3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Metabolic Research Center

HNS alternative

Old 08-11-2011, 12:36 AM   #16

S/C/G: 174.5/156.0/137

Height: 5'6"

Hi Bigdog (and everyone else)
the protein powder from Swanson's cat # is SW1233--very plain which means you can add all of your own favorite flavors or put it in soups, etc.

I totally agree with you on their shaker bottle--the one w/ the metal ball in it--it IS the best!!!

I tried many of the protidiet stuff too and don't dislike it--except for the prices--even w/ the free shipping. Although it IS pretty convenient to have a single serve pack to go with you sometimes.

On that note, I have also found that muscle milk light is about the same counts as a creamy, and they're in those little liquid packs all ready to drink--I keep some of those around when I am in a jam--they're a little pricey so I use them as emergency backup. They're in my local grocery stores--I think I saw them at Costco last summer. Make sure you get the "LIGHT" version.

I'm determined to keep my costs down from here on out--I was one of those fools who bought ALL supplements and the saliva tests--hundreds of dollars down the drain needlessly.
Some of the supplements actually make me sick--MSM--I'm allergic to sulfa drugs and can't tolerate sulphur dried food--guess what the S stands for? My bad.

Would anyone out there like a minimally used large bottle of MSM?

Also, I can't take the "ALL DAY WEIGHT LOSS" supplements--4 different bottles of stuff--they hype me up too much/knock me out too much. MRC said for me to stop taking them. Also minimally used and up for grabs.

Oh well, live and learn!
shiner9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #17
one day at a time

S/C/G: 225/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorsGirl View Post
Good morning! (well, it's morning for me in Hawaii) I know most of y'all look for cheaper alternatives to the HNS and have found some on dietdirect.com but sometimes the shipping cost is a lot. I did a little sleuthing myself and ended up at GNC. I found a whey protien product that is practically identical to the HNS shakes only it's virtually tasteless, so you can make it taste like or add it to whatever you want! It's by Optimun Nurtition and called "100% Any Whey Protein". I've used it a couple times now and I add a little Crystal Light to it to make my own HNS. Now it says it's "virtually tasteless" but I've noticed a bit of a vanilla-y taste and smell, but it wasn't overwhelming. So anyway, this is an alternative. I got a 21.6 oz tub (30 svgs) for $25. But I bought mine at our Navy Exchange (on military base) so things tend to be cheaper there than out in the civilian world. But I found it on Amazon for cheaper and with free shipping. I like it as an alternative, but I'm not making any promises that you will! As a military wife I know the value of a dollar and thought we could all help each other save a little moolah! I don't have enough posts to be able to post links yet, but if you google "Any whey protein" the manufacturers website (optimumnutrition dot com) and the stuff I found on Amazon will come up. Hope this helps!

Quick look: (per scoop/serving)
70 calories
0 fat
0 Cholesterol
30 mg sodium
1 g Carb
17 g protein (i think thats 2 more than the HNS)
8% DV of Calcium
Thank you, Thank you! This is the best thing since sliced bread. I'm going to be using this whey protein as my HNS's. I mix it with fruit punch crystal light and it tastes just like a strawberry shake. I look forward to trying it with different flavors. Thanks for posting this. It makes me very happy.

Also on the note of alternatives, my sister and I did MRC awhile back and we used those pure protein bars for the meal replacement bars and we lost the amount of weight that we were supposed to in the time frame that MRC gave us. I lost 72 lbs in 6 months. Now I'm back to lose it again and keep it off 4 good!!

Lets keep these alternatives going, I LOVE THEM!!

SEPTEMBER MINI GOAL
learning2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #18
Started July 1, 2011

S/C/G: 187/157.5/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by learning2Bhealthy View Post

Also on the note of alternatives, my sister and I did MRC awhile back and we used those pure protein bars for the meal replacement bars and we lost the amount of weight that we were supposed to in the time frame that MRC gave us. I lost 72 lbs in 6 months. Now I'm back to lose it again and keep it off 4 good!!
:
learning2Bhealthy: Will you post what kind of pure protein bars you're talking about? Like brand name and where you got them? I've looked at protein bars in the local stores, but am confused about what kind to buy.

