First 5k.

• Me and my running partner completed our first 5k today. Let me tell you about it!

Well, first of all, we live in the middle of nowhere. So we signed up for a 5k about two hours away from home, just to compete with other people! We were used to running on a football track on flat land and we didn't really consider what this particular area was like.. at home on our track we can go 49 minutes.

Well, we got there today and it was all STEEP hills. I was freaking out! I knew I wasn't ready for any extreme hills and seeing them bummed us both out at first because we had trained so hard. But we had traveled two hours, we paid a fee, and our family was there. So we sucked it up and did it anyhow.

This race benefitted a Children's charity, which is very important to us both. When we were running down the hills we were making great time. On the way up, the hills were just brutal. They were so steep and not what we were used to. Well, a little girl passed us when we were going up a hill - she was going down the hill (because you had to travel so far and turn around and come back to the starting line to finish). She was in a wheel chair! So for some reason that gave me more strength and I managed to pull forward.

All in all we actually beat our time at home. We completed the whole thing in 44 minutes! I am very proud of us both and I can't wait to do another 5k in the future.
  • You must admit - running hills, in the end, is SO amazing! Congrats! Did you feel amazing the rest of the day?
  • Wow, congratulations! That's a doubly good achievement--you proved to yourself that you could do it even under daunting circumstances. You GO!!
  • WOOHOO!! Congrats!!!
  • Great job!
  • Way to go!!!! I am signed up for my first 5k in October! You are really inspiring! I love to read people success stories, it keeps me going when I want to stop!!!!