Old 07-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 171/160.8/130

Height: 5'2

Default Advice Needed. HNS Substitute and Flax Oil

Hey there!
I have decided to do the program on my own instead of going to MRC. I have all of the menus but its been a really long time since I did it. I bought some flax seed, the pills are 1000 mg each. I remember taking like 9 flax pills a day on MRC but 9000mg seems a bit much. Can you tell me how many mg a day I am supposed to be taking?

I have tried to find a substitute for the HNSs. I went to my local Vitamin Shoppe and found what is called Nectar. The huge bucket costs $35. The protien comes from whey isolate which (by the vitamin shoppe boy) is supposed to be more easily absorbed into the body. I got the Roadside Lemonade flavor, it's not a "milky" drink. It tastes a lot like the HNSs from what I remember. I am only going to be doing 1/2 of a scoop and am going to put the nutritional info on here. Can you tell me if there are any major differences between what I bought and the HNSs. Thanks!

Nectar Whey Protein Isolate: Roadside Lemonaide 1/2 of a scoop
Calories: 60
Calories from fat: 0
Sat Fat: 0 (almost typed saturated fart. lol!)
Trans Fat: 0
Cholestorol: >4mg
Sodium: 40mg
Potassium: 80mg
Carbs: 0
Fiber: 0
Sugar: 0
Protien: 15g

Thank you so much!

Last edited by asherdwn; 07-07-2009 at 03:11 PM.
asherdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 279.5/195.5/166

Height: 5' 11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherdwn View Post
Hey there!
I have decided to do the program on my own instead of going to MRC. I have all of the menus but its been a really long time since I did it. I bought some flax seed, the pills are 1000 mg each. I remember taking like 9 flax pills a day on MRC but 9000mg seems a bit much. Can you tell me how many mg a day I am supposed to be taking?

I have tried to find a substitute for the HNSs. I went to my local Vitamin Shoppe and found what is called Nectar. The huge bucket costs $35. The protien comes from whey isolate which (by the vitamin shoppe boy) is supposed to be more easily absorbed into the body. I got the Roadside Lemonade flavor, it's not a "milky" drink. It tastes a lot like the HNSs from what I remember. I am only going to be doing a third of a scoop and am going to put the nutritional info on here. Can you tell me if there are any major differences between what I bought and the HNSs. Thanks!

Nectar Whey Protein Isolate: Roadside Lemonaide 1/3 of a scoop
Calories from fat: 0
Sat Fat: 0 (almost typed saturated fart. lol!)
Cholestorol: >4mg
Sodium: 40mg
Potassium: 80mg
Carbs: 0
Fiber: 0
Sugar: 0
Protien: 15g

Thank you so much!
Remembered I had the actual box with me so here it is:
Calories from fat:0
Sat Fat: 0
Cholesterol 10 mg
Sodium: 10 mg
Potassium: 80 mg
Total Carbs: 3g
Dietary Fiber: 0
Sugars: 0
Protein: 15

ingredients Hydrolyzed gelatin, whey protein concentrate (derived from milk) citric acid blash blah about flavors potassium citrate, aspartame (non-nutritive sweetener) silicon dioxide, soy lethicin

How many servings can you get from the 'bucket'?

Sorry I can't help on the flax--I take 2 tsp of the oil.
msim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #3  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

The center has me on 9000 mg/day--so 9 of them, 3 at each meal
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #4  

MSIM:

Wow! Looks like I got a really good deal.
The container says there are 36 servings which is 36 full scoops. I am only doing a half a scoop five times a day which equals out to the same amount of protien in four HNS... maybe a tad more. So I get what equals to 72 HSNs for $35. Thats good right? AND the Nectar has NO aspertame. My mom is severly allergic to that stuff.
So I am taking two and half scoops a day, which I think comes out to 14 and half days? Thats maxing out of the HNS for the day... you could take it down to two or three and make it last a whole month. So it will cost me $75 a month. Getting it from MRC it would cost me $55 a week right? For four a day? Im not too great with math. lol.
The only thing is that Nectar has 30 more mgs of Sodium.

MKROYER:

That's a lot of flax seed! Oh well. I remembered it being a lot. Do you know what its for? I know its good for heart health bc of the omegas.

Thank you both SO much!

Last edited by asherdwn; 07-07-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 279.5/195.5/166

Height: 5' 11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherdwn View Post
MSIM:

Wow! Looks like I got a really good deal.
The container says there are 36 servings which is 36 full scoops. I am only doing a half a scoop five times a day which equals out to the same amount of protien in four HNS... maybe a tad more. So I get what equals to 72 HSNs for $35. Thats good right? AND the Nectar has NO aspertame. My mom is severly allergic to that stuff.
So I am taking two and half scoops a day, which I think comes out to 14 and half days? Thats maxing out of the HNS for the day... you could take it down to two or three and make it last a whole month. So it will cost me $75 a month. Getting it from MRC it would cost me $55 a week right? For four a day? Im not too great with math. lol.
The only thing is that Nectar has 30 more mgs of Sodium.

MKROYER:

That's a lot of flax seed! Oh well. I remembered it being a lot. Do you know what its for? I know its good for heart health bc of the omegas.

Thank you both SO much!
There is a vitamin shoppe about 50 miles from me, so I appreciate the tip asherdwn! I should be over that direction sometime this month. Most of the centers are running specials now 5 for $50 or 10 for $90, but your Nectar is definitely a good price. Sodium isn't that much so I would be good with it.... more important how does it taste?
msim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by msim View Post
There is a vitamin shoppe about 50 miles from me, so I appreciate the tip asherdwn! I should be over that direction sometime this month. Most of the centers are running specials now 5 for $50 or 10 for $90, but your Nectar is definitely a good price. Sodium isn't that much so I would be good with it.... more important how does it taste?
My only experience with the MRC HNS was the powdered one. So in comparison, It tastes like what it says. It really tastes like lemonade. Its the only flavor ive tried. It mixes A LOT better than MRC HNS. The only thing is that it kinda smells like a "milkyish" supplement but has none of flavor or consitency of a milk based product. From what I remember the MRC HNS had a funny smell as well. lol.
They have a lot of other flavors... and I even saw a "tasteless" one online. Its cheaper online as well.
I think the official product name is Syntrax Nectar Whey Protien Isolate.