Also.. what are your plans in keeping the weight off for good this time? I'm so afraid I'm going to get to the end of this and gain it all back.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #19
one day at a time

Hi ginpea, They're called Pure Protein. You can get them at Wal-Mart. That's all I used (when I did a meal replacement) the whole time I was on MRC last time. I even took them in and asked what the difference was in those and what they have. She couldn't find anything really. She said something about the sugar alcohol may upset my stomach but that's all that they could come up with. hehe. My favorite was the S'mores flavored.

I'm thinking about signing up when I have 10 or so pounds to lose and go through the stabilization and maintenance correctly this time. Last time I had the worst sweet tooth I had ever had once I started introducing different foods back in. I'd go get a tub of icing and eat the whole thing in one sitting. I had never ever done that before so knowing that I may need to stay away from introducing sugar back into my diet. I didn't crave anything the whole time I was doing the diet. Just when I hit stabilization. Are you doing MRC on your own?

SEPTEMBER MINI GOAL
Old 08-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #20

The Pure Protein drink mix is also a good meal replacement shake. I buy the big tubs of vanilla, and add flavoring to it, at Sam's.

Deb
dkmd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #21

S/C/G: 176.5/158/140

Height: 5'4''

Hello all, does anyone know a gelatin free substitute for the clear HNS? Has anyone had success on the vegetarian program?
valarieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #22
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by valarieg View Post
Hello all, does anyone know a gelatin free substitute for the clear HNS? Has anyone had success on the vegetarian program?
Great question! My DH and I went vegetarian for a month and we loved it. I needed to lose weight so I thought that I'd go off and the do MRC that I'm familiar with then go back. I haven't heard any great reviews on the vegetarian menu so I didn't even bother. I'd love to get some more info on it as well!!

SEPTEMBER MINI GOAL
Old 08-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #23

S/C/G: 212/205/160

I have purchased a few flavors of the Proti Line from Diet Direct. i don't see a huge difference in taste and they seem to have more protein than the HNSs
Harte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #24

S/C/G: 208/196/168

Height: 5'8"

Default thanks for all these money saving suggestions!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harte View Post
I have purchased a few flavors of the Proti Line from Diet Direct. i don't see a huge difference in taste and they seem to have more protein than the HNSs
i'll have to say i am addicted to Diet Direct~!!! i love that they send me free samples w/ every order and free shipping if it's over $49. they even sent me a $10 off coupon for my next order. The Wonderslim products have the same amounts of protein, etc as the Proti diet HNS's they sell at MRC. click on the Sale item to see what they have on sale. the strawberry yogurt smoothies are fantastic. i bought the shaker bottle for $2.99...actually 2 of them...one i keep in my car w/ packs of powder. i buy the pink lemonade large container $26 (has 24 servings) and keep in tupperware in my car to mix w/ bottled water. the vanilla creme shake is even better than a mcdonalds milk shake!! i add crush ice, water and shake in my cool shaker! lost another 3.5 lbs!! woo hoo!!! and feel great!
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #25

Sailor'sgirl - thank you so much! I was just sitting here doing the math on the cost of the protein drinks (via DD) and was getting overwhelmed. I've done MRC before and lost 30lbs, but since then I've had a baby and need to lose the baby weight + more. I decided to go the route of others and "do it on my own" this time. I don't see why not. I know what to do and this way I don't have that immense pressure to buy their supps. This one lady treated me like a child, if I strayed off the program (not drinking enough water or didn’t eat enough). That got so old and I actually got mad one time and they put it in my file. My original reason for going there was to lose weight to help me get pregnant (it worked!) but I’ll never forget when that lady (who treated me like a child) saw on my file that was my reason and she started talking to me about it (as if she cared) then the real reason came out and she said I needed to pay for the “MRC Hormone Detection Kit”. I was so upset and it was the final straw. I did love this one consultant, but they wouldn't let me request her specifically each time. If they all treated me the same way she did, I would go back for just the moral support and the weigh ins.
newbabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #26

