Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 04-30-2007, 09:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/130/120

Height: 5'3 (or less)

Default new here. my story.

okay, so i should start off by mentioning that i am new to this site, this forum, and this whole dieting thing.
i'm going to be seventeen in a week.
last year at this time i weighed

123lbs. fantastic, eh?

well, i didnt really think so, because my weight was so up and down as a child, i continually saw myself as the fat girl, no matter what my body really looked like. and then, i guess i thought myself invincible, because i began to eat. i had extra money lying around, to go out for pizza, burgers, or just get a snack whenever i wanted. i didn't notice at all what was happening to me. when my mother eventually pointed out that i was gaining weight, and my clothes started getting tighter. but i still didn't notice how much weight i had gained in such little time. in june 2006, i weighed 123. by october, i was close to 160. then i stayed in denial about the whole thing until about christmas time, where i began to blame it on the birth control pills i had recently started. when i saw my doctor about it at the end of january 2007, i knew what he was going to tell me, but i didnt want to hear it. it was just me. so i knew what i had to do. my mom gave me a book by a nutrionist she had seen speak in public a few times, and i started the natural makeover diet (drjoey.com). i didnt think it was working because my scale told me i was 170 and my mirror didnt reflect any changes. as it turns out, my scale is broken, and the mirror in my room had begun to bend outwards in the middle, creating a sort of funhouse mirror effect, making me shorter and wider than i really am.

on an actual working scale, i am now

135lbs

just ten pounds to go until my goal weight.

for those who have a much larger (no pun intended) battle with weight than i, you may be thinking that a) 160 is not very big and b) and that 20-25 pounds is not a very big loss.
but for those of us, on the smaller end of big, losing weight and toning up is difficult when you arent that big to begin with.

so i just wanted to share my story, of a kid who nipped a problem in the bud, and is on her way to healthy.

maybe i'll get down to a fit, lean 120.
but i work at a pizza place,
so probably not.

i'm an aspiring photographer, so maybe i'll post some pictures later.

thanks for listening.

Last edited by coolhandsarrah; 04-30-2007 at 09:25 AM.
coolhandsarrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:31 AM   #2  

Wow, nice story! That's very impressive coming from anyone, but especially a young adult. How amazing that you did it with healthy eating and not crash dieting, which is what many teenagers do (speaking from experience as a former teenaged woman and former HS teacher).

25 pounds isn't a small loss, no matter how much you have to lose. It's especially difficult though, when, like you said, that you have less to lose. You should (and must) feel so proud of yourself! This is a major lifestyle change and you've set yourself up for more victories in other areas of your life. When a woman thinks very little of herself, others think even less. But when a woman values herself, she is a force to be reckoned with!

Great job!
cjc92802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:34 PM   #3  
STi

You go girl!!
STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 187/187/145

Height: 5'03

GOOD JOB!!!!! I know it is harder the less you weigh to lose. So keep on going!!!! I know you will meet your goal soon!!!!
pacemomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 275/270/160

Height: 5'6

hi everyone im 21 in ohio i am looking to lose 120 pounds i am 280 pounds i want to weigh 150 i want to be healthier and feel confident if anyone has motivation storys or want to support me id appreciate it
Hungariangina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:32 AM   #6  

Location: Southeast Asia. That's why my postings look like middle of the night.

S/C/G: 178/177/??

Height: 5' 3.5"

HungarianGina,
Good luck. I'm sure you can do it with time and motivation. Being 21
gives you a lot of advantages that older people don't have.
You might want to start your own thread on a different forum because
people won't want to dilute from CoolHandSarrah's celebration thread
with a totally different topic about getting started.

Getting starting is really hard and the motivation has to come from
inside you. After you start getting some success, the motivation might
snowball and grow, so maybe you can try to focus on getting a plan for
losing a small amount. Also, the first 2-3 weeks of adjusting
to lower calories can be really hard, and the first sore muscles when
you start exercise can be discouraging, but if you get through those
first weeks, you'll have made a significant change that you can be
proud of.
Many older people sometimes list their most recent high as their highest
weight, even if they've been much bigger at some time in the past.
There are a lot of people who have been in situations like yours and
are cheering for you to succeed.

CoolHandSarrah,
Congratulations, you must be so psyched. Thanks for sharing your
story.
Lisa
DeterminedLisa is offline   Reply With Quote