK2010 08-21-2010 05:24 PM

:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:
You have done SOOOO well. I am trying to run at the moment and I can't imagine actually being able to ever run 5K. I hope you have done a whole heap of happy dancing. It shouldn't be a problem for you to do loads of happy dancing as you are the definition of fit now!

Onederchic 08-21-2010 05:29 PM

Awesome!!

Robsia 08-21-2010 05:29 PM

Well done!! I completed the C25K without having an official race - it would have been nice.

But my first proper race was a 10K - that's your next goal!!

And yes, you CAN do it. If you can run 5K, you can do 10!

You're fab!

Robsia 08-21-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by applelady (Post 3446933)
Wow that is great!!!! I am still on the couch. I keep thinking I want to start training when the weather gets a little less humid around here. What age group were you in? When did you begin running? What was your fitness level prior to beginning the couch 2 5k program?

You are in the perfect position to begin training as you are at a low weight and therefore have less to drag around with you.

I didn't start running till I hit my first goal. I subsequently only lost about 3 lbs but dropped a size from a US 6 to a US 4.

My fitness level was ZERO.

Get some decent running shoes and a good sports bra and get out there and run - you won't regret it I promise - the C25K rocks!!

caribbeangirl02 08-21-2010 05:39 PM

Way to go Rochester!! We are proud of you!!
I am still struggling with Week 4 but I promess myself that I will finish the program no matter how long it takes me...

Caribbean Girl

Sandman79 08-21-2010 11:23 PM

That is awesome! My wife and me did our first one today!!!

applelady 08-22-2010 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robsia (Post 3447266)
You are in the perfect position to begin training as you are at a low weight and therefore have less to drag around with you.

I didn't start running till I hit my first goal. I subsequently only lost about 3 lbs but dropped a size from a US 6 to a US 4.

My fitness level was ZERO.

Get some decent running shoes and a good sports bra and get out there and run - you won't regret it I promise - the C25K rocks!!

Thanks I think I'm gonna try it:dizzy:

Rochester 08-22-2010 06:57 AM

Best of luck to everyone who is hitting the road and planning races! Running is AMAZING! :D

Thanks for all the inspiring comments! :hug:

By the way, hills do torturous things to the thigh muscles. I haven't hurt this much the day after since Week 1 of C25K! ;) Yowza.

@Diana - I agree...and I can't wait to hear about your first 5K.

Quote:

Originally Posted by applelady (Post 3446933)

My fitness level was lower than zero. :lol: I literally got off the couch and started running. I don't know why I thought it was a good idea...but I'm glad I did! It has been the most phenomenal experience to discover what my body is capable of and to tap into this 'I won't quit" fighter mentality.

I started the Couch to 5K running plan on June 1. (It took me 12 weeks to complete instead of 9 weeks because I had to repeat a few weeks...partly for fitness reasons, partly for other reasons.)

I competed in the 40-49 age group. Thank goodness not all the runners were the skinny teenagers who can run a 6 minute mile :eek: or I would have felt like a total loser. :)

envelope 08-22-2010 12:17 PM

You did it!!! I am so excited for you, WTG Rochester!!!

Had you trained on hills at all? Yesterday I tried hills and they totally kicked my ummmm, thigh muscles. ;)