3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Metabolic Research Center (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/metabolic-research-center-228/)
-   -   totally embarrassing question (tmi warning) (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/metabolic-research-center/179150-totally-embarrassing-question-tmi-warning.html)

leahruthie 08-14-2009 12:22 PM

totally embarrassing question (tmi warning)

feel free to disregard this post if you're easily affected by oversharing, but i was just wondering if anyone else had any issues with your, um, digestional tract? some "backside effects," if you will? i feel like my poo cycle is all kinds of out of whack, from going a few days without pooing to having episodes of diarrhea, and it's quite unpleasant. am i just delicate, or does someone else share my issues? :o

healthyliving 08-14-2009 01:17 PM

I use to have severe constipation last time I started my diet. I went through my diet plan and found that it is missing right amount of fiber. Its is recommended that you take atleast 25 gm of fiber everyday. Try to track the fiber intake and see how it helps. I have chronic constipation problem so I do need to take atleast 30-35 gm of fiber everyday.
May be you can start with 25 gm of fiber and adjust as you go along. Fiber one have some amazing products that can help you achieve your fiber goal. Also drink lot of water after having this much fiber.

noahsmama 08-14-2009 01:43 PM

I consider myself lucky in the fact that I've never (knocking on wood) had any major constipation issues. In fact, I'm very regular on this plan. If I were you, I'd check with your center and just ask to make sure things are okay in their eyes. I've heard from people on here that they take the Fiberfill 'stuff' and others take the internal cleanser, but I don't recall their issue. Good luck!

leahruthie 08-14-2009 02:03 PM

so far, constipation hasn't been as vexing as diarrhea has been, ughhh. but i will definitely keep the fiber in mind.

Karen1234 08-14-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leahruthie (Post 2875149)
feel free to disregard this post if you're easily affected by oversharing, but i was just wondering if anyone else had any issues with your, um, digestional tract? some "backside effects," if you will? i feel like my poo cycle is all kinds of out of whack, from going a few days without pooing to having episodes of diarrhea, and it's quite unpleasant. am i just delicate, or does someone else share my issues? :o

Don't worry, we have certainly had this q before, many of us suffer with this including myself. If this is a relatively new problem that seems to have started with this diet then I have some suggestions for you. Try this and if that doesn't resolve it see your MD.

1. Be sure you're getting enough H20, at minimum 64 oz per day, preferably 96-120.
2. Increase Flax to 9 per day.
3. Decrease cheese intake (it constipates).
4. Add Fiber through Fiberfill drinks or Use benefiber over the counter
fiber supplement. Start with 2 tsp in am, then go up to three times a day.
It does have some cals but so does any fiber supp. including fiberfill drinks
from MRC. Benefiber is ok on plan, I asked my consultant. It bulks the
stool which is part of the problem, you're eating less, absorbing more and
virtually no fat to keep stool soft so it is hard to go w/o the extra fiber.
Also, it is ompletely tasteless, odorless, dissolves in absolutely anything.
5. If that doesn't work add Miralax over the counter... again it is
ok on plan, it brings water into your bowels to make the stool softer
and is not absorbed into the GI tract so you will not gain from this.
6. If all else fails, you can resort to a real laxative like senokot tablets or
senna tea. Both are natural, plant derived stimulant laxatives. They
work but shouldn't be used on a "regular basis" as in daily. I would refrain
from using it more than twice a week, it can make you dependant on
using a laxative to have a BM and it can at times be harsh. If I use this
I will use 2 senokot tablets or drink 1 cup of the senna "dieter's tea" found
in the health food store or other pharmacy areas.

Good Luck!!

juliastl27 08-14-2009 06:39 PM

im having the same problem that you are, weeks where constipation is a huge problem, i tend to lose less. id also like to get more regular!

kiahna23 08-14-2009 06:49 PM

I have the same problem! I fix it by alternating days with "regular" food and all fruits, water, and veggies....and 2 fiber one bars! Some may argue that it isnt healthy but watev...Its not killing me and I have 90/60bp (which is athletic) and no anemia anymore and clear skin! Its strange but it works...I havent pooped today yet...but I hope to soon...I can feel it...I drink about 6 bottles of water...I am going to go to get a colonoscopy and a colon cleanse...I think there is a name for it...lol...I need to be sure I dont have IBS with constipation...But even if I do I wouldnt take any meds...I think america makes meds just to make money...

