Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #91  

Hi, everyone! It's been awhile since I've posted on 3FC and I've never visited this forum, but I decided to try MRC. Today is day 1 of pre-conditioning. It's almost 1pm and all I've done today is obsess over food. I've nearly had my 64 oz of water for the day already because I'm afraid if I don't have something to do with my mouth, I'll eat.

I was told that I could have one caffeinated beverage per day, whether it be coffee or a diet soda, etc., but from what I'm reading here that doesn't seem to be true. Any input?

I'm so scared about picking this time of the year to get started. It feels like I am just setting myself up for failure with the holidays around the corner. I thought about waiting, but then I realized that by the beginning of the new year, I could be nearly halfway to my goal if I'd just start now. Sounds pretty good to me!

I go to Food Instruction this Friday and will get my menu plan. I have a lingerie shower to attend Friday night and it's after dinner hours so I will be sure to eat beforehand and just nibble on veggies, but it's the alcohol that will be tempting to me! My counselor suggested that I have a drink with vodka in it if I really wanted to have one and to keep pre-conditioning through the weekend and start my menu on Monday. We'll see.

So, a little about myself here...I am married, I have 4 kids ranging in age from preschool to high school, and I work very part-time (about 6 hours a week.) After I had my fourth baby (which was 5 years ago), I started Weight Watchers and went from 160 to 138. I stopped following WW but kept the weight off for 2 years using portion control and running. 2009 was a very bad year for me personally...just lots of stress, family problems, losing my best friend to cancer, losing my 17 year old dog to cancer, etc. I gained all the weight I had lost back plus more over the next 2 years. I have tried WW and calorie counting over and over again only to derail quickly. It's really discouraging to me to work so hard and only lose 0.5 pound a week, or none. I decided to try MRC for faster results. I'm going to be on the 17 week plan and my goal is to lose 40 pounds, but I'd like to try for closer to 50 pounds.

Oh, and just so you know, my username is not indicative of my self-esteem, lol. It's a reference to where I live...Rzrbackcandi will understand!

Last edited by 1bighog; 11-09-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 192.5/163.4/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamikl View Post
Hi ladies!

My WI is tomorrow, and I am not nervous or anxious at all--for a change Ever since my counselor and I decided to push through November, then introduce Stabilization, I have been much less stressed. I believe I have lost weight this past week. But, I actually feel like I have been experiencing a little mind game with myself, also. It has actually been easier to stay OP being in a mind-set of that if I lose, I lose...if I don't, then I will just get back on the wagon and keep plucking along....I may even push through December, and begin Stabilization after the New Year. A week ago, you would not have heard me say that!!!!!

Quite simply, being happy at the weight you are at makes the journey so much more peaceful...and if there is a loss, it is just that much more of a feeling of success. I don't know if I am making sense...but I just plain feel more optimistic which equates to feeling more motivated

WORDS OF WISDOM: For those of you that are just starting this program, try not to be so hard on yourself. Try not to be in a hurry by putting a big number in your mind of what you expect yourself to lose each week, and instead just focus "one day at a time" eating OP, and the weight will come off on its own. Often it is not meeting our personal expectations of ourselves that leave us feeling frustrated and unmotivated. Adjust those so that if you expect a 1lb loss each week, and lose that or more, then you will be so happy and motivated to tackle the next 7 days! Because we are all different, it is wise not to ever compare progress to others...your results are yours....unique to you. Comparing serves no purpose but to discourage. Being realistic and forgiving of yourself doesn't mean you are losing sight of the ultimate prize, just means you will maintain the desire to keep pressing on, rather than to feel defeated which could lead to wanting to give up. This attitude has made a difference for me, and believe me...talking from experience, being hard on yourself isn't the answer to success on this or any weightloss program.

Just like "Bigdog....." If taking a scale with you is what works for you, then by all means...take it! I agree that not checking in on myself could lead to disaster. It is my way of holding myself accountable, and keeps unwanted weight from creeping back up unexpectedly....which none of us would want. My point is do what works for you...The menus are easy..."black & white," but we aren't!!!! This journey will also be a time of self reflection, which may just mean lasting weightloss

Hang in there, ladies! I, too, am so grateful for this board and the daily support on it.
Well said, Tami! I should print this out and tape by my scales!

You know, the centers promise 3-5 pounds per week, which is not attainable for most of us, and probably isn't even safe. I think it sets us up to feel like we are failing when we are not. This makes some of us more vulnerable to their sales pitches for unproven supplements. I have had a consultant act like a 2-pound loss was barely good enough. We need to stop being so hard on ourselves !!

