Old 01-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 193.0/185.0/140.0

Height: 5'1

Biotin was recomended to me when I bought the Nioxin. It is a supplement for hair, nails and skin. Be careful when purchasing hair products such as Nioxin at places other than hair salons. My hairdresser just told me today that sometimes the products look just like the real deal, but they are not. She said to check the ingredients and make sure they are the same. Nioxin is a specialty hair product and so you want the real deal. If it is the same then go ahead and get it.. It is just that a product that is not formulated the same will not do the same thing.. Just a little something to keep in mind. I also saw it at Costco and may purchase it there next time//

Cheers!
Ronnie
RonnieAdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #32  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CndLou View Post
I have noticed a lot of hair in the shower and brush too. I am glad that you all posted this info, however your sense of humor made me giggle a couple of times. I, too, have naturally curly hair...I wonder if that has anything to do with it?? I use Nioxin and if you decide to buy it...do NOT buy it at a salon shop. Walmart carries it in their salon and it's the cheapest I have found. Also, what information does anyone have on Biotin, that somebody else mentioned?? Is it a MRC product and/or where do you get it from?? Bald or thin...I hope we don't have to make that choice!!!!!!
You can get the Biotin at anyplace that sells vitamins.. I think I got mine at Costco.. Probably Walmart, Target and such carry it as well..

Ronnie
Old 01-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #33  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifties Lady View Post
I'm still worried about this gals. I don't mean this to sound cruel at all, but as we start to lose weight and start to be bald, people are going to think we have cancer or something???? I use to think my hair is all I have going for me....I don't want to lose it. What can we do???? Thanks for the tip about buying Nioxin at Wal-Mart....I will be buying a few bottles of that for sure. Does someone know if it comes back once your body has adjusted to your new diet? Here we are finally getting healthy, and our hair is gone!!!! Can't we ever be sexy????
Actually I spoke to my hairdresser about this today too, she said the hair will grow back. It is not a permanent thing. This is why it is recommended to use biotin for hair and nails. Or any vitamin or mineral that is for hair and nails.. Don't worry we won't be like this forever.. It is worrysome though....

Ronnie
Old 01-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 184/175/145

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
I'm still worried about this gals. I don't mean this to sound cruel at all, but as we start to lose weight and start to be bald, people are going to think we have cancer or something???? I use to think my hair is all I have going for me....I don't want to lose it. What can we do???? Thanks for the tip about buying Nioxin at Wal-Mart....I will be buying a few bottles of that for sure. Does someone know if it comes back once your body has adjusted to your new diet? Here we are finally getting healthy, and our hair is gone!!!! Can't we ever be sexy????
Fifties Lady your message had me laughing so hard. Losing my hair is no fun but after reading this and other messages I'm beginning to feel much better. I guess because I'm not alone. I really appreciate the laughs because after combing my hair I want to cry..WAAAAAAAAAAAH I guess we're exchanging on thing for another (fat for hairloss). Another member mentioned maybe the curly headed people are having the hairloss. We'll my hair is very curly and thick. I too bought some organic biotin shampoo and conditioner but it seem to dry my hair out even more and hard to detangle. Maybe I'll try the Nioxin. Maybe we'll bring in new style Bald-N-Sexy!
bjwizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 184/175/145

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieAdl View Post
Biotin was recomended to me when I bought the Nioxin. It is a supplement for hair, nails and skin. Be careful when purchasing hair products such as Nioxin at places other than hair salons. My hairdresser just told me today that sometimes the products look just like the real deal, but they are not. She said to check the ingredients and make sure they are the same. Nioxin is a specialty hair product and so you want the real deal. If it is the same then go ahead and get it.. It is just that a product that is not formulated the same will not do the same thing.. Just a little something to keep in mind. I also saw it at Costco and may purchase it there next time//

Cheers!
Ronnie
Your right Ronnie. My hairdresser told me the exact same thing. She put special emphasis on the bogus products/look alikes.
bjwizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #36  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjwizzy View Post
Your right Ronnie. My hairdresser told me the exact same thing. She put special emphasis on the bogus products/look alikes.
Yep, I guess you get what you pay for! In our case we want more hair! LOL..

