MRC April 2014

You're on Page 4 of 13
Go to
  • Well I go weigh in tomorrow at the center, will probably have a gain but I'm anxious to get measured because I know I've lost more inches, march 8th I had lost 9" and now that I'm back in my 8's and 10's I know I've lost a lot more. Not too worried about the scales anymore, just how my clothes fit. since I started back the second time I've only lost 7lbs in 7 wks so that's 1lb a week which is okay. I only have until 4/23 to reach my goal and I don't think that will happen but that's okay I will eventually get there. I'll post my results. I find that once I reach the green menu and have been on it for awhile I get so bored with the same foods every day, I just cant stay with it. For the most part I will but I still need a little pick me up.
  • Congrats Selway and Badger on dusting yourself off and getting right back on the program. I hope the cravings are settling back down for you.

Welcome Beachrunner. Wow!! Great loss. Congrats.

Skelley: Hang in there...you are so close to goal. Maybe you can spice things up with the way you prepare the foods to keep from getting bored. There are some pretty great ethnic twists that jazz up chicken, fish and beef.

I'm still on plan and watching the scale inch down. Finally saw a little break in the plateau....only 1 pound, but I'll take it! I've lost 8 lbs in 3 weeks and that's the most consistent weight drop I've had in the last 3 years of struggling to get back to goal. It's all about keeping focused and knowing that the plan works only if we stay on it.

I'm taking it one day and one ounce at a time.
  • Well, I weighed in on Monday and was down a half pound. Woohoo!
    My mom was on a retreat all weekend where food was prepared for her. She went to the MRC center and sat with a counselor to plan out what she would do. I caught up with her on Monday and learned that she'd lost...drumroll, please...2.5 pounds!!! Isn't that awesome?!?!?
    My aunt starts the green menu today, and she's stoked to get away from all the salads Haha! She's doing really well, too. I think she's lost 8 pounds so far and looks fantastic.

Keep plugging away, friends. You're doing great, feeling great, and looking fantastic. Just remember that!
  • How did it go, skelley?
    Congrats ashlaerae!
    Thanks for the welcome raven!

So yesterday I was bragging a little about my 10.2 pound loss. Planned to eat chicken last night, but as I was cooking taco meat for my kids it smelled so good that I made myself a ground beef patty and cooked that to eat instead. Had it with broccoli and about 3/4 cup of brown rice (I'm not sure if that's the "right" portion size or not...they didn't give me amounts, just foods I could eat). I was back up 3.5 pounds today! I didn't go off plan at all - everything I ate was in reasonable quantities and on the approved foods list. How does that happen?! I'm a little freaked out.
  • Hi Beachrunner: Here's an explanation for the weight gain that makes so much sense. I found it online looking up "weight gain after going off low carb diets" This is the quick summary...for every molecule of glycogen (stored carbs in the liver) there are 4 molecules of water attached. So, when you are on a low carb diet, you deplete your glycogen stores and also the attached water molecules...the reason you lose so much weight (water weight) when you first begin a low carb diet. Therefore, when you eat enough carbs (like that 3/4 cup of rice) for the body to replenish the glycogen stores, water is also retained.

This explains why the day following a "cheat" there is often 1-3lbs gained. I think this is also why the stabilization process is so important after reaching goal. It allows introduction of carbs back into the system slowly, over 6 weeks to help counter the water gain.

FYI: a serving of rice is usually 1/2 cup cooked. And while on MRC it is 1/4 cup cooked.
  • AshleyRae congrats on your loss and your mother and aunt are doing awesome!

Beachrunner: I totally agree with raven59 and this is true.
  • Okay so here is how my day went at the center:

I normally get to the center at 9:00 am before I've had breakfast but this morning was crazy and I couldn't get there until 11:00 so I had my breakfast and my HNS drink and felt bloated.
    Weighed in at 173.5 so I gained 4lbs UGH but on the upswing as my counselor told me was that I've lost 11 1/2 inches total, gained 2lbs of muscle which is a huge plus at my age and here's my drum roll I lost 1 1/2 lbs of FAT! So I'm not disappointed. I'm back on plan today and she told me that it only takes 72 hrs or 3 days to get back into fat burning mode, I heard from others 5 days so that's not true. And she said that depends on how much you went off plan. So all in all I only gained 2lbs she said since 2lbs was muscle! I did get the 5HTP and the MSM to try so I'm hoping to get my body in balance and it's worth it to be healthy and eat healthy. I'm 58 yrs old and I'm proud when I go into the drs office and they ask me what meds I'm on and I can say nothing but herb supplements.
  • Oh, Skelley, that's AWESOME! Way to go!!!
  • Thanks Raven! And congrats Skelley! :-)

I've struggled with precon - not really knowing how much to eat of the items on the list. But I guess that was just too much rice, and red meat will make you retain some water too, supposedly. I was back down the full 10 today, so no worries.

I got the yellow menu yesterday and I have to start it tomorrow. All I can say is how in the world did y'all survive that? I think I got a little emotional thinking about how hard that is going to be for 4 days! LOL :-)
  • Quote: Thanks Raven! And congrats Skelley! :-)

I've struggled with precon - not really knowing how much to eat of the items on the list. But I guess that was just too much rice, and red meat will make you retain some water too, supposedly. I was back down the full 10 today, so no worries.

I got the yellow menu yesterday and I have to start it tomorrow. All I can say is how in the world did y'all survive that? I think I got a little emotional thinking about how hard that is going to be for 4 days! LOL :-)
    beachrunner: I actually did better on the yellow and blue menus LOL, you'll do just fine.
  • Had maintenance weigh in today and maintained, 5 pounds under goal.

Patzi
  • Congrats Patzi, you are doing such a awesome job
  • Yay Patzi!!
  • Quote: Thanks Raven! And congrats Skelley! :-)

Beach runner:
    I am on the yellow menu for the second time. The both times it has been surprisingly easy!
    Just be sure to drink all of your protein drinks. Make sure to weigh and measure all your food and fill out your food sheet.
    You can do this!

Keep up the good work Patzi!

I got to sign the 20 lb board tonight! Whoohoo!
  • OMG I'm starving! I have 4 days of this?! I think I can, I think I can :-)

OK, but seriously though...how bad is diet coke on this diet, really? It's the ONLY thing that ever takes the edge off my appetite.