Thanks, Tami!
Old 11-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #93  
Maintenance Member

S/C/G: 211/191/175

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaswa View Post

You know, the centers promise 3-5 pounds per week, which is not attainable for most of us, and probably isn't even safe. I think it sets us up to feel like we are failing when we are not. This makes some of us more vulnerable to their sales pitches for unproven supplements. I have had a consultant act like a 2-pound loss was barely good enough. We need to stop being so hard on ourselves !!

Thanks, Tami!
You are welcome I totally agree with you...as I have been told 3-5lbs was attainable. Not consistently, that is for sure!!!!

I had a 2 lb loss today, and am very happy with that Heck, I am happy when I don't gain!!! All in perspective!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #94  

Welcome, 1bighog. I'm with you in that I had tried (and tried and tried) calorie counting, but was never successful, fell off track easily. I joined MRC to try to have someone keep me accountable. And it has helped Okay, so I've just been on it (including preconditioning) 9 days. But I will tell you that the first day of preconditioning (and 2nd) was hard, then it go easier. Now I started the yellow plan and the first day sucked, but 2nd was easy, 3rd not so bad, then just one more day for me I figure if I"m paying this much money there is no way in heck I'm eating anything off plan. Like you I work very part-time so money is tight, but we decided it was worth the investment if I stick to it...and I will!! I even had to make the dessert for a women's meeting last night and didn't take a lick while making it nor did I eat any...and it was one of my faves. When I get to maintenance, that's when I can learn how to eat those treats on occasion.

As for the discussion on what a weight loss per week should be...soooo helpful. I did lose 5 lbs my first 9 day...in the past 4 days I "only" lost 1 lb and my consultant/counselor/whatever you call her sounded like that was "just okay". Heck...to be honest...I've never been able to lose 5 lbs in a MONTH. If I lose 1 lb a week from here on out I will reach my goal by mid-May (my 9 year wedding anniversary). The counselor originally told me early to mid Feb and I think that's still her goal...and if that happened, awesome. And I'm sure some weeks I'll see big losses, some none, and I have to be okay with that and not base my self worth on that.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #95  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcgina View Post
Welcome, 1bighog. I'm with you in that I had tried (and tried and tried) calorie counting, but was never successful, fell off track easily. I joined MRC to try to have someone keep me accountable. And it has helped Okay, so I've just been on it (including preconditioning) 9 days. But I will tell you that the first day of preconditioning (and 2nd) was hard, then it go easier. Now I started the yellow plan and the first day sucked, but 2nd was easy, 3rd not so bad, then just one more day for me I figure if I"m paying this much money there is no way in heck I'm eating anything off plan. Like you I work very part-time so money is tight, but we decided it was worth the investment if I stick to it...and I will!! I even had to make the dessert for a women's meeting last night and didn't take a lick while making it nor did I eat any...and it was one of my faves. When I get to maintenance, that's when I can learn how to eat those treats on occasion.
Thank you, thank you.

I've gotta say--today (1st day of pre-conditioning) was hard! My day is not quite over and I'm about to crack. I foresee an early bedtime so I can just not feel hungry. And I'm not even sure that hunger is what I'm feeling. I don't feel great, that's for sure.

I ate breakfast--45 calorie wheat bread with melted cheese on top and a boiled egg--around 8:00 this morning. I had to go to the grocery store, so after my morning chores, I quickly ate some bagged salad so that I wouldn't be terribly hungry at the store. That was about 10:20. I stuck with my list and the store trip was a success. I fed my son and didn't feel an urge to sneak a bite here and there of his food. At 2:20 I felt hungry, so I made a bigger salad and this time added a boiled egg, some turkey, cucumber slices, cheese, and a huge peach on the side. Oh, by this time I'd already had my 64 oz of water. (I had coffee with my breakfast, too.)

That is the time of day that is the hardest for me. I'm pretty tired from either the work I've around the house, at my job, or running errands, and I've got to prepare myself for kids coming home from school. This is the time of day where I'll grab my 2nd soda of the day and eat some sugary food as well. Didn't do that today. I did lay down for a 20 minute power nap at 4:30...I couldn't take it anymore.

I got up and began to prepare dinner for my family (spaghetti.) It wasn't as torturous as I envisioned, but in the middle of dinner prep, I felt a little dizzy. I drank some more water and grabbed the first thing I saw that would be safe for today--canned tuna. I ate it straight out the can after I drained it. I'm not dizzy anymore, but I don't feel good. I've got some asparagus roasting in the oven right now and that should complete my dinner. Oh, I guess I get to have one more starch/bread and 1 more fruit today.

