Old 10-26-2009, 10:22 PM   #1  
McKinney, TX

S/C/G: 201/196/150

Height: 5'6"

Smile What is the chemistry that makes MRC work??

I was told at my center that the reason I must eat strictly according to the plan is because of the "chemical balance" that causes fat loss. If I eat my fruit serving as an afternoon snack rather than with my lunch, it messes with the balance and therefore I may not burn fat. Does anyone understand why this is? I am so full after the giant salad I eat for lunch, I can hardly eat the fruit. Just trying to understand...this seems silly that I MUST stuff myself at lunch and dinner and then I get hungry in the afternoon and sometimes at night.

Last edited by fatnomo51; 10-27-2009 at 05:39 PM.
fatnomo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:27 PM   #2  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 212/212/130

Height: 5'1

I could not agree with you more!! I would also like to know the same thing.
LaRee mother of 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:55 AM   #3  
McKinney, TX

S/C/G: 201/196/150

Height: 5'6"

Looks like this question has stumped everyone.
fatnomo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #4  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/196/155

Height: 5'8"

i wonder this often myself. they say that the balance between protein/starch/fat/whatever is carefully formulated for maximum fat-burning, but i can't help but wonder why having an apple in the middle of the afternoon instead of at lunch would throw the whole thing off... or why everything is so compartmentalized when you'd think as long as you're eating that set number of calories in the day, it wouldn't matter when or in what combination. i mean, i guess they're the ones who know what they're talking about, but it's weird!
leahruthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #5  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 212/212/130

I agree, I used to eat an apple in the car on the way home from worked. Kept me from grazing on whatever when I got home. Wish I could still do this...I always have the munchies when I get home from work.
LaRee mother of 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #6  
Teresa

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRee mother of 3 View Post
I agree, I used to eat an apple in the car on the way home from worked. Kept me from grazing on whatever when I got home. Wish I could still do this...I always have the munchies when I get home from work.
Leahruthie said what little I know as well. It all has to do with timing of what is eaten to make our bodies burn fat. You might work your eating schedule to have an HNS just before you head home to ward off the munchies. It is hard to eat an 8 ounce salad if most of it is lettuce. I had to cut it down and would use like 3 ounces of lettuce and make up the rest in tomatoes, cucumbers, cauliflower or green peppers in some combination.
TeresaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #7  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaG View Post
Leahruthie said what little I know as well. It all has to do with timing of what is eaten to make our bodies burn fat. You might work your eating schedule to have an HNS just before you head home to ward off the munchies. It is hard to eat an 8 ounce salad if most of it is lettuce. I had to cut it down and would use like 3 ounces of lettuce and make up the rest in tomatoes, cucumbers, cauliflower or green peppers in some combination.
Makes for a way more interesting salad too!
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #8  

Height: 5'9"

I don't know if anyone has tried to substitute raw cabbage for the lettuce in having a fresh salad, this is something I do 3 times a week...just like coleslaw...I buy a head of green cabbage and chopped up 4 oz (the prepackaged bagged chopped is too strong and turns brown quickly) I then mix the cabbage with green onion, cucumbers, apple cider vinegar, 1 splenda and some dijonnaise - I then top with tuna/chicken/grilled fish...I like to have a crunch and this does it...changes things up a bit...
GWE140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #9  
rip

S/C/G: 282

Height: 5 11

GWE140
I also love the crunch of the raw cabbage and use it quite a bit.

Started MRC 5/9/09
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 350/311/222

Height: 5'7"

That sounds like a delicious cabbage salad recipe! Will try it when I shop next time.

I gathered about the "balance" the same thing you all did - apparently if you have too many carbs without protein your body will burn the carbs instead of your body fat? So having an apple alone without the protein at lunch can take your body out of ketosis (your body will take the carb energy of the apple as it is easier to access than body fat is?) But when you eat and drink all the protein, your body gets the message that there aren't carbs coming and so you'll have to burn fat. At least that's the impression I get - I weigh a lot and I'm on the Meta-Slim Level 3 plan which means snack in the morning and snack in the afternoon, both small protein items; and there are no meals with both fruit and starch because having them both in the same meal would send the body to burn those carbs instead of body fat... I think?
CJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/175/150

Height: 5'5"

Thank you CJay. That makes sense. I too have been fighting the hunger pains & have had a few "cheats" because I think like the others, that what is the harm. But now I see the "science" behind it all & this should help me stay on target now.
I find that things are "secretive" on this program. I am so grateful for this website.
iluvindiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 193.0/185.0/140.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWE140 View Post
I don't know if anyone has tried to substitute raw cabbage for the lettuce in having a fresh salad, this is something I do 3 times a week...just like coleslaw...I buy a head of green cabbage and chopped up 4 oz (the prepackaged bagged chopped is too strong and turns brown quickly) I then mix the cabbage with green onion, cucumbers, apple cider vinegar, 1 splenda and some dijonnaise - I then top with tuna/chicken/grilled fish...I like to have a crunch and this does it...changes things up a bit...
I have made coleslaw a couple times and it was really good.. I get kind of tired of salad and that was a nice change! I grated my own cabbage though. Didn't think of the bagged stuff. I need to look into that I guess..

Ronnie
RonnieAdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 259/ticker/165

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvindiana View Post
Thank you CJay. That makes sense. I too have been fighting the hunger pains & have had a few "cheats" because I think like the others, that what is the harm. But now I see the "science" behind it all & this should help me stay on target now.
I find that things are "secretive" on this program. I am so grateful for this website.
I really get what you mean by secretive I feel the same way. My family has been asking alot of questions, about why I do this and that, and I'm im like I dont know, because they tell me too.
Pcherr001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #14  
Tactless but Honest :)

S/C/G: 188/178.6/140

Height: 5'4''

Question Coleslaw

How do you make on program coleslaw? I love oleslaw. I miss so many foods.
DZackery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 209/150/155

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJay View Post
That sounds like a delicious cabbage salad recipe! Will try it when I shop next time.

I gathered about the "balance" the same thing you all did - apparently if you have too many carbs without protein your body will burn the carbs instead of your body fat? So having an apple alone without the protein at lunch can take your body out of ketosis (your body will take the carb energy of the apple as it is easier to access than body fat is?) But when you eat and drink all the protein, your body gets the message that there aren't carbs coming and so you'll have to burn fat. At least that's the impression I get - I weigh a lot and I'm on the Meta-Slim Level 3 plan which means snack in the morning and snack in the afternoon, both small protein items; and there are no meals with both fruit and starch because having them both in the same meal would send the body to burn those carbs instead of body fat... I think?
Yes, This exactly how it was explained to me. That's why you may have a HNS for a snack. To keep the balance. (as long as you don't go over your daily total)
Roadqueen is offline   Reply With Quote