Old 03-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 204/178.8/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Working out on MRC the Pros and Cons

Hey ladies,
I workout 30-50 minutes 3-5 days a week, nothing extreme 1-2 miles on the elliptical or treadmill each day, Pilates and a Ballet routine I like. I have a bad back (surgery @ 22 now 28) so I am limited in how long I can workout and the types, (can't do yoga and running has far too much impact at this point ) However I was considering switching from green menu to the Meta balance. I have to eat yogurt at least 2x's a day for other medical reasons and right now I'm just kind of adding it in. Do you think I work out enough to use Meta balance effectively and not gain, or would it have an adverse affect?

I was lucky I had one counselor who was all about the exercise, (I know some are opposed to it), but never recommended the Meta balance, last summer when I was OP and working out a lot more, I had a strong workout regimen, but got no where with the loss. I got some muscle but it was INCREDIBLY slow, and some days I felt weaker instead of stronger when doing my workout.

What do we think? and how have you treated exercise while OP and what did your center think?
emilyszynaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 6'1''

30 min/3x week and 50min/5x a week is a big difference. If you are averaging over 200 min week for a month or so, and are seeing a plateau, I would consider switching to meta-balance. I was losing great with moderate exercise (50min/3x week - walks, etc). It's when I really picked up the intensity and time that I plateaued. I didn't switch to meta-balance right away; I wanted to make sure the exercise routine was going to "stick." I've started and stopped exercise programs a million times. When it "stuck" and I plateaued for over a month, I switched to meta balance. My weight loss picked up again and I lost 1-3lbs/week for the remainder of the program. I really love the menu and still use the general format for maintenance. You feel terrific and are hardly ever hungry.

Basically, you add in the 2 dairy plus 1 fruit, but your protein goes down to 3oz at mealtimes. It took a while to get used to the 3oz meat portion - it's just not a lot of food. But because you're going to eat again in a couple of hours, you get used to it.

Please let me know if you have any other specific questions about metabalance. It was created originally for people who have diabetes (I think?), not exercisers. So, it's possible to lose on it without heavy exercise, but at a lot slower rate (.5-2lbs/wk).
hatethesweatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW211(MRC-SW193.6)/182/130

Height: 5'0"

I'm so glad to see this thread. Today will be my first day working out with my husband! Strength training shouldn't be included in the 200 min, right?
mandiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #4  

The 200 minutes "officially" is "hard cardio." I do a type of strength training that really gets my heart rate up well into the fat-burning zone, so I count it. I would suggest to anyone to get a heart rate monitor that also counts calories burned. It's very helpful.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #5  

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyszynaka View Post
What do we think? and how have you treated exercise while OP and what did your center think?
My center is very pro-exercise. It's part of the enrollment contract. They even have a flyer on the desk that I picked up titled "Exercise Anywhere" giving tips on little things you can do that can work exercise into your everyday routine.
JenB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #6  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

I walked regularly when I initially began the program and watched my weight drop dramatically and very quickly. So gllad I did that. I looked like I weighed less than I did, but I didn't mind that. I looked fit for the first time in years.
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW211(MRC-SW193.6)/182/130

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatethesweatpants View Post
The 200 minutes "officially" is "hard cardio." I do a type of strength training that really gets my heart rate up well into the fat-burning zone, so I count it. I would suggest to anyone to get a heart rate monitor that also counts calories burned. It's very helpful.
Is there a specific HR monitor you like better than others?
mandiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/178.8/155

Height: 5'6"

Thank you ladies SOOOOO much for all the advice! I'm rejoining my program on Saturday, I've been doing it on my own for a while and have really been struggling and with my new wacky schedule, I don't think Im regulating my food very well, and I eat more on some days than others. But boy does that daily workout make you feel AWESOME! One member here has a quote that says no one ever says I wish I didn't workout today, and I feel it when I dont. Actually I feel it the workout after I skip a workout, odd????
emilyszynaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandiana View Post
Is there a specific HR monitor you like better than others?
I've had 2 Polar hrm's and I like them. Make sure it has a chest strap (much more accurate cal count), the ability to personalize it with your height and weight, and something that doesn't allow other heart rate monitors in the vicinity to interfere with it (can't remember what that's called). A good one will run you about $70-90, but it's worth it.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 182/174/140

Height: 5'9

I also have the Polar Hrm with the chest strap and it's a very solid product. Haven't used since starting MRC, I am only on day 3 of the meta slim plan and I am finding it hard to muster up enough energy to even THINK about getting my booty going. Sigh.. anyone else go through this in the very first couple days?
gina143g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #11  

So, so normal, Gina. Don't worry about it right now - your body is going through a major stressor. If you can get out and walk, you'll feel so much better. But the detox phase made me feel like I had the flu. It gets better!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 182/174/140

Height: 5'9

Thanks Hatethesweatpants! I do feel worlds better in general than I did on day 1. I think detoxing from all the caffeine, artificial sweeteners and sugars has really done wonders for me, I don't feel near as foggy as I normally do! Btw, MRC should put you on their payroll for marketing. Your results are amazing, you look fantastic!
gina143g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gina143g View Post
Thanks Hatethesweatpants! I do feel worlds better in general than I did on day 1. I think detoxing from all the caffeine, artificial sweeteners and sugars has really done wonders for me, I don't feel near as foggy as I normally do! Btw, MRC should put you on their payroll for marketing. Your results are amazing, you look fantastic!
Aw!
Something clicked this time, and I'm forever grateful.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 279/256.5/150

Height: 5' 6"

Default Encouraging

I am finding I feel so strong and empowered after working out and it helps keep me from eating things I shouldn't because I don't want to "waste my hard work".

Mariah
momoffour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gina143g View Post
I went through this too - the first 5 days I felt completely "off" - I had severe headaches that even aspirin wouldn't take care of. It was completely the carb/sugar/caffeine detox days. About day 3 - I was completely out of energy, it was hard for me to even get up from the couch and move to bed! It slowly start to ramp up by day 5 - but I started taking the multivitamin and B12 (supposedly helps with the headache) ... I did feel great after day 6! No more headaches - my sister in law who also went through the program - said this was the toxins in the body being washed out.
born2btxgrl is offline   Reply With Quote