What should I be looking for???

• I am sending my husband to Sam's tomorrow and want him to pick up some chicken breasts for me. I know there are some called mesquite I love them. What should I have him look for on the nutrition label so that I am not getting something bad?? I know sodium is an issue but what else?

Thanks
  • Check the ingredients.. if there is anything other than "chicken breasts", then skip it. Maybe if theres only 2-3 ingredients because they're frozen, thats ok, but if you see a paragraph of anything (mostly words you don't know) put them back and walk away.

You can look up the nutritional information for foods online and you want the foods you purchase in the stores to be the same, original, whole foods without anything added. Specifics are sodium, fillers that addcarbs or fats as the primary red flags
  • When I go to Sam's, I buy just the plain chicken breast. The breast themselves are pretty large. I freeze each one individually and then cook them accordingly. I think that each breast might weigh 12 ounces or so. After I cook the breast, I usually eat one then and weigh out the remainder so that I have it for other meals.
    This takes effort for sure but weighing the amount of food is key.
    One other thing that I buy at Sam's is their spinach. It comes in a large container but we can have 8 ounces of salad at a meal. I think that spinach is a better food choice than just a salad. They also have a very nice mixed green salad there.
    Good luck with the program!
  • you cant eat "mesquite" flavored chicken. It has sugar in it. and of course sodium
  • Anything flavored is generally bad news.