Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 12-03-2009, 02:19 AM   #1  
Hopeless but harmless

Height: 5'5"

Default My outlook has changed dramatically

I was totally demoralized and downhearted when my husband found this site. I'm 59 and have been dieting for most of those years! I must have spent a fortune. I lose the weight but pile it back on again.
Feeling I had nothing to lose I went to my doctor and that was the start of a new me.
I've thrown the scales away and working with a dietician I am losing the weight slowly.
The support and encouragement I have had on here is amazing. I've started to feel good about me, and from reading other stories, I know that I will take the weight off and keep it off.
I'm not on a diet exactly, no food is bad food so long as you have it in moderation. I eat 3 meals a day, don't have to buy any special food or formula and I'm not spending any extra money.
The pain in my knees and ankles will improve with each pound off, I can feel a difference already.
My doctor and dietician have noticed how I've changed and how much this community has helped me. I have a massive amount of weight to lose so, when I've been on here 20 days and can have a ticker, I'm going to take it a stone (14lbs) at a time.
I'll be here for a very long time but I know now that I can do it.
I'm sorry if there are mistakes in this, I have lost my reading glasses and am using my old pair which aren't so good
Dinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 227/159/148

Height: 5'9"

Dinky, it is also my goal to lose my last 20lbs very very slowly. I certainly can lose weight VERY quickly - but that obviously hasn't stuck with me in the past, as my problem is still there! So, my goal is to actually lose the last 20lbs within the next year.

Cheers!
bonnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #3  

Height: 5'11"

Dinky, I know how you feel. I actually started out at a very similar weight to yours. This time last year, I was so depressed and disheartened. I felt like it would be impossible for me to lose much weight, and it would be slow and wouldn't matter, etc.

Fast forward to this year. The time has zipped by. I've lost 55 pounds, which is about 1.3 pounds a week (give or take). I'm currently in a month-long stall, and I almost don't care because I feel SO MUCH BETTER. You will be amazed at what a difference a year makes, even with weight loss as slow as what mine has been. My mental state is better, my health is TONS better, and I look better.

I congratulate you on your healthy, sane approach to your weight-loss goals. I know that you will be successful!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #4  
Hopeless but harmless

Thaks so much Windchime, you don't know how much that has helped. Hubby keeps saying, think ahead to this time next year and keep that image of yourself in your mind.

Bonnie we can do it! More haste less speed.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #5  
I ♥ Life!

S/C/G: 231/221/150

Height: 5'3"

You are so adorable, Binky! Your post made me smile.

It sounds to me like you are doing all of the right things, keep up the good work, and you will be at your goal before you know it!
Dulce Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #6  
Weigh Down Yonder

Yay Dinky!
I can't tell you how happy I am reading your post today - I am so glad that everything is going so well!

I remember reading your introduction post and how much you touched my heart - I felt your pain, fear and frustration because of the journey ahead of you. I am so excited to read of your progress and your success so far - I know it will take a while - for me, too, I have a lot to lose as well - but look what you have accomplished already in such a short time - you have proof of what a difference it has made and that you can do this!

The first time you wrote I wanted to give you a hug to comfort and reassure you - now I still want to give you a hug but this time it's to congratulate you & celebrate your success!

Keep up the good work - remember, it's a day at a time but with lots of company along the way!
leeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 222/196/135

Height: 5'2"

Congratulations on finding what works for you and good luck with the rest of your journey and thank you for sharing your experience with us!
initfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:13 AM   #8  
Hopeless but harmless

Leeway! I've missed you! Did I tell you that my dietician is recommending this site to other patients? She says you are all miracle workers by the confidence you have given me.
Thanks Dulce Vita too.
I found bits of my reading glasses last night, our labrador had chewed them! More fool me for leaving them on top of my crochet when I went to the phone
Old 12-04-2009, 05:57 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinky View Post
Leeway! I've missed you! Did I tell you that my dietician is recommending this site to other patients? She says you are all miracle workers by the confidence you have given me.
Thanks Dulce Vita too.
I found bits of my reading glasses last night, our labrador had chewed them! More fool me for leaving them on top of my crochet when I went to the phone
What is life without a cheeky labrador?

This website is an *amazing* resource. This is the first time I've *really* dieted, and the weight-loss is beginning to happen, and I'm confident you're going to lose too.
yossarianlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 229/163/150

Height: 5"4

Congratulations on your new outlook!! I have also gotten a whole new outlook on life. I am very happy I have decided to go all the way this time
kaylasmom010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:32 AM   #11  
Hopeless but harmless

Another pound off today! After Christmas, they will be just weighing me weekly. I know I've only lost a fleabite but I can see a little change in my shape. Silly I know, but It's very welcome!

We can do this Kay, slow but show love.

How's Edinburgh Yossarian? Haven't been to the fringe for years.

Last edited by Dinky; 12-07-2009 at 04:33 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #12  
Hopeless but harmless

I'm trying to set up a ticker. I've been here 20 days already... not having much luck, but watch this space!
Old 12-09-2009, 12:59 AM   #13  
Weigh Down Yonder

Dinky!

You're halfway to achieving your first mini-goal - how great is that? Good for you!

See - you're much stronger than you gave yourself credit for - keep up the good work and watch that ticker move on down - I know your husband, dietician and doctor must be so pleased and proud of your progress (and I hope you are, too)!

Take care,
Lee

Last edited by leeway; 12-09-2009 at 01:01 AM.
leeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:00 AM   #14  
Hopeless but harmless

Think I got it! Off to have a strong coffee and 2 aspirin now! They didn't have pocket calculators when I was in school, let alone computers.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinky View Post
Another pound off today! After Christmas, they will be just weighing me weekly. I know I've only lost a fleabite but I can see a little change in my shape. Silly I know, but It's very welcome!

We can do this Kay, slow but show love.

How's Edinburgh Yossarian? Haven't been to the fringe for years.
Edinburgh's good. Very, very, cold just now--I don't know why I'm surprised every year at the temperature, but I am... I did the typical Edinburgh-er thing and didn't go to anything of the Fringe this year... again. Oops!
yossarianlives is offline   Reply With Quote