Old 01-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/175/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Struggling

I need some encouragement. I'm only on my 3rd day of the yellow menu and I'm questioning if I made the right decision about this investment. It's such a huge adjustment for me compared to the horrible way I was eating and all the diet coke I drank, which I know I needed a change but it's just so drastic! I question if I should've gone BACK to Weight Watchers since their diet is more lenient (sp?). However, realistically, I know that I've joined WW countless times and lost weight in the beginning, then lost motivation and never even reach goal. Maybe they give too much freedom for me. I'm just freaking out and right now feel like I don't even have the motivation to go to events like my Bunco group tonight or a baby shower that I missed yesterday. I'm not strong enough yet. Does that get better? Also, my in-laws are coming for a week-long visit this week, which means lots of food. Sorry to ramble, just feeling overwhelmed and feeling sorry for myself!
jendlee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #2  
Teresa

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jendlee72 View Post
I need some encouragement. I'm only on my 3rd day of the yellow menu and I'm questioning if I made the right decision about this investment. It's such a huge adjustment for me compared to the horrible way I was eating and all the diet coke I drank, which I know I needed a change but it's just so drastic! I question if I should've gone BACK to Weight Watchers since their diet is more lenient (sp?). However, realistically, I know that I've joined WW countless times and lost weight in the beginning, then lost motivation and never even reach goal. Maybe they give too much freedom for me. I'm just freaking out and right now feel like I don't even have the motivation to go to events like my Bunco group tonight or a baby shower that I missed yesterday. I'm not strong enough yet. Does that get better? Also, my in-laws are coming for a week-long visit this week, which means lots of food. Sorry to ramble, just feeling overwhelmed and feeling sorry for myself!
This program is very structured, but it works. The commitment was made and it can be hard at times, but when you have those questioning thoughts, think of what made you walk through the doors to begin with. You had your reasons, what were they? We all have our weak moments, some we make through fine, others we fall off program. I've had those occasional times when it wasn't easy to say no, I think the biggest help is having a plan beforehand. Such as your Bunco group or the baby shower. Having a plan ahead of time and timing your HNS to help prevent the hunger can help. Stick with it and you will find the strength to get through this. Make a list of the things you want to do after losing the weight and refer to that often. This idea was on the boards many months ago. During weak moments of temptation, thinking of those things can strengthen your resolve.
TeresaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/168/165

Height: 5'7" 1/2

I have had days like you especially during the Holidays, I was so overwhelmed with the Thanksgiving and the many, many Christmas parties.
But I started started talking to the center about a plan on the days I had to participate and it became easier.
I look at myself now just halfway to my goal and I feel so good about my weight thus far and so I just push on and know that along with the drop I don't have to take medication(cholesterol) which is what my doctor was suggesting. You have to look at your motivation and reasoning like TeresaG mentioned and of course talk to the center they are very helpful. sexyrene
sexyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 219.5/see ticker/168

Height: 5'7"

You are not alone! I wish this life change would come along and happen without any hitches! The holiday's were awful horrible! But I survived - by sheer willpower and determination. I know my reasons for being on this journey and you know yours. Remember what they are! Stay motivated to reach your goal - you made the hardest, biggest first step walking through the door! It does get easier - that being said, I still have days I struggle (after 9 weeks OP) and want to throw in the towel - then my 16 year old looks at me and says "Mom, you look good!" out of nowhere. Now that feels great!! (better than any Coke will ever taste! :0)
leigh34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/220/130

You're not struggling alone...I'm on day 2 of the blue menu. I cheated and had some frozen pizza 2 days ago and still haven't gotten my weight back where I was after going right back on plan. Some of the material says it takes 3 days to recover from a cheat...They're not joking!

Weight Watchers is a good program...it's too easy for me to go overboard. I'm planning on using it for maintenance.
GoodGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 193.0/185.0/140.0

Height: 5'1

Sometimes you just need to look at the big picture and like someone else said, what brought you here in the first place. It does get easier as time goes on because you start to see some real results and feel so much better. I also had tough times during the holidays, but I now realize I was slipping into what got me here in the first place and I do not want to go back there again. I have invested a lot of money and time and hard work into this life change and am going to stick with it. I have found that your mind plays little games with you along the way. Talk to your center and let them know the struggles you are having. They will help you get through it. They are a big help to me and I really appreciate all they do for me. I am 7 pounds from my goal but I know I am not done. I am just beginning really and look forward to it.. Hang in there! You pull strength from places you never knew you had..

Cheers!

