Old 09-15-2009, 04:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/159/133

Height: 5'4"

Default Alternative to Tomato Supplement?

Hey, there---
Ok, so I tried making the mock spaghetti out of the cookbook and almost puked up my toenails! That tomato supplement is the worst thing I've ever put in my mouth....I'd rather eat the dirt outside!! I'm not kidding either!
So, any ideas about how I could make the mock spaghetti? I like the spag squash and all. Hmm....maybe by cooking up a bunch of tomatoes and using seasoning?? I get so sad (as well as sick) when I am looking through the cookbook and think, "Oh, that sounds good!" then I frown when I see if calls for the tomato supplement. Sigh.
I'm not terribly desperate for new recipes yet. I haven't hit that wall but I'd like to have some things under my belt when that desire to stay comes (b/c I'm sure it will.....just a matter of time). Thanks for any help!!
shopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 194/151.5/135

I canned a ton of tomatos last year so I know they have no salt etc in them, just tomato and water. I blend those up in a blender, measure out my oz and use that. You could probably blanch some to remove the skin then blend the heck out of them. The only problem is the quantity. It doesn't make much.

As for the tomato supp, I only use it in Chili. I tried it in something else and wasn't too happy. Tried it in my own version of buffalo chili and it tasted almost like my original. The only thing I hate about the supps is if you reallly don't like it, you end up tossing the whole meal.

Sorry, just realized if you do it this way, you can't use it over your squash... too many veggies. But, it tasted good over a chicken breast and a little provolone!
3ducksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #3  

Oooh, thx! Chicken and provolone w/the tomatoes sound great!
Old 09-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/147/120

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopgirl View Post
Hey, there---
Ok, so I tried making the mock spaghetti out of the cookbook and almost puked up my toenails! That tomato supplement is the worst thing I've ever put in my mouth....I'd rather eat the dirt outside!! I'm not kidding either!
So, any ideas about how I could make the mock spaghetti? I like the spag squash and all. Hmm....maybe by cooking up a bunch of tomatoes and using seasoning?? I get so sad (as well as sick) when I am looking through the cookbook and think, "Oh, that sounds good!" then I frown when I see if calls for the tomato supplement. Sigh.
I'm not terribly desperate for new recipes yet. I haven't hit that wall but I'd like to have some things under my belt when that desire to stay comes (b/c I'm sure it will.....just a matter of time). Thanks for any help!!
Really? that bad? thats the one creamy i havent bought yet n it was top on my -to-buy list . so many recipes call 4 the supplement. hmmmm ... i knw u aint allowed 2 use cooked tomatoes it changes their glycemic index or something like that... hope theres a way out .. i was looking forward 2 it being a pretty okie dokie one so i cud have more recipes 2 try ....
mountain gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #5  

Height: 5'9"

I have used it successfully to make turkey meatloaf and that is about it!
GWE140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Hey, there---
I agree, the tomato supplement is horrible!
I posted a recipe for mock spaghetti along time ago on the recipe website... try to look back, you'll probably find it somewhere... I'll see if I can find it as well.

OK, I'm back, I looked, Can't find a post from myself but Namaste posted a great no cook spaghetti sauce recipe back about 4-7 pages(cooking changes the Glycemic Index of the tomatoes and supposedly not allowed on plan) you can try. I usually heat my tomatoes though. To make the spaghetti squash split in half length wise, clean out the loose strands and seeds, cook one at a time in microwave by turning cut side down onto plate and microwaving 8-10 min until squash is tender, outsides are soft and able to begin to squish in a bit. Take a fork and scrape inside of squash from side ot side creating strands, stop every so often and scoop your spaghetti out into a bowl. Serve with sauce and enjoy. Leftovers can be refrigerated for 3-4 days or I suppose you can try to freeze - I haven't tried that yet. Enjoy!!

Last edited by Karen1234; 09-15-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Karen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen1234 View Post
I agree, the tomato supplement is horrible!
I posted a recipe for mock spaghetti along time ago on the recipe website... try to look back, you'll probably find it somewhere... I'll see if I can find it as well.

OK, I'm back, I looked, Can't find a post from myself but Namaste posted a great no cook spaghetti sauce recipe back about 4-7 pages(cooking changes the Glycemic Index of the tomatoes and supposedly not allowed on plan) you can try. I usually heat my tomatoes though. To make the spaghetti squash split in half length wise, clean out the loose strands and seeds, cook one at a time in microwave by turning cut side down onto plate and microwaving 8-10 min until squash is tender, outsides are soft and able to begin to squish in a bit. Take a fork and scrape inside of squash from side ot side creating strands, stop every so often and scoop your spaghetti out into a bowl. Serve with sauce and enjoy. Leftovers can be refrigerated for 3-4 days or I suppose you can try to freeze - I haven't tried that yet. Enjoy!!
Thx for posting! I made the spag squash and I've always liked it.....it's just the "topping" I'm trying to overcome! LOL!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/160

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Hey, there---
I'm not a fan of the tomato supplement, either, so I developed kind of a twist on the mock spaghetti -- it's almost a mock tetrazini.

Use the same recipe, but substitute the creamy chicken & vegetable supplement for the tomato supplement. After you've removed the squash from the rind, mix 4 oz with the sauce mix. If you're preparing this for dinner, sprinkle some crushed melba toast or rounds over the top. If it's for lunch, top with some grated cheese. Bake it at 400 degrees until it's bubbly and golden brown.
Phat not Fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat not Fat View Post
I'm not a fan of the tomato supplement, either, so I developed kind of a twist on the mock spaghetti -- it's almost a mock tetrazini.

Use the same recipe, but substitute the creamy chicken & vegetable supplement for the tomato supplement. After you've removed the squash from the rind, mix 4 oz with the sauce mix. If you're preparing this for dinner, sprinkle some crushed melba toast or rounds over the top. If it's for lunch, top with some grated cheese. Bake it at 400 degrees until it's bubbly and golden brown.
Ohhh.... that sounds sooooo good... I love Turkey/chicken Tetrazini!! Gotta try this one, thanks for the tip!
Karen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/160

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Ohhh.... that sounds sooooo good... I love Turkey/chicken Tetrazini!! Gotta try this one, thanks for the tip!
Glad I could help, Karen. Goodness, I've taken quite a few recipe suggestions from you. It's only fair I return the favor every now and then!

-- JJ
Phat not Fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #11  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/196/155

Height: 5'8"

one of y'all is going to have to show my inept self how to make spaghetti from spaghetti squash.

i am useless in the kitchen, hehe
leahruthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:27 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat not Fat View Post

GENIUS!!! How wonderful.....I LOVE tetrazzini! I also really like the creamy chkn supp, too! Yea! Now I know what to do with the vat of spag squash still in my fridge!
Old 09-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 193.0/185.0/140.0

Height: 5'1

Well I guess I am the odd man(woman) out here! <G> I love the creamy tomato soup! That and the cream of chicken are really good.. I usually put a little tabasco in it to kick it up a bit..

Cheers!
Ronnie
RonnieAdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:15 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 256/217.5/150

Height: 5' 2"

So is chili about the only thing that is good with the tomato HNS?
Fifties Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:56 PM   #15  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 225/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Hey, there---
My sister makes her own salsa with tomato, serrano pepper, garlic and cilantro. Then she shreds chicken and mixes it with the salsa, puts it on top of the spaghetti squash, then tops it with a little melted cheese.

I haven't tried it, but she loves it.

Last edited by learning2Bhealthy; 09-15-2009 at 11:58 PM.
learning2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote