Old 10-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #16  

Height: 5'0"

The bad side effects from Alli only happened to me when I ate too much fat. So, I tried not to eat too much...or if I really splurged, I didn't take the Alli. :-) And since I'm pretty much constipated most of the time (sorry, TMI), Alli actually helped me.
PamBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:59 AM   #17  

no judgment, just making a point .... and that is that this program doesn't have enough carbs and fat in it to block, so if you need a carb and fat blocker, you're eating off program (which is fine .... we can all choose to eat whatever we want).

I do understand the eating out part .... restaurants do use more fat in their foods, even when you're ordering healthy choices. But if you just hop right back on the next meal, that little bit of extra will flush out in a day or two without adding even more pills to your program.

my point was what we choose to eat or not eat is up to us ... it's a personal choice, and if you choose to spend even more money on yet another supplement, more power to you!! If you feel it helps you, great! My personal opinion is that it's not necessary .... when I choose to eat off program, I eat off program, then get right back on the next meal .... this is a difficult journey for all of us, we all struggle. Old habits are hard to break, and sometimes sneak back in.

I just hope that for those of you doing this for the first time, that you don't make my mistakes and have to be back here doing it again!! It's hard!! Gaining back the weight I lost was no one's fault but my own .... and it was all about accountability and personal decisions. I lost the weight and was happy as could be, and got lazy with tracking food and thinking I could eat whatever I wanted.

No offense was meant to anyone, just sharing my own thoughts.
dkmd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #18  
Maintenance Member

S/C/G: 211/191/175

Height: 5'5

Hi Deb....I appreciate your note...I guess it isn't what we say, it is more likely the way we say it or how it comes across Each of us have good intentions...

We are all here to help eachother....and I personally appreciate this type of accountability. I need it. Thank you for being a part of our discussions. Like you, I don't want to do this journey all over again...ever!

Have a great day all!

Tami
Tamikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:06 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 192.5/163.4/160

Height: 5'8"

Yes, I see it like Deb: the carb/fat blocker doesn't give you permission to go eat whatever you want, but it's a little proactive measure you can take when you know that the food options may be out of your control. That is, if it actually works. I did break down and buy it, so I think I will take it when I eat out and not give it much more thought. I did look up that ingredient, (after i bought!) chitosan, and saw multiple things online suggesting it was not
effective. But I don't think it can hurt. And it doesn't work like Alli- that ingredient is called orlistsat and would have to be listed on the bottle. I think it would have to be FDA approved, too. I sure don't want to have to worry about THAT side effect!

One more thing, it's so true that the way we say something can make all the difference in how people interpret it. Some other boards I have read are full of people flaming each other and getting all self-righteous about this or that. We have different backgrounds and experiences, but we share the common pain that being overweight creates in our lives. And we are taking action to change.
camaswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #20  
Motivated Member

S/C/G: 210/204/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaswa View Post
Yes, I see it like Deb: the carb/fat blocker doesn't give you permission to go eat whatever you want, but it's a little proactive measure you can take when you know that the food options may be out of your control. That is, if it actually works. I did break down and buy it, so I think I will take it when I eat out and not give it much more thought. I did look up that ingredient, (after i bought!) chitosan, and saw multiple things online suggesting it was not
effective. But I don't think it can hurt. And it doesn't work like Alli- that ingredient is called orlistsat and would have to be listed on the bottle. I think it would have to be FDA approved, too. I sure don't want to have to worry about THAT side effect!

One more thing, it's so true that the way we say something can make all the difference in how people interpret it. Some other boards I have read are full of people flaming each other and getting all self-righteous about this or that. We have different backgrounds and experiences, but we share the common pain that being overweight creates in our lives. And we are taking action to change.
i love these boards and feel like i can speak honestly. and even appreciate when someone tells me ...hey, obviously you haven't been journaling..(guilty) or hey, you don't get a fruit w/ b-fast and what you may be telling me but not coming right out and saying -hey didnt you pay alot of money for this program so stop cheating and do it so you can be successful. LOL! that's how we help each other and i really appreciate all the help i can get! :-)
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #21  
Maintenance Member

I also appreciate the accountability...please just be real gentle with me, ladies. I am very sensitive to criticism..LOL

Also, staying 100% OP is the key. Life goes on sometimes, though, which can make it a challenge. But, we all know how to get there, just need to stay focused and DO IT!

Tami
Old 10-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 234.5/158/165

I agree - the board has been helpful. I do use the Fat/Carb blocker when I eat out. It's not that I planned to eat off-program, but you never know how the restaurants are preparing your dish and if it's compared in extra "left-over" oil that makes it way into your food. For example, I went to a hibachi-style Japanese restaurant and ate the meat and veggies that were OP, but wasn't sure about the oils in others' dishes, so I took the blocker and didn't experience a gain or anything... just fyi.
rachels77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #23  
it's always something

The Mayo Clinic tested 'carb blockers' and found that the only thing they could do was slow the digestion of carbs, but they did not actually stop digestion or block them. Furthermore, the amount necessary to slow digestion was much much higher than actually contained in the pills. Extensive tests showed no effect on weight loss.

According to Dr Stephen Barrett, fat blockers only block about 1 gram of fat per day - if you take very high dosages of it (as much as 10 pills daily). At that rate it would take a full year to lose one pound of fat and cost a small fortune.

Most people who stick to their diets can have an occasional discretion without seeing an effect on the scale. If it was really due to the supplements, then the studies would have had a dramatically different result.

Supplements are not regulated and manufacturers are free to make claims and get away with them. The only thing they can't claim is something such as curing cancer or other disease. But they can say anything causes weight loss and they don't have to prove it. MRC and LAWL in particular have a reputation of sellingl a lot of weight loss products that don't work.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 192.5/163.4/160

Oh, wow.thank you very much. I won't buy them again.
camaswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:43 PM   #25  

Thanks for dropping in with your words of wisdom Suzanne!
dkmd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #26  
Motivated Member

S/C/G: 210/204/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
The Mayo Clinic tested 'carb blockers' and found that the only thing they could do was slow the digestion of carbs, but they did not actually stop digestion or block them. Furthermore, the amount necessary to slow digestion was much much higher than actually contained in the pills. Extensive tests showed no effect on weight loss.

According to Dr Stephen Barrett, fat blockers only block about 1 gram of fat per day - if you take very high dosages of it (as much as 10 pills daily). At that rate it would take a full year to lose one pound of fat and cost a small fortune.

Most people who stick to their diets can have an occasional discretion without seeing an effect on the scale. If it was really due to the supplements, then the studies would have had a dramatically different result.

Supplements are not regulated and manufacturers are free to make claims and get away with them. The only thing they can't claim is something such as curing cancer or other disease. But they can say anything causes weight loss and they don't have to prove it. MRC and LAWL in particular have a reputation of sellingl a lot of weight loss products that don't work.
Thanks Suzanne for sharing that information w/ all of us. i think we felt like alot of the stuff they try to push on us was BS but very cool that we now have scientific evidence from Mayo Clinic . i love this website - thank you so much for starting it!! would not have been successful without all the help and suggestions from my fellow virtual MRC members online :-)
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #27  
Maintenance Member

Anything that sounds too good to be true, likely is ladies!! Dang it!! I was hoping these pills worked!!!!! LOL
Old 10-29-2011, 10:38 PM   #28  
This is the Last Time!

S/C/G: 172/*ticker*/115

Height: 5'2"

I took the F&C blockers while on plan and never really noticed it helping. However, I've been taking these fat blockers from "The Slim Girl" and I can tell (on the scale) when I forget to take them. I'm not following a plan right now (starting Thursday after I get all my drinks delivered), and have been eating crap. I mean, really a lot of crap. I can't seem to stop myself. But, when I take the blockers I stay the same weight. When I don't, I creep up pretty quickly. I don't sell the stuff, but I ordered 6 bottles b/c I was on their "frequent shopper" plan. They have supplements and body wraps and stuff. I'm not really a big believer in most supplements, but these have worked for me.
Rocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 220/215/155

Height: 5'10"

I am glad to hear other people take the occassional meal off. My first consultant could not believe that I planned on going out to dinner with my husband occassionally. Needless to say, I axed her bc of her unrealistic expectations and lack of knowlegde regarding nutrition.
BOBCAT9976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #30  
Learning to say YES more!

S/C/G: 205/183/155

Height: 5'7"

Hi Rocki! Can you message me where you found those fat blocker supplements you mention from The Slim Girl? I only found a "Box" set of materials but not blockers. Thank you in advance for your help!

Brand, spanking new to this forum so if I am off protocol, I humbly ask for a hall pass. I did try to find a direct message icon but wasn't able to see one.

Also, I have had success with the MRC Carb/Fat Blockers in the past, and if anyone wants to sell theirs, please message me. Thanks much!
supermommyintx is offline   Reply With Quote