Old 12-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #1  

Default HNS and amount of water

Hi everyone, it's my first time posting in this forum. I am on day 13 and I am doing the Meta-Slim Plus.

I am doing well and as of this morning I was down 10.5 lbs, 8.75 inches and 2 points off my BMI. Previously I was doing Weight Watchers and while it has it's good points, it was too much food for me and I would eat all the food I was allowed and not lose or lose very slowly.

Before joining MRC I had lost 70 lbs but it had taken 4 years. I joined MRC hoping to speed things up. This is after taking doctor prescribed appetite suppressants which didn't really work on me.

While the ladies at my center are all very nice, I just don't feel that I get good answers to my questions. I asked one lady about mixing protein options - like having cheese and chicken together (adjusting amounts accordingly) and she was horrified and said to NEVER do it. I pointed out that their cookbook did it and she was caught off-guard. I was told then I could do it only if I was using one of the recipes but I couldn't do it on my own. But a lot of those recipes are user submitted so I don't see the big deal.

Today I mentioned to one lady that the HNS's are all way too sweet for me and that I mixed them in 20-24 oz of water. She said that I was not getting the benefit of the protein by mixing them with that much water. Has anyone else been told this? I asked what the difference was if I mixed it with 8 oz, drank it and then immediately guzzled 16 oz of plain water? I am not understanding how I am missing out by mixing it with extra water.
geekgirl72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 239.5/see ticker/165

Height: 5'4"

Sorry I can't help you with either one of those questions. I wanted to say hello and welcome.

I have gone away from the powder drinks with the exception of the cocoa, cappuccino and of course the puddings. I use the concentrate and I drink them straight so I don't have to put the extra liquid in my stomach since you aren't suppose to count that water in you consumption (so I was told).

Good luck!! I hope someone here can answer your questions.
Fluffy in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 5"

Ok...Chemist Jen here (yes, I actually have a degree in Chemistry)...from a chemistry standpoint, diluting the drink is doing nothing more than reducing the concentration of protein/oz. of water. Provided you drink all of your drink, you are still getting in the same amount of protein. More water does NOT make the protein go away.

Now if their answer is due to a physiological thing, in other words, how your body absorbs the protein, that I am not aware of. The center should give a better answer as to the reason why the dilution factor is important.

As for me, I have always diluted my drinks to 12-16 oz and have never had an issue with losing the weight.
JenB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #4  

My consultant had no problem with combining proteins as long as is in the right amounts...like you said, that is what the recipes do. Helps me from getting bored with the menu.

As far as the question on the HNS's...the amount of water you put them with shouldn't matter...the amount of protein is there regardless of how much water you put with it.

Interested to hear other people's takes.
nwcgina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 345/ticker/150

Height: 5'10

That seems silly to me that she doesn't think you get the same benefit from 16 oz of water with an HNS as you would with 8? Maybe you're supposed to drink it all at the same time? Idk. to be honest, when I was on MRC I didn't even use the HNS' and I lost 150 pounds just fine. With just their Phentatrim and their MRC-6.. so idk. I never saw all the hype behind it, but I may have not been getting the nutrition I needed I guess.
sweetsmmr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/217/165

Height: 5' 3"

Hi Ladies,

I'm new to MRC as well start date 12/2/11. I've lost 3.74 pounds as of 12/6/11. I'm learning a lot about water consumption, never liked it, but for some reason can't keep it away. I was a heavy Pepsi drinker and completely stopped drinking them around Thanksgiving. I think that was the hardest thing that I have done in a long time. Well anyway I'm looking forward to losing and meeting new people in the process.

Michelle

Last edited by chelljo71; 12-08-2011 at 04:50 PM.
chelljo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #7  
Maintenance Member

S/C/G: 211/191/175

Height: 5'5

Hello, and welcome!!

Wow, there are so many different directions we are all given sometimes from MRC counselors who should be sending the same general message to all of us!!! Can get very frustrating and confusing....especially to new clients

As far as HNS...mix them with water, soda, crystal light, or each other for that matter (other flavors) and you are just fine. Small glass or large, ice or no ice....lol Common sense is that you are getting the amount you put in so long as you drink it all

As far as mixing at meals...ie:cheese/chicken etc...absolutely YES. You can and should do this! Tastes better and offers variety This diet can get boring enough without putting those ridiculous types of restrictions on our menus. The important thing to remember is that with cheese, you are only suppose to eat it once a day...so if you mix it with your eggs for breakfast, don't add it to your salad at lunch. If you are allowed 4 oz of protein at a meal, and you choose to do 1 egg with 2 oz of cheese...that is fine. Remember, with cheese, 1 oz equals 2 oz of protein**(unlike meat) This is important. My daily salads would be way boring with just meat or eggs in them...I always have two types of protein mixed in them for variety...and yes, the cookbook demonstrates many recipes where items are mixed, so go for it. (maybe this counselor doesn't...that is her choice) You can still lose weight mixing it up.

