Old 05-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #16  

Height: 5'6''

Yup yup yup...it's all about the hair and skin. This diet is a low fat diet...we don't eat much at all and our body requires healthy fats to maintain lots of things. I'm going through the thin hair phase right now too...ugh, just ugh! But...another added benefit for me of the oils (i do 3 @ eat meal) because it helps keep me regular. I don't have the fiber problem as i eat A TON of raw veggies...almost never eat them cooked. I just prefer them raw, but all that bulk gets stuck sometimes and I notice this MUCH less when I take my 3 fats rather than just 2 or 1.
Hvnlymzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:44 PM   #17  
Sticking to it this time!

S/C/G: 320/302/150

Height: 5/10

I don't take anything, there is something about the coating on most of those pills that don't agree with me. I was getting sick everytime I took my pills, so I have stopped taking all of them, and I still loose at a good rate (as long as I stay on plan)
MeghanMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:03 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 191/140

Height: 5

My "counselor" tried to sell the Calcium and Magnesium supplement, but I just told her that Calcium needs D not Magnesium (which she didn't know) and I found a Calcium/D supplement at the grocery store really cheap. I just have to remind myself that they are going to try to sell every supplment they have, that's how they make the money. I may buy a regular mutli when I'm done with this bottle. Which one is the EFA? I take the multi at each meal, take one at breakfast and lunch, and one I take two with each meal. The yellow sheet I got yesterday (day 1 today) says you are only required to take the EFA and the HNS.
sclingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:28 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 280/260/140

Height: 5'2"

well....here I am after not posting for a few days. I have been following the diet to a T. I was taking 2 MRC-6s before each meal and 2 flaxceed oils (1000mg) with each meal, per directions.

I have been SICK as a dog. I had been on the diet for just about a week and had entered Ketosis by about Wednesday of the week before. Three days to reach ketosis is about average. I was right on track. By this last Monday I was starting to experience the big D...diarrhea...and my Wednesday my kidneys were literally screaming.

I joke about not being able to drink all of of the recommended water but in all honesty I've been chugging it like nobody's biz.

Imagine and I'm sure all of you don't even have to do this....
Imagine going onto a heavily restricted diet (around 700-800 calories) and taxing your kidneys by going into ketoacidosis...then taxing them even further by extremely loading them with TONS of vitamins and oils. The kidneys are already in high gear and then it's like throwing a flamethrower into the fire.

I had researched all of the vits. All SHOULD contribute to weight loss. However, I did read (and see on the MRC-6 bottle) that Magnesium Stearate is an ingredient. Magnesium is used as a laxative (just think of Milk of Magnesia if you have any doubt . 6 of the MRCs?...

IMHO, the dosages are WAY too high. However I can see why everyone is encouraged to use these as a weight loss supplement b/c constant laxative loading WILL result in quick weight loss. RE: the hair loss - well DUH....if you're always laxative loading..the body will NEVER absorb the nutrients it needs and consequently the body will suffer.

I'm absolutely adamant about trying to lose weight. I *am* going to talk to my center regarding the dosages and adjustments. Personally, I think what's suggested is too extreme..and potentially dangerous actually. Long term health effects could result.

I think it's GREAT that everyone is working towards their weight loss, but do it *moderately*...Only do what your body can handle. Some of the recommendations may be more than you can handle. Just be aware of what your body is telling you. Hair loss is one indication that you're doing TOO much!

Cheers!! ; ) Keep it real !
~HOPE

Last edited by hope2lose; 08-15-2010 at 01:29 AM.
hope2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:00 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 222 / see tracker / 150

Height: 5'5'

During my first month on plan, my restroom experiences were 'varied'. It took about a month to get used to it and now I havent had a problem with the big D in at least 5 months.

I take MRC-6 twice per meal as well. Maybe give it a little while to work through your system and for your body to adapt to the new ratios of food you're eating and it might adjust.
GoalAug2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:03 AM   #21  
Time to move!

S/C/G: 197/see ticker /140

Height: 5' 2 3/4"

Default Hair loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWE140 View Post
Last year when beginning the program I took all required EFA and fish oil...My hair still fell out...I only noticed this a couple of months ago when I had 2 to 3 inches of hair around my head...very frustrating...my hairdresser even told me my hair was much thinner than it was 2 years ago...so I am working hard to take care of the hair I have and can't wait for the "new" hairs to fill in...I have stopped all supplements every single one...for the last month and feel no different...I am tired of trying this or that, and am detoxifying my body and will begin after June taking a multi, omega's, & D.
Hair loss has other causes. I lost a lot of hair a number of years ago, unrelated to dieting. It turned out my thyroid was hyperactive. (I lost a lot of weight without dieting, too). When I finally received a correct diagnosis and got my TSH and T4 levels stabilized, the hair (and the pounds) came back, although not as thick as before, which I attribute to aging. If you continue to lose hair, you may want to check with your medical practitioner.
ladystarrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:34 PM   #22  

I keep my fish oils in the freezer, if I take it immediately after I remove it from the freezer, I don't get those horrible burps. Don't know if it will work for everyone, but it works for me.
dkmd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:51 AM   #23  
Skinny for Scuba!

S/C/G: 178/149/135

Height: 5'1"

I use Barlean's Fresh Catch Fish Oil - it's coated w/an orange flavoring and delivers zero fishy burps - and it's pharmaceutical grade - and it's not expensive!! I would recommend it to anyone - I usually buy it from The Vitamin Shoppe as well (for convenience), but here it is online: http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...LAID=443600216

I do think it's essential to do the Fish Oil and a Multi-vitamin simply because we're missing lots of important things in this low cab/low calorie diet - your body needs those things! So some basic supplements are important. But I think outside of the Fish Oil and Multi-vitamin, the rest you can take or leave depending on each individual. I myself have added a complex B (to help flush out water) and Potassium (to help w/leg cramps that I was getting regularly). I get all my vitamins from The Vitamin Shoppe - they offer pharmaceutical grade ones for a very good price.

I really like the multi I take from there - it's a one a day specially formulated for women - and it's all natural/organic, so your body will process more of it than a non-organic version (more of that will go to waste): http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...jsp?id=VS-2584
guinevere75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:36 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 171/155/138

Height: 5'6

I find that keeping the fish oil capsules in the freezer make them less fishy. I don't know how I know this. I am not sure if it causes less absorption, but it defiantly makes for less fishy burps.
2b determined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:19 PM   #25  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

I take a high quality Omega-3 by Life Extension, 700 mg EPA / 500 DHA (Super Omega-3) with sesame lignans and olive fruit extract). This is made from WILD FISH, absolutely no mercury. I have been told that the amount suggested on bottle is like taking nothing. I have worked up to 12 capsules each day, 4 at each meal.

This video may be helpful: http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/09/...5.tpl#comments

A reference to Dr. Barry Sears (Zone diet) -- he gave 15 fishoil/day to an obese man in Mexico.. who weighed over 1100 lbs.. He lost 400 lbs in first year (down to 700)...and his lipid chem is good. He also lost almost all his hunger. Dr Sears says with high dose fish oil, it is almost impossible to have a heart attack!

Life Extension fish oil is 60% concentration (EPA+DHA)...
so when Dr Sears says 10 Grams/day, this works actually works out to 17 LEF fish oil pills/day...

Last edited by Joy2MeNu; 08-16-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote