My Introduction

• Let me start with I'm a guy. I hope it's okay that I registered here. I went through the rules and reg's and didn't see any problem with it, so hopefully my presence doesn't bother anyone.

I wanted to first of all say hello to everyone and congratulate those who have found their way to losing pounds. I know what it's like. I'm 31, and stand at just under 5'09''. For some time now I got up to (and stayed at) 231 pounds. In my late teens/early 20's I was high 170's, maybe low 180's. The extra 50 some-odd pounds sure made their presence known, not just in looks but in physical strain on my body, and even my (ex) relationship.

Well....about 5 months ago I decided enough was enough and it was time to change. I had no idea where to start but somehow stumbled on to the Atkins diet. I read up about it, thought "hey I can do this...I think"....and long story short, had some success (and still going). As I said, I started at 231 pounds, and as of yesterday morning, I was 202. This loss of 29 pounds came without exercise. What changed was my way of eating and what I ate. The hardest part was no longer being able to have pasta, potato's, rice, chocolate/candy, regular milk, etc. But surprisingly enough, it wasn't all "that hard". I buy those shakes and bars they sell (prices aren't bad if you know where to shop) and basically do not strave or deprieve myself. There's lots that I can eat, steak, chicken, fish, deli meats and cheeses, peanuts, certain ice creams, low-carb milk, certain cereals, (there's quite a few low carb foods out there I've come to find). One thing I should mention....the first 20 of the 29 pounds felt like they came off quicker than the last 9, . Now, this doesn't mean the first 20 came off in the first month; that would be too much too fast and would seem like a "fake" loss that would potentially be put back on. But what once was about 1.6 pounds a week, has now slowed to maybe a pound. Maybe its time for some exercise.

Anyway, this is just me introducing myself to you all, ...glad to be here!

• hey, welcome :] you've done a really good job so far! I just started the diet atkins as well. I'm not as strict as I should be, but I'm exercising more than ever. I'm getting stricter on myself as days pass though (grilled chicken instead of fried.. u know) so we're kind of in opposite positions. well, good luck, I'm glad you joined :] and no, there's no problem with the fact that you're a guy. other guys have joined, too
  • Hi!!! Guys are definitely welcome!!! There's even a men's thread somewhere around here, but I couldn't find it. Congratulations on your weight loss!!! From what I hear, it's easier to lose the weight at the beginning, so it's normal and healthy for you to be losing 1 or 2 pounds a week now. Exercise sounds like a great idea!!! I hope you make yourself right at home here! This is a great place for friendship and support! Here is the Atkins forum:
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...ysprune=&f=226
  • We have a few guys around here, and they are GREAT! Congrats on your loss so far!

I hope you will come back often, 3FC is a great resource on your journey!
  • Hi and welcome! Congrats on your success thus far. I think lots of "losers" focus on diet in the beginning, then exercise later on. My 1st 20 came off relatively quick too. Sometimes now I'll only see 1/2 pound loss in a week, and a few weeks, nada! As long as you have realistic expectations, and hang in there through the journey, you will do AWESOME! You are doing great, keep up the good work!
  • Welcome and on your success thus far.
  • You did a good job! Cograts!