3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Metabolic Research Center (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/metabolic-research-center-228/)
-   -   what's your plan of attack for thanksgiving? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/metabolic-research-center/185100-whats-your-plan-attack-thanksgiving.html)

leahruthie 10-26-2009 02:48 PM

what's your plan of attack for thanksgiving?

hi all! it's almost november, which means thanksgiving is just around the corner. for most of us, this will be our first time facing down a major food holiday while trying to eat OP. my question is this: how do you plan to make it through the holiday in one piece? :dizzy:

i know someone (genell? lori? sorry, i can't remember) mentioned doing MQ before and after thanksgiving, which seems like a pretty smart idea. are there any other ideas? does anyone have any surprisingly healthy thanksgiving recipes?

i'm lucky because this year we'll be headed to my family's thanksgiving instead of josh's (we alternate each year), and my mom (who is also on a weight loss journey via weight watchers) is always careful to lighten up traditional recipes or bring creative salads for us to enjoy, so it wouldn't be as bad as it would be if josh and i were headed for his family--where the sweet potato casserole and tons of pies abound! so basically, my plan is to load up on whatever my mom and i bring and to eat just plain white-meat turkey with no gravy (which is actually no problem for me because that's how i usually roll--i don't like gravy!!).

your turn! what's your PLAN OF ATTACK?!!

TeresaG 10-26-2009 04:19 PM

I too have been thinking of these next couple of months trying to stay op, yet getting over the feeling of being deprived.

I'm kind of like you in that we will be going to Steve's parents, where the fixings aren't quite as abundant or calorie enriched. I usually make a sweet potatoe dish to take, but I will make something different this year. If our plans stay as this, my biggest temptation would be dessert. Most days I can say no without a problem.

I did like Genell's plan of mq before and after. If dinner plans change I might adopt her idea.

Has anyone here gone through holidays while OP?

nepeanut 10-26-2009 04:52 PM

Great idea for a thread, I'm anxious to hear our senior members ideas.

We will be going to my parents and my mom is also very conscience of what we're eating. Also this is the first year my sister is dealing with a gluten allergy, so, there won't be a lot of tempting homemade rolls for either of us. That's a good thing.

I'd love some ideas of things to make and take that everyone would enjoy.

porchmom84 10-26-2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leahruthie (Post 2987721)
hi all! it's almost november, which means thanksgiving is just around the corner. for most of us, this will be our first time facing down a major food holiday while trying to eat OP. my question is this: how do you plan to make it through the holiday in one piece? :dizzy:

i know someone (genell? lori? sorry, i can't remember) mentioned doing MQ before and after thanksgiving, which seems like a pretty smart idea. are there any other ideas? does anyone have any surprisingly healthy thanksgiving recipes?

i'm lucky because this year we'll be headed to my family's thanksgiving instead of josh's (we alternate each year), and my mom (who is also on a weight loss journey via weight watchers) is always careful to lighten up traditional recipes or bring creative salads for us to enjoy, so it wouldn't be as bad as it would be if josh and i were headed for his family--where the sweet potato casserole and tons of pies abound! so basically, my plan is to load up on whatever my mom and i bring and to eat just plain white-meat turkey with no gravy (which is actually no problem for me because that's how i usually roll--i don't like gravy!!).

your turn! what's your PLAN OF ATTACK?!!

Please tell me what MQ is.

Hvnlymzic 10-26-2009 05:35 PM

When I'm in the center this week I need to look back at my chart from the last Thanksgiving I was on plan (thanksgiving 2007) and see if I lost weight the week of Thanksgiving.

My plan of action was to eat a small portion of whatever I wanted...that including sweet potato, stuffing, pie, etc etc etc... and I mean super small portion of everything except white turkey (probably had just a taste of dark meat) and veggies and one roll...carbs are a downfall for me. I figure I have to have Thanksgiving meals after I'm off plan too and they aren't going to change for me, so I had better learn to adjust to them.

I'll let you know about my results from last year.

Kae 10-26-2009 05:43 PM

Thanksgiving at my Mom's house is off-the-charts fattening... so, naturally, I have started giving this some thought. Stuffing is really my favorite thing so I think I will allow myself a little turkey and stuffing and then make myself some asparagus and salad to go with it. I'll be skipping dessert and sticking with water.

porchmom84 10-26-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hvnlymzic (Post 2987979)
When I'm in the center this week I need to look back at my chart from the last Thanksgiving I was on plan (thanksgiving 2007) and see if I lost weight the week of Thanksgiving.

