Old 08-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #1  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/196/155

Height: 5'8"

Default lunchmeat?

i know lunchmeat has sodium in it, but if i drink a lot of water to compensate, is it an OK lunch option? are there any brands that have low-sodium options? just trying to expand my options.... tuna is starting to grate and i can't afford chicken every day.
leahruthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Check your deli counter... they usually have a lower sodium meat. You might be able to find some lower sodium ham or turkey in the prepackaged section, but be wary... something I've picked up on is that this program steers you away from processed foods and stuff with a lot of preservatives. The things you see in those pretty plastic packages have preservatives in them to keep the fresh on the shelves longer. So if it's lunch meat you want, you're probably better having the deli slice it up for you.

What you CAN do, is go to the frozen section, and get some of those bags of frozen chicken breast. I think I paid 6.99 for a 24 oz bag at walmart? It's already grilled and sliced up, all you have to do is heat it up. There's either less, or no preservatives because it's cooked and flash frozen. I heat that up and put it on salad or with veggies for a quick and filling lunch. I'm not sure on the steak, you might want to read the label before buying...

Happy OP Eating!
Carla B.
cmb9697 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #3  
Lynn

S/C/G: 216/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Ditto what Carla said. My center says it's 'ok' to use twice a week, but try and use the reduced sodium kind. I've found it at a local grocery store chain (Marsh) but I believe the brand was Jenni-O or Sara Lee. It's nice to have that as an option instead of having to cook something.
noahsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #4  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/196/155

Height: 5'8"

thanks for the input i'll definitely check out the deli next time i'm at the store.

in the meantime, if i made the mistake of buying the non-low-sodium deli meat, do you think it's OK to eat just this once? it wasn't until i was packing up my lunch today that i noticed the packaging (with the sodium info), not while i was at the grocery store, so i'm stuck with what i have until i can get to the store again.
leahruthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 166/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I think Boars Head deli meats have little to no preservatives and fillers. I actually thought about checking that out myself, when I want some quick turkey or something.
funshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/159/130

Height: 5'2

My center said to only use Boar's Head Low Sodium meats because it doesn't have the preservatives!
loveamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #7  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

And Boar's Head Products are REALLY GOOD!
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #8  

i need to check but i was basically told at class that fresh is better. so i am wondering if buying a turkey breast and cooking it in the oven at home would be a better alternative to whats pre packaged?

you can also get the chicken in a can instead of tuna.
Biloxibound is offline   Reply With Quote