Old 01-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/245.5/160

Height: 5'7"

Wink Protein Drinks & Shakes

Good Morning!
Have you found a protein drink, shake or meal replacement bar that are similar to MRC's products that are available at Wal-Mart, GNC or other "common" stores?

If so, please share!

*I'm going to increase my HNS intake to 5 supplements per day. Cost will become a major factor in my ability to sustain this over the next 6-9 months so I appreciate any & all suggestions.*

Thanks!
LeoTheLioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #2  

I have found that I do better using the MRC stuff, but I have found some stuff with similar calorie and macronutrient (carb, fat, protein) breakdown...that I can use in a pinch. I was using them more frequently to try to save money, but it did slow me down (it may have been coincidence but maybe not)

For the drinks: 3/4 scoop of body foretress whey protein or there's another kind, can't remember the name (its a few bucks more but I like it a little better). Found at walmart.

For the protein bar, a pure protein bar also from walmart is pretty close.
nwcgina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #3  

I have found that I do better using the MRC stuff, but I have found some stuff with similar calorie and macronutrient (carb, fat, protein) breakdown...that I can use in a pinch. I was using them more frequently to try to save money, but it did slow me down (it may have been coincidence but maybe not)

For the drinks: 3/4 scoop of body foretress whey protein or there's another kind, can't remember the name (its a few bucks more but I like it a little better). Found at walmart.

For the protein bar, a pure protein bar also from walmart is pretty close.
nwcgina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 1.75" (that 3/4 inch is important!)

I get my shakes from GNC. The "juice" one is GNC amplified wheybolic extreme 60 in fruit punch (only 1 scoop/instead of their 3) and the meal replacement is their Lean Shake in chocolate, they multiple flavors in both though. And for my "creamie" I drink Pure Protein ready made shakes. Again, there are several flavors. I get those at my grocery store in the "diet/health" aisle. All these pretty much equal the same as the MRC shakes. I've been losing 3 pounds per week so it's def. not slowing me down using non-MRC stuff. Hope this helps!
SailorsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #5  

SailorsGirl - thanks for the info!

I did a comparison between the Atkins Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar & MRC's Chocolate Wafer Bar. This is the nutrional information as listed:
The Atkins info is 1st, MRC is 2nd.

Calories: 180/200
Calories from Fat: 110/110
Total Fat: 12g/12g
Saturated Fat: 5g/5g
Cholesterol: <5g/0
Sodium: 200mg/135mg
Potassium: 130mg/0
Total Carbs: 20g/11g
Fiber: 8g/1g
Sugars: 2g/4g
Protein: 8g/13g

As you can see, the most significant differences are the amounts of sodium, potassium, carbs, fiber, sugar and of course price.

I plan on purchasing MRC's vanilla & chocolate creamy supplements to do a comparison of those to Atkins shakes very soon.

I'll also report back on another protein drink that I've found at GNC - Optimum Nutrition's "100% Any Whey Protein" compared to MRC's HNS's. thus far, I've learned it can be used as a drink or shake (depending on ingredients) and can be added to food to increase the amount of protein. The 1.35 tub costs about $20-$25, has 30 servings, is fat-free, has 17g. protein & 1g. carbs, 70 cal. per serving.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #6  

I purchased the Vanilla Creme supplement today and here is a breakdown of the nutritional information compared to Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey Protein (which can be used in recipes as well as drink/shake). Optimum's info is 1st, MRC is 2nd.

Calories: 70/90
Total Fat: 0/1g
Cholesterol: 0/10mg
Sodium: 30mg/160mg
Potassium: not listed/210mg
Total Carbs: 1g/7g
Protein: 17g/15g

Of the information listed, Optimum is VERY comparable, if not better than, MRC's Vanilla Cream HNS.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 192.5/163.4/160

Height: 5'8"

Default How about MRC's Very High Protiien meal replacement?

The one you use on MediQuick days? I like to have those for emergencies and would love to have one I could buy elsewhere, especially after I am done with MRC. They have about 35 g protein and 20-some g carbs. 225 cal. (I don't have the box in front of me so this might not be exactly right)
Sorry about the typo- you can't seem to edit the heading!

Last edited by camaswa; 02-04-2012 at 11:55 AM.
camaswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #8  
Motivated Member

S/C/G: 210/204/180

Protidiet bars and shakes seem to be the closest to MRC's...i like the Syntrax Choc. Truffle because it's higher in protein 23 G and i can buy in a large container. i also buy the Protidiet Pink Lemonade and Syntrax Roadside Lemonade in the large containers... For Protein bars, i've switched to Nature Valley Protein bars, Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate which has 190 cal, 10 g. protein, 14 g. carb., Fiber 5 g, Total fat 12 G (try to only use in emergencies when i miss a meal) and also Chocolite Protein bars, 115 cal., Fat 6 g, total carb 18 g, Protein 9g, Fiber 10g $1.29 each.
i order everything from Diet Direct and buy the Nature Valley bars at the grocery stores (actually found them at Big Lots too for 1/2 the cost) they run about $4 a box of 6.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #9  

Hi BD! Thanks for your suggestions. The only thing about the Proti-Diet products that I don't like is you have to order them on-line & there's not much savings compared to the cost of MRC's HNSs. I'd much rather use a similar product that I can go to a local store and pick-up.