My plan of action was to eat a small portion of whatever I wanted...that including sweet potato, stuffing, pie, etc etc etc... and I mean super small portion of everything except white turkey (probably had just a taste of dark meat) and veggies and one roll...carbs are a downfall for me. I figure I have to have Thanksgiving meals after I'm off plan too and they aren't going to change for me, so I had better learn to adjust to them.

I'll let you know about my results from last year.

This is so helpful. Please define "super small" so I can start implanting that thought... I LOVE pie and rolls and don't want to give that up....can understand increasing the protein a lot through the turkey and bringing my own veggies maybe.....

Pcherr001 10-27-2009 01:20 AM

So maybe my connections class wasnt a waste. the lady said dont deprive your self, but dont take more than 2 bites. There really is no need. My plan is to drink LOTS of water and just take 2 bites of everything I love and load up on the turkey breast. And not to have leftovers the entire week strictly program the day before and after. We can do it!!!

E4FEwife 10-27-2009 07:28 AM

Make yourself some off the MRC cheesecake for dessert, it's part of the program but not for dinnertime, you'll get something sweet, that looks like pie/dessert and won't feel quite so deprived. Another cjoice would be to crush some melba toast "crust" from the cheesecake recipe on the bottom of a dish and top it with steamed apples tossed with cinnamon & splenda.

GWE140 10-27-2009 09:10 AM

Yes it was me the culprit - I will do MQ the week of Thanksgiving and have a normal meal with my family Thanksgiving day, of course I will limit the servings and will basically taste everything but really eat the turkey - taste means 2 to 3 small bites...my goal is not to feel deprived and to enjoy our tradition but keep smart about it, once I get to maintenance this is exactly what I will need to do - to learn how "to have my cake and eat it too" without weight gain...its all about planning. Good luck...

Genell

PS - I will also increase my water this week to help with the extra salt intake!

noahsmama 10-27-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWE140 (Post 2988688)
Yes it was me the culprit - I will do MQ the week off Thanksgiving and have a normal meal with my family Thanksgiving day, of course I will limit the servings and will basically taste everything but really eat the turkey - taste means 2 to 3 small bites...my goal is not to feel deprived and to enjoy our tradition but keep smart about it, once I get to maintenance this is exactly what I will need to do - to learn how "to have my cake and eat it too" without weight gain...its all about planning. Good luck...

Genell

This is what I desperately need to learn. I don't know what it is with me but it's like I get a taste of it and just want/desire more. There's a story that keirasmommy posted in a seperate thread that just spoke to me today and it just proves that this is what I need to do and CHOOSE to do. I'm back on program today and am going to get these last few pounds off. You're SO right Genell and thank you for sharing your advice.

leahruthie 10-27-2009 10:07 AM

i'm the same way, lynn--"just a taste" is somehow never enough for me, and that's something i need to get to the bottom of. :\

noahsmama 10-27-2009 11:35 AM

Leah I wish we could diagnose each other :) I think mine is just more of a choice but I also am going to explore the emotional connection that I have with food at a later point.

Hvnlymzic 10-27-2009 11:51 AM

When i say just a little bit, I'm talking about a tablespoon size serving of what I shouldn't have (sweet potato, creamed green beans, cranberries, etc) and a sliver...and i'm talking sliver (or a bite of someone else's) dessert.

Salad (bring your own dressing if you want...no one will mind), veggies (even if they're prepared with salt and bacon or whatever, as long as not creamed - especially veggie tray...if it's raw, you know there's nothing bad on it), 1 roll, turkey breast, water...all freebies. You'll get full faster than you think.

I'll also bring a 2-liter of Diet Rite...I'll have a glass with my meal and then water the rest of the time.

There are 2 keys for me... #1 - Stop when you're full. #2 - Teach yourself to enjoy without going overboard. Most of us (unless there was a medical issue) got where we are from overeating. Denying yourself on holidays is not the way to learn. That food will always be there...might as well teach yourself how to eat. Focus on the healthy foods, but don't run away from the other foods. By all means, if you're a purist and wanna eat the MRC correct cheesecake and eat only OP that day...DO IT. Thats what we're paying for right? I'll never discourage eating OP. I do it every day. I rarely cheat. But, if you're going to eat off plan foods, do it, but be smart. Think 90% OP and 10% off plan for the day.

RonnieAdl 10-27-2009 02:00 PM

I am also concerned about the holidays, especially since I am the one doing the cooking. I don't want to deprive my family of a nice holiday meal, but I don't want all the temptation that comes with hit either. I am also one of those people who can't have one piece of anything. I think I will just make less quantities of all the stuff so there won't really be any leftovers and that may help some.. Oh I am dreading Thanksgiving :(