Ronnie
RonnieAdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 0/62/67

Height: 5'5"

I can't tell you if you picked the wrong plan for you. For some people it's Weight Watchers, some it's Jenny Craig, for me it is MRC. You need to find what works for you and your lifestyle. For me MRC has been a "manual" of sorts. It tells a person what to eat, what to do to lose the weight, etc. As of today I have lost 60lbs and about 58 of it has been fat! I have stuck to the plan and have seen results. I am now down to a size 8 (comfortably) and am looking to be a bit smaller when I am done with this. I have 2 kids 911 & 16)and a husband at home, all who have been supportive, which helps tons. Give it a few more weeks and see how things are going. Point counting (Weight Watchers) sort of drove me crazy. When given the choice of "I can have this cookie for 2 points or eat this huge salad" - I would always chose the cookie! Good luck and we're here for you...
E4FEwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 225.5/186/135

Height: 5'3"

I struggled at the beginning too. I felt overwhelmed with figuring out the food and what I had to give up, etc. I never did the yellow menu as I started out with the beige one. I would suggest you plan on having your HNS and/or diet coke at your bunco group. It took me a couple weeks to totally get off the diet coke. If you want something to munch on, save your veggies from dinner and cut them up and take them with you.

For the weekend, get your meals planned ahead of time. If you're going to be going out to eat, then figure out what you can have when you are out. I've found a chicken Caesar salad (no dressing/croutons) or grilled fish and steamed veggies are both easy choices.

Good luck, you can do it!
Brendamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #9  

I question if I should've gone BACK to Weight Watchers since their diet is more lenient (sp?). However, realistically, I know that I've joined WW countless times and lost weight in the beginning, then lost motivation and never even reach goal. Maybe they give too much freedom for me. I'm just freaking out and right now

Awww Jen ..... hang in there, it IS overwhelming at the beginning. Only you will know the right program for you.

As a many, many, many-time member of WW, I never reached my goal because I used my points for unhealthy foods. That's not WW's fault, it's mine for making bad choices. What helps me with MRC is that you lose weight quickly so you don't get as discouraged as with WW, when you lose 1/2#, 1/4#, etc. Sure, you may have a few plateaus, but they're usually quick and then you're back to losing at a reasonable rate -- ends up over the long-run being about 2-1/2 to 3# per week, most people will not maintain the 4-5# per week that you start out at. But it's good motivation!

You may also adapt your program a weeeeeee bit if you think it will help you stay on it. For instance, I never gave up my Diet Mt Dew and never gave up my sugar-free coffee creamer and after the initial trial pack of supplements you get at the beginning was gone, I never took any. It never impeded my progress. The first time at MRC, I lost 55# in 5 months. I got sloppy, didn't finish and gained quite a bit of it back (not all of it), but am now doing it on my own and doing quite well. (In the interim I went back to WW, thinking I needed more latitude -- but that didn't work for me at all). It's a hard first week or two, but during that week or two you will see a dramatic loss, and that's pretty motivating!

Just try to get through 1 month before you make any decisions .... I think you will be so happy with your progress you will want to stay on!!
dkmd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #10  

Thanks for all your responses. They are helpful. I did go to my first weigh in and lost 5 lbs so that makes me feel much better of course. I'll be leaning on you all alot!
Old 01-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 193.0/185.0/140.0

Height: 5'1

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks for all your responses. They are helpful. I did go to my first weigh in and lost 5 lbs so that makes me feel much better of course. I'll be leaning on you all alot!
Congratulations! See you already made a good start.. That was a huge incentiive for me to stick with the program.. Keep going, you can do it!

Cheers!

Ronnie
RonnieAdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 0/62/67

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Lean all you need to! We'll try and hold you up.
E4FEwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:05 PM   #13  
One Meal At A Time

S/C/G: 145/ticker/130

Height: 5"5

why to go on the 5 pounds!!!!! People really start seeing the weight loss on you at 10 and that will really make u feel good. Keep it up one meal and a time!
JSTUCKLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 236/234/150

I know EXACTLY how you are feeling Jendlee. I am only on Day 2 of the Beige menu and I have already gone off program! I have had the most horrible headache over the last two days. I'm an elementary teacher and it has been really hard to do my job feeling so icky!

I, too, question if this is the right program for me. It is so restrictive and I have to think so hard about what to plan for food. I like variety and I think this plan just might kill me!

Just reading all of your posts has reminded that tomorrow is another day when I will once again have the opportunity to make better choices and stay committed to my goal.

Congrats on the 5 lb loss! I hope that is the inspiration you need to keep going.

You all just saved me from a bag, or at least handful, of DOVE chocolate!!

Angie
RedE4Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:25 PM   #15  

Angie, Just to update you and to give you hope- I, too, had the HORRIBLE headache my 2nd day and felt sick at my nauseous. I'm sure that was me coming off of my diet coke addiction. But by the next day even, I felt MUCH better. Of course, seeing the weight loss helped, but physically I felt better and it seems like the hunger is more manegeable now. I haven't been in alot of tempting situations yet, but just wanted to tell you that day 2 was the worst for me, so hang in there.