I wouldnt recommend any pills for constipation they make your body to where you will NEED them and dont help you with a solution that is over time....Im a nursing student so Im NOT just saying this to say it...We just learned about the digestive tract...My alternating from vegan to healthy eating has helped me and my abs are almost gone! Fiber bars help me ALOT.....

funshine 08-15-2009 10:19 AM

Since this is a thread for embarrassing questions I hope you don't mind if I ask one...Does your "monthly friend" effect your weight on the scale? You know how you always feel bloated during. I have my first WI on Tues and guess who just came for a visit!

souvenirdarling 08-15-2009 11:31 AM

Maybe you should see your doctor about the diarrhea? I don't think that constipation usually concludes with it. Maybe you're having an allergic reaction?

I'm under the impression that starches, like rice, also constipate. My family uses a fair bit of metamucil. They have a non-flavoured kind.

ernurse 08-15-2009 11:39 AM

Thank you for bringing this up. To some it may be a taboo topic, but thank you anyway. When I do well with WW points I seem to go every day but very small compared to when I eat alot. Duh! But anyway, my advice is eat fiber and drink lots of water. I like the earlier response that tells you exactly how much fiber and water per day. When we eat less, at least in my case, the digestive system tends to slow down...fiber helps to keep stools soft not too loose...water keeps you from being constipated...too much of a good thing will get me in trouble, such as ww 1 point fudge bars....lots and lots of gas, and loose stools.....Too much of anything is not a good thing. hugs...

Dolly 08-17-2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ernurse (Post 2876586)
Thank you for bringing this up. To some it may be a taboo topic, but thank you anyway. When I do well with WW points I seem to go every day but very small compared to when I eat alot. Duh! But anyway, my advice is eat fiber and drink lots of water. I like the earlier response that tells you exactly how much fiber and water per day. When we eat less, at least in my case, the digestive system tends to slow down...fiber helps to keep stools soft not too loose...water keeps you from being constipated...too much of a good thing will get me in trouble, such as ww 1 point fudge bars....lots and lots of gas, and loose stools.....Too much of anything is not a good thing. hugs...

I have IBS and so I don't take the Flax seeds and have to take a couple of Immodium a few times a weeks. I actually have gone from using the bathroom five to six times a day to every other day.

I will, however, be happy when the side effect of the chlorophyll in my pills isn't so apparent. As Kermit says, "It isn't easy being green."

noahsmama 08-17-2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by little edie (Post 2879361)
I have IBS and so I don't take the Flax seeds and have to take a couple of Immodium a few times a weeks. I actually have gone from using the bathroom five to six times a day to every other day.

I will, however, be happy when the side effect of the chlorophyll in my pills isn't so apparent. As Kermit says, "It isn't easy being green."

You are SO right. I've wondered why it's always green :)

leahruthie 08-18-2009 09:57 AM

well since we're all friends now, i'm going to veer even farther into TMI territory.

preface: i've been on birth control for a good four years now (i am on Yaz to help with The Crazy). that said, i can usually predict within 12 hours of when my period will start (usually friday night or saturday morning during my gym class, ugh).

the problem: my period started yesterday instead of this friday. is it being affected by my drastic change in diet? and if so, why? shouldn't being on the pill override any irregularities? has anyone else experienced anything similar?

quite fortuitously, i have an appointment at my lady doctor's office on thursday next week to have some bloodwork done (i had high-ish cholesterol at my last yearly in january), so i suppose i can try to ask about it then. but i just thought i'd try to get some reassurance here first that my body isn't falling apart.

E4FEwife 08-18-2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funshine (Post 2876496)
Since this is a thread for embarrassing questions I hope you don't mind if I ask one...Does your "monthly friend" effect your weight on the scale? You know how you always feel bloated during. I have my first WI on Tues and guess who just came for a visit!

For a lot of people the weight loss will be less than usual but usually shortly after you are done with your cycle you will drop a couple of pounds quickly.

lmickley 08-18-2009 06:37 PM

I find that for constipatio the cleanser does not really help but drinking the 3 fiberfills per day really help. Plus my counselor said drinking those can help burn up to 250 cals per day-I don't know how though.