Are all HNS in the form of drinks?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I'm one of those people that hates to drink my calories...I've always been perfectly content with drinking nothing but plain unflavored water. Do I not have any other option with this plan...the drinks don't come in protein bar form?
  • There are chocolate snacks and puddings, but you are only allowed one of those a day. The other 2 or 3 have to be the drinks. These are part of the program, so these calories are perfectly fine to drink.
  • The HNS help me not eat as much. I can def. stay OP when I max out on them, and the days I skip a couple I end up paying for it in the end when I find my hand in the Doritos bag or my kiddos cookies!! Just think of the calories you are drinking are saving you from consuming a LOT more from food!
  • yes, the clear liquid hns is absolutely key to this plan. consume the max, as the high protein content helps gobble up the carbs that turn to fat!
  • Thanks again, everyone! You guys are so awesome with answering so many of my random questions!
  • Quote: I'm one of those people that hates to drink my calories...I've always been perfectly content with drinking nothing but plain unflavored water. Do I not have any other option with this plan...the drinks don't come in protein bar form?
    In my food class they told us that you can drink the concentrates straight from the container if you want to. They were calling them "shooters." That's what I have done the whole time. I haven't been a real big water drinker before I started MRC so I didn't want to add more fluid to my day to take away from the water consumption since those don't count towards your water.
  • Mrc-hns
    I just don't understand how this HNS is really very good for you? I looked up all the ingredients and the protein is comprised of mostly gelatin. Also they don't want any soybean oil in the CO-Q10, but there is plenty of Soy in the HNS. Anyone else have any information or thoughts.
  • August6, do you take the HNS then, or do you have an alternative that you take?
  • mouse120
    I will be starting them on Monday. I guess my concern is how much these cost, and are they really that beneficial to the program? I can't be on these things for the rest of my life? The program hasn't been completely explained to me I'm just getting small pieces. I like to know it all up front and I'm very much a researcher. I was told the HNS and the multivitamin and EFA were mandatory, so I have to buy them no matter what, that's an add'l $200 a month and I have 17 weeks on program. Is it mandatory for you?
  • Quote: I will be starting them on Monday. I guess my concern is how much these cost, and are they really that beneficial to the program? I can't be on these things for the rest of my life? The program hasn't been completely explained to me I'm just getting small pieces. I like to know it all up front and I'm very much a researcher. I was told the HNS and the multivitamin and EFA were mandatory, so I have to buy them no matter what, that's an add'l $200 a month and I have 17 weeks on program. Is it mandatory for you?
    You can get your EFA's from any health food store. Just make sure they are "enteric coated" or you will end up with a NOT PLEASANT fish taste for the rest of the day. You will go off of the HNS's at the end of your program as they train you to count calories and eat reasonably. The HNS's have been very helpful to me b/c it takes the guess work out of snacking. I have them with my meals, and then either one in the mid-morning or mid-afternoon. I wasn't a fan of it at first, either, but considering how much LESS I'm eating in general and not buying alcohol, I figure I'm breaking even!
    Good luck,
  • Oh, you can get your multis from another source as well. I buy their multi and EFA because, for the first time EVER, I don't have a stomach ache with MRC's vitamins. Every other vitamin I've taken has totally upset my stomach. I was told that MRC's multi doesn't have iron, so it doesn't cause stomach upset. I take a handful of MRC vitamins at every meal and I've never had a stomach ache.
  • August6, I'd send you a PM here, but I can't figure out how to do it on this site...

I feel the same way as you! I signed up on Tuesday last week, will be starting everything for real on Monday, and I don't feel like they gave a very good overview of the program...I'm learning all the details from the wonderful people on this board I'll also be on the program for 17 weeks. I'm thinking of asking the person I'm meeting with if there's an alternative to the HNS, since I HATE drinking my calories away. I'm starting at way under 200lbs, and from what it sounds like from other posts on this board...you don't have as much protein on the under 200lbs plan so it might mean fewer HNS? I'll let you know what 'my person' says

As for vitamins and fish oil, I've been taking them right along for years, so I'm just sticking to what I normally use...which also isn't cheap.

I also noticed that your end goal is 1lb lower than mine...any chance you're looking for a 'buddy' type of thing?
  • The HNS's are essential for the program. They are the additional protein that you need to make this program successful. You will NOT need to drink them for the rest of your life, just while on the program to help with the weight loss. Like others have said, the protein in the drinks help to fill you up so that you aren't hungry later and don't find yourself snacking on other things. I usually have a cup of hot chocolate HNS every afternoon for my snack that definitely cures any hunger I have and tides me over until dinner.

It sounds to me like the two of you are very skeptical of this program - these are things that make the program work, without them you are missing a very key part to it. Perhaps there is a different weight loss program that might be more tailored for you?
  • Oh, I'm definitely not skeptical...I met two people last week that have lost 50-100lbs on the program and love the program itself I'm just going to have to train my mind to not hate drinking calories...which is going to be a difficult behavioral change for me at first. That's the only reason I'm looking for alternative protein. And I'm glad to know that the HNS only last for the program, and are not life-long requirements...quite expensive...

Question? Someone had mentioned either in this thread or another that the HNS don't count for your required water intake. But if the HNS is powder mixed with a cup of water, why doesn't that count as 8oz of your required water for the day?
  • The program wants to break habits, so they tell you what you need to drink in water. Anything else is just that, extra, but doesn't count towards the water total. You need to flush everything out of your system, with just water. Nothing else.
    The HNS is not "drinking calories away". Not if you realize that the 2 extra ones are your snacks. And considering that this is a low calorie diet, the HNS is just adding what you need.