S/C/G: 198/186/150

I was just getting on here to see if any of you do this WITHOUT the HSN's. If you buy online, do you tell your center that? Are they OK with it or give you issues? My DH has decided not to use his HSN's anymore...doesn't want to pay for them and is losing, albeit slowly, without. I'm not too sure though. I'm tired of the cost, but yet, if I lose, it's worth it to me! I also did the big 3 and am now out. Debating buying those again or not. I can't get in for a WI until beginning of next week, and I'm out of all my pills--guess I'll see how I do over the weekend. If I lose some, maybe it will convince me I don't need to spend all that moolah on pills that don't work! I just wonder what they will say if I tell them I don't need their stuff
naschlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #27

S/C/G: 208/196/168

Quote:
Originally Posted by naschlim View Post
I was just getting on here to see if any of you do this WITHOUT the HSN's. If you buy online, do you tell your center that? Are they OK with it or give you issues? My DH has decided not to use his HSN's anymore...doesn't want to pay for them and is losing, albeit slowly, without. I'm not too sure though. I'm tired of the cost, but yet, if I lose, it's worth it to me! I also did the big 3 and am now out. Debating buying those again or not. I can't get in for a WI until beginning of next week, and I'm out of all my pills--guess I'll see how I do over the weekend. If I lose some, maybe it will convince me I don't need to spend all that moolah on pills that don't work! I just wonder what they will say if I tell them I don't need their stuff
i talked to my doctor about the pills and she said some people lost faster with them but once you're off them you'll stop losing so she recommended not taking them. from alot of these posts, if you follow the diet, you'll lose and don't need the pills. i take my own Women's daily vitamin, b-6, b-12, fish oil, calcium - i didn't buy any other supplements except the phenatrim? i haven't taken it yet $79! and got suckered in the saliva test (worthless and the results were just to push their pills)
i told them i have my own protein powder and use that. i did not tell them i order everything from Diet Direct or Walmart (their vanilla creme whey protein powder is great and cheap in bulk) one counselor was ok w/ that but there is one i'll call "B" always tries to pressure me to buy pills and HNSs. when i go in, i leave my pocketbook in the car, weigh in and scoot out quickly!! :-) seriously i think the $400 i spent is enough for 17 wks. i did have to talk to the mgr. and i think he put in my notes not to harass me about buying all the stuff but you can tell them your doc told you or tell them a friend gave you their HNSs :-). i do think the HNSs and protein shakes have helped me stay OP. i buy the Protidiet Pink Lemonade (diet direct) in bulk 17.6 oz for $26 and mix it w/ the protein powder from walmart - drink 3-4 a day...
It is a really good plan and the first time i've lost weight again (i'm a Weight watcher lifetime member and have lost and gained the same 25 lbs over and over!!!) have lots of energy so really do love the Meta Slim menu..
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #28

S/C/G: 192.5/163.4/160

I think it is important to distinguish the HNSs from the pills. The HNSs are protein, which keep you fr burning lean mussle tissue. When you lose lean, your metabolism slows. That might be why your husband is loosing slowly. As for the pills, they are mostly BS. Sometimes it's kind of funny to listen to those young girls talk in circles trying to sell them to me.
camaswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #29

when I did MRC before, they had a plan without using the HNS .... it involved adding egg whites, lean fish and chicken (about 2 oz in place of each one, if I remember correctly) in place of them.

Deb
Old 10-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #30

Default Vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by valarieg View Post

I don't know how far back on this site you can go, but there was a woman on the site, Denise, whose screen name was namaste ... she lost approximately 100# on the vegetarian plan. She used to post a lot and gave lots of vegetarian ideas. It was 3-4 years ago, but you might want to go back a ways and see if you can find her posts. She also writes a blog, and there was a link on her pages.

Deb
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.