Old 07-24-2009, 02:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 193/143/145

Height: 5' 5"

Default Ah-Ha moments - Do you have one?

I have several reasons for going to MRC and taking my life back....As I was waiting to weigh in this morning, I was just thinking about my journey so far. I've decided that 'ah-ha' moments can be good and then they can sometimes sting a bit, but these were on my mind, so I thought I'd share.

I have known for about a year now that my weight was getting out of control and I was always going to do something about it - tomorrow. I'd say "I wish getting thin was as fun as getting big was" because of my love of all things sweet. The clothes I bought kept getting bigger, I'd buy more accessories instead of clothes because clothes didn't fit. I'd started a new job and as a result had an opportunity to be a guest speaker at a local elementary school in the kindergarten class. At the end of the class, a beautiful little 5 year old girl raised her hand and said she had a question....ENTER AH-HA Moment #1...She said "You look fat today, are you pregnant?" After I confirmed that, 'no' I wasn't pregnant (and hadn't been for almost 9 years)...I went home like a sad pup. (If you want to know what I really said in my mind....I'd be happy to share!!!) LOL!

Ah-Ha moment #2 - Significant Birthday
Ah-Ha moment #3 - my sister giving me clothes that she wore while she was pregnant because they didn't fit her any more but they fit me

That's when I drew the line....Now my Ah-Ha moments are a bit different...
I've had a client tell me I'm wasting away, I can wear a pair of jeans I haven't worn in at least 3 years, I am running a 5k tomorrow, I officially weigh less than my drivers license says I do, I am 1/2 way to my weight loss goal, I feel better than I have in years, I have energy...sometimes more than I know what to do with.

MRC has helped me in so many ways. Of course, I've had a cheat or 2 along the way! Last week my husband had a large cookie from the Cookie Company, so I took a bite. All I could taste was grease and oil, it wasn't good like I remember a cookie being. So now I guess I'm forced to eat my words...It is fun getting thin...maybe even more fun than getting big was!

Thanks for listening!
lookinfine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Unhealthy/see ticker/happy

Height: 5ft 9in

I love you moments I just had an ah-ha moment the other day which I hope brings me to want to smart an up.
My 63 yr old mother brought me some of her clothes she had in the past and there are plus sizes. I was so embarrassed and saddened. I was totally ashamed of my self and couldn't even look at her when she gave them to me. She never said a word and then later on we went to the mall with kids and she explained to me that this plus size store we were walking by has nice stuff. Well, I don't want to shop there but I am so close.
Ah HAHA HA HA HA !!!
scrappinRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:24 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/185/140

Height: 5ft 2 in

Wow...ScrappinRN, you sound like me. My mom was cleaning out her clothes and thought some might fit me. I was sad at first that they fit then I would look like my mom. I am only 35 and don't want to look older than I am. So that is what caused my Ah-Ha moment for me. both my parents have very bad health problems and I know that most of them are caused by weight so I don't want to end up like them. I know there will be ups and downs but the best thing to think about is what example I am setting for my little ones.
blissfulmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 194/151.5/135

Height: 5'4"

This is fairly timely because I had an Ah-ha moment last night and I've been mulling it over all day. My husband and I went to a movie. First time I've ever walked by the concession stand. As we're sitting in the theater, I'm watching and drooling over all the giant buckets of popcorn walking in. Finally, I realized they were attached to people carrying them and I began to notice a trend. Every single giant bucket of popcorn that walked through that door, was being carried by someone my size and larger. They came in limping, hobbling, with canes, holding someone's arm, etc. I couldn't believe it! I saw one couple, in good health. Guess what they had... a small popcorn and pop to share! Wow! How many times have I been the one lugging my giant sized bucket of grease to sit in my seat, only to finish it quickly, followed by a giant pop? It clicked, I don't want to be her anymore. The good thing, for the first time, I saw a whole movie. I didn't get up to use the restroom once.
3ducksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #5  
Started Precon 6/29/11

S/C/G: 227/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

I like this thread-- good idea.

My big aha moment came about a year ago when got back the pictures from my brother-in-law's wedding. I wasn't in the wedding, but my husband was the best man, so I was there all day for the pictures. His fiancee is a cute teeny little thing, and we had to do a large family picture, and the photographer took a couple of DH and I as well...getting those pictures back was a slap in the face. I truly had no idea I looked like that. It's crazy how we can lie to ourselves even as we look in the mirror.

I had already been talking about MRC with my mom, and I told my MIL that night (she has weight issues, too) that I was going to start and that this was going to be it, etc. I could tell she didn't believe me, but I guess I've proven her wrong-- I've lost around 65 lbs., and although I've been gaining/losing/gaining/losing for a while now, this is the longest I've ever stuck with diet and exercise.

The good aha moments come when random people comment on weight I've lost-- the most recent one was a store owner in my hometown, and I only go in maybe twice a year. As soon as I walked in the door, he said I was looking great and had lost so much weight, etc. He doesn't even know my name. That just showed me how much people noticed my weight before who I never would have thought paid attention. It was kind of sad, really, but good motivation to never let myself get back there.

Also, my husband looks at me now-- really looks, and I can tell he likes what he sees. He was always sweet and supportive before, but now I can see how he feels, and I really believe it.
tkdtara84 is offline   Reply With Quote