I'm looking forward to an early bedtime, not because I'm tired, but so I can stop feeling like this. I'm glad to hear each day is better than the last.

Last edited by 1bighog; 11-09-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #96  
Motivated Member

S/C/G: 210/204/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaswa View Post

Thanks, Tami!
Well said and you are exactly right! my doctor told me if i took all the supplements they are pushing, then i would lose the weight faster but once i stopped taking them, i would regain. i'm happy to lose even a pound a week and if it's a half pound that's fine w/ me as long as i'm not gaining! :-) the only time the Center gets excited is when i lose 3 lbs so sometimes when i'm happy about 1.5 or 2 lbs, they'll lecture me and say, what can we do to get you to lose more? blah blah blah, it really demotivates me but i just shake it off and get on these boards and let you guys motivate me! :-)
i guess the counselors really do make money off the supplements so that's their sales pitch...the food combinations are good and i am glad the extra protein is working to help me lose so all good!
Old 11-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #97  
Motivated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bighog View Post
Thank you, thank you.

I've gotta say--today (1st day of pre-conditioning) was hard! My day is not quite over and I'm about to crack. I foresee an early bedtime so I can just not feel hungry. And I'm not even sure that hunger is what I'm feeling. I don't feel great, that's for sure.

I ate breakfast--45 calorie wheat bread with melted cheese on top and a boiled egg--around 8:00 this morning. I had to go to the grocery store, so after my morning chores, I quickly ate some bagged salad so that I wouldn't be terribly hungry at the store. That was about 10:20. I stuck with my list and the store trip was a success. I fed my son and didn't feel an urge to sneak a bite here and there of his food. At 2:20 I felt hungry, so I made a bigger salad and this time added a boiled egg, some turkey, cucumber slices, cheese, and a huge peach on the side. Oh, by this time I'd already had my 64 oz of water. (I had coffee with my breakfast, too.)

That is the time of day that is the hardest for me. I'm pretty tired from either the work I've around the house, at my job, or running errands, and I've got to prepare myself for kids coming home from school. This is the time of day where I'll grab my 2nd soda of the day and eat some sugary food as well. Didn't do that today. I did lay down for a 20 minute power nap at 4:30...I couldn't take it anymore.

I got up and began to prepare dinner for my family (spaghetti.) It wasn't as torturous as I envisioned, but in the middle of dinner prep, I felt a little dizzy. I drank some more water and grabbed the first thing I saw that would be safe for today--canned tuna. I ate it straight out the can after I drained it. I'm not dizzy anymore, but I don't feel good. I've got some asparagus roasting in the oven right now and that should complete my dinner. Oh, I guess I get to have one more starch/bread and 1 more fruit today.

I'm looking forward to an early bedtime, not because I'm tired, but so I can stop feeling like this. I'm glad to hear each day is better than the last.
are you drinking the HNS's? (protein drinks) those really helped me alot and i never feel hungry. you can have 3 to 4 a day and they really help you lose and keep your energy level up. (i order the Pink Lemonade Protidiet large container or the Syntax Orange protein powder from Diet Direct)
you can order from the Center too...the individual packs are 7 to a box...
Old 11-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #98  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
are you drinking the HNS's? (protein drinks) those really helped me alot and i never feel hungry. you can have 3 to 4 a day and they really help you lose and keep your energy level up. (i order the Pink Lemonade Protidiet large container or the Syntax Orange protein powder from Diet Direct)
you can order from the Center too...the individual packs are 7 to a box...
Not yet. I was told I would get that stuff after my Food Instructional meeting on Friday, along with my menu plan.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #99  

When I was on preconditioning the things that helped were a couple of eggs at breakfast and I did "cheat" and have a cheesestick between my noon and evening meals. I still lost 4 lbs on preconditioning. If you are still hungry, keep getting protein & the veggies. I also liked hot tea in the evening...kept the munchies away.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #100  

Quote:
When I was on preconditioning the things that helped were a couple of eggs at breakfast and I did "cheat" and have a cheesestick between my noon and evening meals. I still lost 4 lbs on preconditioning. If you are still hungry, keep getting protein & the veggies. I also liked hot tea in the evening...kept the munchies away.
My counselor said I could eat extra, just stick with the pre-conditioning list. But to be honest, my usual diet mostly consists of a lot of starch, carbs, and sugar...all the stuff missing off that darn list! When the afternoon rolled around I was thinking about a hunk of cheese or another boiled egg, but I just didn't want it. I know I don't eat enough protein and I was already tired of the stuff I ate today.