Make this program work for you...too strict may not last. You can make certain adjustments so that long term you are content. Being 100% strictly OP all of the time may lead to quicker weightloss, but for me, it led to quickly feeling burnt out. It is possible to do MRC with a few tweeks here and there to better meet your needs, and still succeed
Tamikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #8  
Motivated Member

S/C/G: 210/204/180

Height: 5'8"

thank goodness for these boards! i could ask the 4 consultants at my center the same question and get all different answers! in the very beginning, one guy told me to buy grapefruits. then they told me i could only have oranges for the first diet plan...???? one girl told me i had to buy all the pills to succeed (so not true)... then another told me the vitamins i took are not good enough, had to buy from them...blah blah blah...

Geekgirl, maybe they were telling you not to add so much water because they thought you would buy less of the HNSs from them and how in the world would they make their sales quota if you bought less from them?

alot of people that post on this site have great consultants and are very fortunate (and are very nice to share their knowledge w/ us) plus they have lost weight and have been very successful w/ this program. the ladies on maintenance continue to help us out and help us focus on being right there with them :-) one day
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsmmr91 View Post
That seems silly to me that she doesn't think you get the same benefit from 16 oz of water with an HNS as you would with 8? Maybe you're supposed to drink it all at the same time? Idk. to be honest, when I was on MRC I didn't even use the HNS' and I lost 150 pounds just fine. With just their Phentatrim and their MRC-6.. so idk. I never saw all the hype behind it, but I may have not been getting the nutrition I needed I guess.
It probably is that the more water added the more the HNS gets diluted and not as benificial as it should.
birdfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsmmr91 View Post
Some of the pills they have you take helps to get the fat out of hiding places,etc,and with the oil,it makes sure you have enough in your system as helps thing run smoother. I don't take all the pills just afew necessary ones.
birdfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 217/217/165

Height: 5' 3"

So far so good, I really enjoy the drinks. My menu selection is very limited as I don't do many veggies. Lettuce, cucumber and chicken has been my meals for the past week and now i'm getting bored. Someone please help.

Michelle
chelljo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #12  

Geekgirl72.

Your center is not correct... I have been drinking diluted HNS all thru my weight challenge and still do it now in Maintenance...
When losing weight, I would make decafinated iced tea and add an HNS in with it and drank it as water . You are allowed to drink decafinated tea as water, as per my center. I have also added an HNS to my plain water and drank that thru the day, and still lost. I agree with Jen.

Patzi
patzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #13  

Thanks everyone. I will keep diluting my HNS. I still drink all my plain water and I just don't beleive that diluting the protein will having any effect. Or they would warn you to not drink water with your meals.

I mean if it worked that way, then you could just drink a gallon of water with a Snickers bar and it would dilute the fat

Also, again their recipe book contradicts what they have told me as there is a soup recipe with a chicken bouillon HNS and 12 oz of water in the book.

While I think it is a great plan and it is working well for me, and the women at the center are all very nice and enthusiastic, I just don't think they really know or understand the science behind it.
geekgirl72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #14  

Hi Geekgirl,
I am very sensitive to artificial sweeteners and have to dilute the HNS drinks a lot. I use 24 ounces of water. My consultants told me that was fine as long as I drank it all. I think using ice in the shaker bottle helps a whole lot too. I'm kind of sorry I got their recipe book, because I want to cook with real food and not their artificially flavored powders. I say use common sense and combine away within your guidelines.

I'm on kind of a different plan than most because of special needs, but it's been very successful - 15 pounds down since Nov. 7. Not too bad for an old lady!

Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #15  
Motivated Member

S/C/G: 210/204/180

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
Hi Geekgirl,
I am very sensitive to artificial sweeteners and have to dilute the HNS drinks a lot. I use 24 ounces of water. My consultants told me that was fine as long as I drank it all. I think using ice in the shaker bottle helps a whole lot too. I'm kind of sorry I got their recipe book, because I want to cook with real food and not their artificially flavored powders. I say use common sense and combine away within your guidelines.

I'm on kind of a different plan than most because of special needs, but it's been very successful - 15 pounds down since Nov. 7. Not too bad for an old lady!

Chickadee
check out the Syntrax Natural protein powder (order from Diet Direct) no artificial sweetners and it's 100 cal. per serving. to count as a HNS, use 3/4 of the scoop so it's 70 cal. lots of flavors available! :-)
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote