Old 09-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 251/179/155

Height: 5'8"

Default Chinese food?

I'm going to visit my daughter at college next week. I told her to pick a restaurant for dinner, so of course, she picked Chinese...the worst possible choice for MRC.

Any ideas of what I could possibly eat? Egg drop soup? I'll have to stay away from rice and anything fried, of course. Most of the vegetables are covered in sauces. I would tell her to choose something else, but when I made the offer, she was happy because none of her friends like Chinese food and it will be the first she's had since the semester began. Do I just get something with chicken and broccoli in it, scrape off the sauce, and hope for the best?
DeannG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm not on MRC, but f you're looking for a low-carb, lowish fat, high protein, lowish calorie choice, there are usually several good options at Chinese restaurants. In fact, I prefer Asian restaurants for "lean and green" options.

My favorite is Moo Shoo chicken, beef, tofu or shrimp. Even pork is usually lean (but you never know so chicken, beef, tofu or shrimp are safer bets). I just don't eat the pancakes or the hoisin sauce. The mooshoo filling is usually pretty lean and low carb, but many restaurants will accomodate special requests that can make it even leaner, by asking it be made with less oil or double cabbage.

Other decent choices

Tomato pepper beef. Sometimes this is a simmered dish of tomatoes, bell pepper, beef and onions. Some times a stir fry. Ask if cornstarch or other thickeners are added, and if so, ask if they can be omitted if you'd like (even with the thickener, the calorie, fat, and carb profile is better than most other choices on the menu).

Chicken or shrimp with pea pods is a usually good choice (ask about the sauce ingredients)

Moo Goo Gai Pan is pretty good, except there is a little bit of cornstarch in the sauce (probably no more than 40 to 50 calories or half a starch serving)

Meal soups (just leave most of the noodles behind or ask if you can have the noodles replaced with beansprouts)

Roast duck or chicken (just avoid eating all of the skin if fat is limited)

Fish or seafood, either steamed with fragrant vegetables (onion, lemongrass, cilantro...) or served in a tomato-based sauce

Kung Pow or cashew chicken/beef/shrimp (just don't eat all the nuts)

Pork with mustard greens (Awesome, but it can be lean or fatty depending on the cut of pork used).

Also, some chinese restaurants have a special "dieting" or light section of the menu.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-27-2013 at 03:20 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/240/150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannG View Post
I'm going to visit my daughter at college next week. I told her to pick a restaurant for dinner, so of course, she picked Chinese...the worst possible choice for MRC.

Any ideas of what I could possibly eat? Egg drop soup? I'll have to stay away from rice and anything fried, of course. Most of the vegetables are covered in sauces. I would tell her to choose something else, but when I made the offer, she was happy because none of her friends like Chinese food and it will be the first she's had since the semester began. Do I just get something with chicken and broccoli in it, scrape off the sauce, and hope for the best?
I got a paper from my center on what to eat at resturants ask if they have one. They recommend chicken with chinese vegetables, stir fry and you can get a serving of steamed rice.
rn5192008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #4  

Thanks! I'll stay away from the buffet and order an entrée. I told her to drop by there and pick up a menu so I can look it over in advance, maybe it won't be as difficult as I thought. Generally, when going out to eat, I order a salad with grilled chicken (dressing on the side) or grilled chicken/fish and steamed veggies, but you guys have given me an idea of where to start .
Old 09-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Check out the buffet before deciding against it. Often Chinese restaurant buffets have some really great choices satay chicken and other grilled meats, peel-and-eat shrimp, hot and sour soup, vegetarian stir-fries, fresh fruit....

I find it helpful to look over the buffet before putting anything on my plate. Then I pretend to be like my thin, finicky sister and don't let any food touch another (leaving an inch or more between foods). I promise myself that I can try a bite or two of something that looks good, if I'm still wanting it after my first plate of food. I choose only the best options for my first plate. Usually I'm satisfied and don't go for the second plate, and if I do, I use a small dessert plate or saucer or soup cup to remind myself not to take more than a few bites.

I never would have thought I could control myself at a buffet, but now I find them my best choice. The last time hubby and I went, I had a small cup of hot and sour soup, about a cup of peel-and-eat shrimp, about a cup of steamed bok choy, and watermelon.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #6  

Quote:
Then I pretend to be like my thin, finicky sister and don't let any food touch another (leaving an inch or more between foods).
I think I will start doing this! LOL