It will be worth it.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #101  

Sorry for all the posting! Just need to tell someone that can sympathize.

So I was pretty surprised yesterday that I didn't get a headache from caffeine withdrawal. I only had 1 coffee today and normally I would have that plus 2 sodas. Well, at bedtime I did feel a headache coming on. I didn't take anything because I thought sleep would help, but I woke up today with the headache! Just popped some meds and hoping today will be easier because I'm busier and won't have time to obsess over food!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #102  
Motivated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bighog View Post
Sorry for all the posting! Just need to tell someone that can sympathize.

So I was pretty surprised yesterday that I didn't get a headache from caffeine withdrawal. I only had 1 coffee today and normally I would have that plus 2 sodas. Well, at bedtime I did feel a headache coming on. I didn't take anything because I thought sleep would help, but I woke up today with the headache! Just popped some meds and hoping today will be easier because I'm busier and won't have time to obsess over food!
post as much as you want! that's what these boards are for... i write a book everytime i post and haven't been kicked off the boards yet..LOL! i got so much wornderful advice from everyone here and food suggestions so i wouldnt be bored.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #103  

Vent away. I was drinking about 2 cups of coffee per day before starting, I quit that cold turkey. About 6 days in I did have a small cup because I was really going into withdrawl, but other than that it was good. I did drink Diet Rite (1 can/day) during the deconditioning. I also found Gingerbread Spice decaf tea...with a packet of truvia is a good little treat. I do miss the coffee, not so much physically anymore, but on a cold morning like today it just sounds good.

I haven't really craved high carb foods since starting, but today my "friend" came and now I really am ready to eat all of the kids' halloween candy, bread, anything I can find. I haven't and I won't, but I want to. I may have a HNS chocolate pudding at lunch today if I still have this strong desire (not supposed to start it til tomorrow, but I figure it's better than a snickers).
Old 11-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #104  

Height: 5' 5"

Had to pop in for a moment to say

You know that wheel I mentioned that I wanted to get off. It sucked me back in.

I got to work Monday morning and at 8:50 am I get a call from my manager. I didn't think a thing of it and said, "What can I help you with?" His reply, "Fly to Michigan."

Excuse me?! After I picked my jaw up off the floor and spent the next couple of hours making travel arrangements, I quickly went home, packed a bag, organized everything for my husband where our munchkin is concerned (laid out clothes, made lunches, etc). Next thing you know, I was on a 3:00 flight to Grand Rapids and didn't get back until last night.

All in all, I did pretty good while I was up there. I did get all my water and most of my HNS in. Took almost all my supplements. While I wasn't able to eat all meals on plan (catered lunches), I did take my F&C Blockers. And...no snacking when I left our supplier's plant. Woohoo for me!

I'll catch up on all the posts soon, but just wanted to say that I'm back and it feels good.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #105  
Maintenance Member

S/C/G: 211/191/175

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Vent away. I was drinking about 2 cups of coffee per day before starting, I quit that cold turkey. About 6 days in I did have a small cup because I was really going into withdrawl, but other than that it was good. I did drink Diet Rite (1 can/day) during the deconditioning. I also found Gingerbread Spice decaf tea...with a packet of truvia is a good little treat. I do miss the coffee, not so much physically anymore, but on a cold morning like today it just sounds good.

I haven't really craved high carb foods since starting, but today my "friend" came and now I really am ready to eat all of the kids' halloween candy, bread, anything I can find. I haven't and I won't, but I want to. I may have a HNS chocolate pudding at lunch today if I still have this strong desire (not supposed to start it til tomorrow, but I figure it's better than a snickers).
It is so funny you say that...because yes, the pudding is better than the Snickers...for our overall health, anyway...lol

I had asked MRC if I could eat pumpkin seeds over Halloween...and of course, the answer was NO. My justification for going ahead was the same as yours, since Snicker bars are my weakness! I just so relate Hang in there. My little girl insists on making brownies every Friday night...and that has been tough for me But, I have figured out how to make some yummy "HNS Creamy treats" that make me feel less deprived. As you go along, you will become more creative with the OP options, and you won't feel so overwhelmed and bored with what you can have. If someone didn't like cheese or eggs, I don't know how they would do this program...If I get hungry during the day, I just grab a protein type snack..but I don't hesitate, because the flip side is likely a poor choice if I let myself get too hungry.

Last edited by Tamikl; 11-10-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Closed Thread