(not so funny I know) ;(

Ronnie
Old 01-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 256/217.5/150

Height: 5' 2"

I'm beginning to hate the commercial about how many hairs are you finding in your brush now!!! "BM" (before MRC) I never worried because my hair is so, so thick and it was kind of a blessing how it was a cheap way to thin it out. Now, it's not funny!!! Natural curly hair must have something against being slim! Well, thanks for the info from your hairdressers...and you are so right about buying "fake products". I am going to do some researching to see what I can find out. "Bald and Beautiful" may be a new Reality TV Show for us! Or we could do the "Biggest Hair Loser"! Guess we have to make the most of it....losing fat is so much healthier than losing hair I would think.

Everyone stay warm....it's 1 degree here and windchill 23 below right now. I won't be going to the center today to WI....burrrrrr
Fifties Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #38  
Teresa

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Thanks for all the info. I was going to try a product called Cell Ovation, but think I might try the Nioxin and biotin. I was told the MSM helped with hair and nails, so will compare the info from that to the biotin and see if it is similar. My hair has some wave to it but isn't curly, so that might not matter.

FL - Not that it is any consulation, with the wind chill it is -26 here this morning. Stay warm. I'll be having my hot chocolate hns at lunchtime today.
TeresaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:23 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

There is also a product sold at Sally Beauty supply that is very similar to Nioxin. I just can't remember the name right now.... darn it. I used it as an alternative to the more expensive Nioxin in the past. Had the same problem with hair loss when doing Atkins. Having it again now. <<Heavy Sigh>>
So, I have my bottle of Borage Oil, and Biotin at the ready. I also read somewhere about rosehip oil being good for hair regrowth... haven't tried it though.
cmb9697 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #40  

Height: 5'6''

Ugh...been here before! My last time on MRC i lost hair, then got preggo and it grew in nice, now I'm losing it again...Yippeee!

I'd love to blame it on the corti-trim, which i did take and was taking this time, but am not taking it anymore. I'll ahve to see if the hair loss improves while i'm still on plan, but off of the CT.
Hvnlymzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #41  

I just talked to one of the counselors at my center about hair loss and she said to double my fish or flax seed oil pills. I hope that will help...it's worth a shot. Has anyone gotten any feed back from their center about the hair loss?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #42  

Quote:
I just talked to one of the counselors at my center about hair loss and she said to double my fish or flax seed oil pills. I hope that will help...it's worth a shot. Has anyone gotten any feed back from their center about the hair loss?
FL, my center said that some folks on a restricted calorie diet will lose some hair, but once we get our calories back, we will also stop losing hair.. so this is an incentive for me to get to goal and on stabilazation and maintanance. The sooner I get there, the sooner my hair will grow back!

Ronnie
Old 01-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #43  

Height: 5'5"

I just started to use the Ovation Cell Therapy. I have heard great things and will keep everyone up to date on the prognosis. I started the begining of January and am a habitual dyer... about every other month. Luckily my hair has stayed healthy but I too have noticed a lot more in the drain and my brush. The worst is right after a shower, I comb my hair and then usually pull a good wad off the ends of my wet hair. Very sad but its good to hear its temporary.
daizy hotrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #44  

I have been reading up on this and diet does play a big role in your hair growth, but we are getting lots of protein, so I guess I don't understand. I did read this:

Rapid weight loss is another reason for accelerated hair shedding. Dropping weight too quickly and/or participating in a fad diet that is not nutritionally sound can cause imbalances in the body and cause increased hair shedding.

Following a healthy weight-loss program can prevent this from happening.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 212/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5

The Nioxin at Walmart that I bought is the real deal and it's cheaper. You have to buy it in the salon that's located in a Super Walmart store (its less because they can buy it in large quanitities). I have heard from several people that the MSM really helps with hair, nails, and skin. I'm trying it. I will look for Biotin too.
CndLou is offline   Reply With Quote