Old 10-19-2010, 10:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Exercise question

What kind of exercise is everyone doing? I was trying to do some high impact aerobics at one point but it stopped my weight loss so I know I have to do something less strenuous while on this diet, I thought maybe just some pilates. After I get to maintenance I will definately be kicking it up. I have the new Turbo Fire workouts by Chalene and i love them, they just are too much for now.

I know some of you have changed plans to exercise more, but what is everyone else doing?

thanks,
Sherral

Last edited by Sherral; 10-20-2010 at 06:45 AM.
Sherral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

I haven't been doing anything so far, once I get to the green menu though I plan to start incorporating a daily walk or something light for awhile and see how that impacts my weightloss
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 6'1''

I do lots of different things so I don't get bored: karate, hiking, zumba, circuit. My favorites are zumba and hiking.
hatethesweatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #4  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/125ish

Height: 5'2''

But...heres my question/comment - I cant seem to find the motivation to get my butt in gear and move my body after I get home from work. I keep SAYING Im going to start walking every day, but am to wiped out when I get home! Was thinking maybe trying to get a walk in at lunchtime at work, but it wouldnt be more then 15 - 20 minutes or so...not even sure if it would be worth it...How do I find some motavation!
theycallmemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #5  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

Start small (regarding exercise) and as you lose weight and gain energy, you will desire to do more. It is a process. First thing is to START, cause it seems that just getting started is always the hardest part! I began going about 1/4 of a mile and in a few months was doing 3-4 mile at a time. It was invigorating and my weight loss was awesome.

theycallmemom -- noon hour is an excellent time to get some exercise and I believe that 15-20 minutes can yield great benefits. Once you get it going, you might enjoy interval walking (based on Dr. Al Sear's Pace program). This is where you start comfortably for a couple of minutes, then go full force for twenty seconds, then bring it back down to norm . . .

oh, here is a link that might be more helpful than me trying to explain:
http://dralsearsprimalforceproducts....erval-walking/

Weight Loss By Interval Walking

Would you like to make your walking experience healthier and more interesting? You will find there’s way you could use-up more calories. Who doesn’t want that? Consider starting an Interval Walking training program.

What are you aware about this particular type of training? It’s very simple and lets you have bursts of walking fast and then back to the slow stride. Why would you wish to incorporate this style into your exercise/pleasure exercise routine? The benefits are that you use-up more calories; your aerobic capacity will improve; this kind of training is often more enjoyable because you are changing your routine. One benefit is that with Interval Walking training you no longer need any special equipment. Should you be under a physician’s take care of a particular health issue, you should check with your doctor BEFORE you consider Interval training.

As always you should start slowly anytime you change your walking routine. It is advised that you apply a faster stride between certain mailboxes or particular trees or other land marks. Then get back to your normal pace. It goes like this: walk slow for 2 minutes and then move faster for 2 minutes. Whatever works good for you is your best routine.

I started Interval Walking this week and at first it kept me busy. I adopted the go faster 2 minutes then slower for 2 minutes. I found that hard to account for time and to walk properly because I use Nordic poles. I then found a walking trail in my neighborhood and adopted the mailbox routine that I spoke about earlier. I believe I will get use to the 2 minute timing schedule. I’d rather not always walk in my neighborhood and be dependent upon my neighbor’s mailboxes.

If you are looking at burning more calories to lose weight, consider Interval Walking.
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmemom View Post
But...heres my question/comment - I cant seem to find the motivation to get my butt in gear and move my body after I get home from work. I keep SAYING Im going to start walking every day, but am to wiped out when I get home! Was thinking maybe trying to get a walk in at lunchtime at work, but it wouldnt be more then 15 - 20 minutes or so...not even sure if it would be worth it...How do I find some motavation!
You really can't depend on motivation at the beginning, as motivation is an emotion. Until you start feeling great and losing weight due to exercise, you just have to make yourself do it. I brush my teeth. I wouldn't go out of the house without getting dressed. I certainly wouldn't miss a meal. I exercise. It's just what I have to do because it's good for me. Now that the weight is coming off and I have more energy, I HAVE to exercise or I'm bouncing off the walls!
Old 10-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 209/178.8/150

Height: 5'4''

I do Zumba and run the Couch 2 5k workout program. I was working out 4-5 times a week before MRC, and have cut it to 2-3 times a week. They told me I could do intense workouts for 160 minutes a week....and to monitor if I plateau-ed to either take it down a notch or change my menu plan.

They also told me to be sure to drink an HNS before and after workout...even if it meant getting 5 HNS in one day, when my normal max is 4. They said the extra protein and a few extra calories would keep me fat burning.
Razorbackbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

For those that are working out on a regular basis, does it affect your weightloss at all? I see so many posts about being stalled because of too much exercise or even gaining.. are you losing well?
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #9  

It can definitely stall your weight loss. I did the regular plan for about 3 months, then began to exercise b/c I felt so good. I wouldn't give that up, so they switched me to a different plan. It's worked for me to a point, but I still don't think I'm eating nearly enough and my weight loss has been slow-ish...like .5-1.5 lb/week. For example, on Saturday, I burned 1200 calories on a hike and my meal plan only had 1000 calories.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 209/178.8/150

Height: 5'4''

I have not had issues with it stalling my weight loss at this point. And if it does, I'd rather work out and up my calories. I exercise for heart health, strong muscles, etc....so I'm not giving it up. Give it a try...you will know in a couple weeks if it is an issue.
Razorbackbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #11  
Amazing will be me

cross trainer &Tae bo dvds
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #12  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbackbritt View Post
I have not had issues with it stalling my weight loss at this point. And if it does, I'd rather work out and up my calories. I exercise for heart health, strong muscles, etc....so I'm not giving it up. Give it a try...you will know in a couple weeks if it is an issue.

This advice is dead on! And if you lose the weight, but don't have the nice developed muscle underneath, you may still very well appear "fat". Some added muscle tone allows you to see, perhaps, a greater number on the scale, but NOT in the MIRROR! Regaining shapeliness and losing inches can be far more satisfying than the number on the scale. I think it is key to the end results!
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

The girls at my center said pilates is great while losing weight as it does not add bulk to muscles (I am already pretty muscular) but it lengthens and tones your muscles. They also mentioned yoga would do the same.
Sherral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #14  
Started Aug 2010

S/C/G: 263/150/195

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherral View Post
The girls at my center said pilates is great while losing weight as it does not add bulk to muscles (I am already pretty muscular) but it lengthens and tones your muscles. They also mentioned yoga would do the same.
I LOVE Yoga! I did it several years ago, but stopped going when I started getting fat. After I started losing a few pounds, I really wanted to work on stretching and strength, so I went back to yoga.

I can honestly say that yoga is what keeps me on track during my diet-difficult weeks. Not only is it a great workout (I sweat more during yoga than I ever did running), but it really helps with creating and reaffirming a positive mindset as well.

As I gain strength and flexibility in my yoga classes, I will probably add a pilates class, as well (it's a little more challenging to me, and I tend to give up easily if it's too difficult).
teacherlady79 is offline   Reply With Quote