I'll noted the Syntrax products that can be purchased at the Vitamin Shop - Chocolate Truffle; Roadside Lemonade & Strawberry Mousse all sound YUM!
Old 02-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #10  
Motivated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoTheLioness View Post
Hi BD! Thanks for your suggestions. The only thing about the Proti-Diet products that I don't like is you have to order them on-line & there's not much savings compared to the cost of MRC's HNSs. I'd much rather use a similar product that I can go to a local store and pick-up.

I'll noted the Syntrax products that can be purchased at the Vitamin Shop - Chocolate Truffle; Roadside Lemonade & Strawberry Mousse all sound YUM!
you are right, if i was closer to a center, i'd probably buy my protein bars and creamies from them since they have them 5 boxes for $55...the closest center is 45 min away and they don't have much selection so when i order my big containers of protidiet pink lemonade and the Syntrax nectars from Diet Direct or Nashua Nutrition websites, i just add them in becuz i'll get free shipping w $49 order. and sometimes they'll have $10 off entire order.. we don't have a Vitamin Shoppe store and the online prices are higher than DD or NN online...
Old 02-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #11  

Well, I'm going to start with the new supplement tomorrow a.m.
I went to Wal-Mart & purchased a Hamilton Beach Single Serve Blender ($15.88) to carry back & forth to work with my powder & fruit so I'm hoping this all works out.

Bigdog - do you mix your drinks w/water or use anything to thicken them up a bit? I'm debating cottage cheese or greek yogurt
Old 02-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #12  
Motivated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoTheLioness View Post
Well, I'm going to start with the new supplement tomorrow a.m.
I went to Wal-Mart & purchased a Hamilton Beach Single Serve Blender ($15.88) to carry back & forth to work with my powder & fruit so I'm hoping this all works out.

Bigdog - do you mix your drinks w/water or use anything to thicken them up a bit? I'm debating cottage cheese or greek yogurt
i love my GE Single Blender! couldn't live without it. the Hamilton had good reviews too - i know you will love it! i just blend the choc. truffle powder w/ water and ice. sometimes for lunch will add frozen raspberries or strawberries so it's like chocolate raspberry icecream! i've added the greek yogurt to the Roadside lemonade powder and cold water - it's like lemon icecream. Greek yogurt with the Strawberry yogurt protein powder is really good - Diet orange soda w/ greek yogurt and vanilla protein powder is good too. i mix all kinds of things together so im never bored and feel like i'm eating dessert all the time!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
i love my GE Single Blender! couldn't live without it. the Hamilton had good reviews too - i know you will love it! i just blend the choc. truffle powder w/ water and ice. sometimes for lunch will add frozen raspberries or strawberries so it's like chocolate raspberry icecream! i've added the greek yogurt to the Roadside lemonade powder and cold water - it's like lemon icecream. Greek yogurt with the Strawberry yogurt protein powder is really good - Diet orange soda w/ greek yogurt and vanilla protein powder is good too. i mix all kinds of things together so im never bored and feel like i'm eating dessert all the time!
Last night I couldn't resist - I made one with the MRC Vanilla Creme. I added strawberries, pineapple, strawberry/banana greek yogurt, a packet of TruVia & ice. It was pretty decent - tasted like a strawberry shake!

I think these will serve as a great substitute to help with my wanting dessert after dinner & also really good post-workout (that is, once I start exercising). YAY!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #14  

I am LOVING this new protein drink!

I've been drinking them since Friday night.

I'm mixing the protein powder, water & Cherry Pomegranate Crystal Light for the clear HNS & for the creamy HNS, I add fruit, greek yogurt & a packet of Truvia.

Surprisingly, you cannot taste the protein AT ALL. It mixes smooth - not "grainy" whatsoever! Can't wait it try it with other Crystal Light drink mixes.

I highly recommend Optimum's 100% Any Whey Protein Powder.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #15  

I completely agree with you leothelioness the Optimum's 100% Any Whey Protein Powder is awesome. I take it as HSN substitute as well as I mixed it with my food! waaay cheaper and basically exact same thing. THANK YOU sailorsgirl since I had found one of your previous postings and went and got it at local vitamin store. Charged a bit more then online, but at end, totally worth it! So question, on much of the MRC's recipes on the recipe book call for vanilla creamie, chocolate..etc. Can anyone shot me some ideas on how to substitute those?!
zugeily1981 is offline   Reply With Quote