3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Metabolic Research Center (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/metabolic-research-center-228/)
-   -   How much did you have to lose before (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/metabolic-research-center/295813-how-much-did-you-have-lose-before.html)

beachrunner695 05-15-2014 01:03 PM

How much did you have to lose before

People started noticing? I've lost 14 pounds and hardly anyone has said a word...and I know I shouldn't care about that, but it would be so encouraging if someone said something about it! I don't know if it's just not that noticeable because I'm so tall, or people just are too polite to say anything, or what. Everyone knows I'm on this diet so I don't know why they wouldn't say anything about it...I need some positive reinforcement! How much did you guys lose before it became obvious?

canadjineh 05-15-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachrunner695 (Post 5004493)
People started noticing? I've lost 14 pounds and hardly anyone has said a word...and I know I shouldn't care about that, but it would be so encouraging if someone said something about it! I don't know if it's just not that noticeable because I'm so tall, or people just are too polite to say anything, or what. Everyone knows I'm on this diet so I don't know why they wouldn't say anything about it...I need some positive reinforcement! How much did you guys lose before it became obvious?

Are you still wearing the same clothes just belted in a little tighter or are they just hanging a bit on you? Sometimes people don't notice because the clothing fits looser and hides the loss. Time for something a little more formfitting, lol. THEN they will notice. I am 5'8" too and it took close to 20 lbs before people started commenting - but I wore a lot of the same t-shirts and elastic waist skirts and sweatpants that I did before. When I bought new clothes then they noticed.
Liana

gumdropmom 05-15-2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachrunner695 (Post 5004493)

14 lbs is awesome! Keep at it. I am the same height. When I hit about 15 lbs lost it was so funny because SO MANY people were asking..."have you changed your hair"? "Something's different...not sure...but something". The loss was suddenly noticed but no one knew exactly what was different. Another 5-10 lbs off and everyone's question became "wow! have you lost weight?". They'll eventually notice. Part of it for me was I wasn't wearing new clothes until I had to...once my pants started falling off of me and I had to buy them smaller it was kind of obvious. Be encouraged with your progress and don't worry about what people are or are not thinking. You're doing it for you...not them. :) I read an article somewhere on the forum about weight loss and actually SEEING it likened to a roll of paper towel. Initially, when you begin to peel sheets from the roll, nothing about it looks different...til you hit the middle of the roll and then suddenly with every sheet peeled off the remaining roll definitely appears smaller. It is great perspective.

beachrunner695 05-15-2014 01:31 PM

LOL I love the paper towel analogy!

I've been getting a few questions about whether I changed my hair or something, too. Still wearing the same clothes mostly, although I've gotten rid of some things that were already on the large side before I started losing and after 14 pounds they just looked ridiculous. I hate to buy new clothes before I get close to my goal...but I'm so close to getting into some 10s that I have from last time I got thin. Maybe by next week. :-)

Going4Fit 05-17-2014 12:11 AM

I think for the most part people are just too polite. I know I never comment on people's weight loss myself, unless they are specifically talking to me about it.

For me, I lost a ton of weight before people starting commenting. I'm talking probably 40-50 pounds. And then it was all negative comments. "Are you sick?", "Don't you think you've lost too much?", "When are you going to stop?", "You won't be able to maintain such a low weight." Yadda, yadda, yadda.

What I learned is that it's apparently okay for thin people to be thin. They are even envied and admired. But it's not okay for larger people to get thin. If we get thin we're "too hard on ourselves", "too strict" with our food intake, and "look unhealthy". Good thing I wasn't doing it for them, but I sure wish they would have kept their mouths shut. Funny how none of them had anything to say when I was ballooning up several sizes the year before.

The paper towel analogy is a great one. You can read the whole version of it here:Paper Towel Theory by Bob White

Beachgirlwannabe 05-17-2014 07:46 PM

I lost 40 lbs 2 years ago, and it was probably 25 or more pounds before anyone said anything! Like the others said, you are doing it for yourself and your health, but sure feels nice when others notice. I was almost to my goal before my brother said anything, and when he did I said I wondered if you noticed, and he replied "sure I did, just didn't know whether to say anything!" My son said the same thing, so I guess they didn't say anything when I gained and I liked that!! As to the clothing issue, I agree with all the other comments. I became a big resale shopper, took my own to resell, (because I'm not going back there!) and then bought for myself. Also, Goodwill (better known as GW Boutique) Almost all of my new wardrobe those places. So, you could get a few things from resale shops and not feel guilty! Keep up the good work. P.S. I regained about 14 lbs, but am back on plan, and have 4 off.

IanG 05-17-2014 09:06 PM

About 80lbs. Ever since, I've been the talk of the town. Not always in a good way. Be careful what you wish for.

BigNomore71 05-19-2014 07:18 PM

I am 5'6" and I have lost 32 lbs which is around 15% (I guess) of my body weight (@ SW 229 lbs) and just now 2 people at the gym noticed and said that I'm looking good with the weight loss. But other than that, no one else -- including my husband yet has noticed any big changes in me. However I am down a dress size (size 18 - 16). I think when I get around the 45 lbs lost mark, many more people would recognize it. I guess the weight loss becomes obvious when you have lost 2 dress sizes.

clarissairene 05-20-2014 09:49 AM

I read something on facebook... it was a motivational type picture and it said :
It takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changin
8 Weeks for your friends to notice
and 12 weeks for the rest of the world to notice.
Then it says... give it 12 weeks, dont give up.