Old 11-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #16  

Height: 5'6''

Holidays do not need to equal stress. T-Day is a great chance to eat well if you ask me...and maybe someone else has done the cooking for you.

Turkey - on plan! Stick to white meat and avoid the gravy.
Veggies - on plan! I brought a raw veggie tray last year and kinda munched on those throughout the day as people were eating pie etc. Cooked veggies and salads are ok too of course, just beware of cream dressings on either of them.
Bread - Have 1...and only 1 roll if thats your deal. Last year, I skipped the roll and had a sliver of pumpkin pie instead.

The danger of T-Day isn't what you eat, but overeating. Eat and then occupy your mouth otherwise. Carry a big cup of water around with you and chew gum. Hard to eat something if you're chewing gum. If thats not for you, then take your toothbrush and brush your teeth after you eat. Can't eat after you do that.

Most of all...don't stress it. SO not worth the effort of stressing over. Enjoy the time with people rather than focusing on the food. Be thankful most of all that we are blessed with the problem of having too much food. There are lots of people in the world who won't eat at all next Thursday.
Hvnlymzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:29 AM   #17  
Time to move!

S/C/G: 197/see ticker /140

Height: 5' 2 3/4"

Default Check it out!

Check out this helpful Cooking Light article to learn the real truth about holiday eating:

http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-s...0400000001262/
ladystarrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:59 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

I am planning on not really eating all morning and afternoon. I will eat a little fruit to tide me over while I cook the meal. We usually have dinner in the late afternoon. Then I will be weighing out and eating the baked turkey, green beans with no oil or almonds, and salad with balsamic vinegar. All of that is on plan. I DO plan to have 3 stuffed mushrooms (TOTALLY not on plan and a piece of pie. I agree that it is 1 meal and I dont want to feel deprived or left out.

Last edited by katkitten; 11-22-2010 at 07:01 AM.
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #19  
Started Aug 2010

S/C/G: 263/150/195

Height: 5'5"

I also found this recipe on BariatricEating.com, for spiced pumpkin flan. I think I'm going to try it. Just hoping it doesn't taste all chemical-y from the sugar-free stuff. Only 84 calories, though (and 7g protein).

http://www.bariatriceating.com/BEhea...umpkinflan.php

Served warm with a dollop of whipped cream, this cinnamon and ginger-flecked, creamy pumpkin custard is an anytime favorite. It can also be an excellent addition to a holiday table, and it is a great dessert to cart along to a family member’s house so you can avoid the full-sugar pumpkin pie that is sure to be there.

Vegetable oil cooking spray
1 cup Costellini’s Sugar Free Cinnamon Bliss Syrup or DaVinci SF Caramel Sauce
¾ cup Splenda Granular
½ teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground clove
4 large eggs
One 15-ounce can Libby’s 100% Pure Pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling which is already sweetened)
One 12-ounce can evaporated low-fat milk (not sweetened condensed milk)
Whipped cream sweetened with Splenda, OR Reddi Wipp

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly spray a one quart deep round or square baking dish with the vegetable oil cooking spray, pour in the Cinnamon Bliss syrup and place in a large roasting pan.

Mix the Splenda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves in a small bowl. Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Blend in the pumpkin and the spice mixture. Gradually blend in the evaporated milk.

Gently ladle the filling over the syrup into the prepared baking dish. Pour very hot water into the roasting pan to come about halfway up the sides of the dish.

Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a thin knife instered near the center of the custard comes out clean. Carefully remove the baking dish from the hot water bath. Cool to room temperature then chill.

When ready to serve, run tip of sharp knife around edges of flan in baking dish to loosen. Place large serving platter over top of flan, and flip in one quick motion. Gently tap baking dish until baked flan releases onto platter.

If unmolding the baked custard scares you, flan can also be served from baking dish by spooning portions into dessert dishes.

Top flan with whipped cream and serve.

Makes eight ½ cup portions

Last edited by teacherlady79; 11-24-2010 at 12:20 PM.
teacherlady79 is offline   Reply With Quote