Old 01-06-2009, 08:55 PM   #61  
This is the Last Time!

S/C/G: 172/*ticker*/115

Height: 5'2"

Hey girls..sorry for the absence. Just getting back in touch with my inner self!

I ran last night. Day 1 of week 6. It was run 5, walk 3, run 8, walk 3, run 5. Next day is two 10 minutes runs and the 3rd day is OMG....25 minutes of running. I seriously don't know if I can do it.

I'll check back in tomorrow AM. Have to get a good night's sleep.
Rocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #62  
Gina

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocki View Post
Hey girls..sorry for the absence. Just getting back in touch with my inner self!

I ran last night. Day 1 of week 6. It was run 5, walk 3, run 8, walk 3, run 5. Next day is two 10 minutes runs and the 3rd day is OMG....25 minutes of running. I seriously don't know if I can do it.

I'll check back in tomorrow AM. Have to get a good night's sleep.
Ok ladies, I haven't started yet I meant to start on Monday then today got away from me too. I'm going to get up early tomorrow (my day off) and hit it early. I'm feeling a little silly. I have seriousely never used a treadmill & don't quite know what to do. I feel like I need a buddy system. Anyone work out at the Offutt field house??? I did just get 3 DVD's in the mail from Prevention "slim, strong & firm" "dance yourself thinn" & fight cellulite fast". I started thinking I'd like to try these instead and table the running for awhile since they're on a 14 day trial. Then I got real with myself and realized it's just because I'm afraid of the treadmill. Time to "woman up" tomorrow morning and just do it!!

Last edited by ShineOn; 01-06-2009 at 09:13 PM.
ShineOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #63  
dla
Denise

S/C/G: 321/ticker/175

Height: 5'-10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineOn View Post
Ok ladies, I haven't started yet I meant to start on Monday then today got away from me too. I'm going to get up early tomorrow (my day off) and hit it early. I'm feeling a little silly. I have seriousely never used a treadmill & don't quite know what to do. I feel like I need a buddy system. Anyone work out at the Offutt field house??? I did just get 3 DVD's in the mail from Prevention "slim, strong & firm" "dance yourself thinn" & fight cellulite fast". I started thinking I'd like to try these instead and table the running for awhile since they're on a 14 day trial. Then I got real with myself and realized it's just because I'm afraid of the treadmill. Time to "woman up" tomorrow morning and just do it!!
You can do this! The treadmill isn't too tough, but I would probably start off your first workout on one just walking and getting used to the feel. If they have a number of types of treadmills try them all. I find that I like some a lot better than others. I particularly like the ones that don't have long "handles". For some reason I always it my hands on those if they are too long. Maybe I just flail my arms around a lot when I run!!
dla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #64  
This is the Last Time!

S/C/G: 172/*ticker*/115

Height: 5'2"

Hello again.

Gina..You can do this. I find that running outside is much harder for me. I tried to run outside a bit and I was so winded right away (I mean running like a couple hundred yards, if that). I think the treadmill gives you a boost b/c it's already running for you. If that makes any sense at all. I don't think you have to work as hard to move as far. That's probably way off, but it's how I feel.

Good luck everyone. I'm going to TRY and get my 2, 10 minute runs in today but I'm kind of rushed between my daughters appointments today. We have one @ 3pm and then dance @ 5pm and I was hoping to squeeze the gym in exactly @ 4pm, but I don't know if we'll make it. If not I might try to go late tonight. I'll just have to see.
Rocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #65  
Gina

Default I did it!

I about fell off the machine at first, but I conquered the treadmill & did day 1 of week 1!!! I tried to use the manual setting first at 4mph & just about fell off I was at our base gym so there were a lot of seasoned runner around me - I just laughed and tried again. I found a quick start button - 2mph for walking, 4 mph for jogging (no wonder I almost fell off the back), and 6 mph for running. The first cycle I did the recommended amounts but it was way too slow. And, I've been working out on my ecliptic pretty regularly so I'm in decent shape. I ended up hitting my stride @ a 3.5 mph walk and 6 mph run. I felt exlirated when I was done! I think I run much faster on the tread mill and I love seeing the speed, time and distance on the display. I think I'm officially hooked!! I'm going to run on M-W-F and I can hardly wait for Friday. Thanks for starting this thread Rocki!! This will be key to helping us keep our weight off!!
Old 01-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #66  
Gina

Default I did it!

I about fell off the machine at first, but I conquered the treadmill & did day 1 of week 1!!! I tried to use the manual setting first at 4mph & just about fell off the back I was at our base gym so there were a lot of seasoned runner around me - I just laughed and tried again. I found a quick start button - 2mph for walking, 4 mph for jogging (no wonder I almost fell off the back), and 6 mph for running. The first cycle I did the recommended amounts but it was way too slow. And, I've been working out on my ecliptic pretty regularly so I'm in decent shape. I ended up hitting my stride @ a 3.5 mph walk and 6 mph run. I felt exlirated when I was done! I think I run much faster on the tread mill and I love seeing the speed, time and distance on the display. I think I'm officially hooked!! I'm going to run on M-W-F and I can hardly wait for Friday. Thanks for starting this thread Rocki!! This will be key to helping us keep our weight off!!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
I about fell off the machine at first, but I conquered the treadmill & did day 1 of week 1!!! I tried to use the manual setting first at 4mph & just about fell off I was at our base gym so there were a lot of seasoned runner around me - I just laughed and tried again. I found a quick start button - 2mph for walking, 4 mph for jogging (no wonder I almost fell off the back), and 6 mph for running. The first cycle I did the recommended amounts but it was way too slow. And, I've been working out on my ecliptic pretty regularly so I'm in decent shape. I ended up hitting my stride @ a 3.5 mph walk and 6 mph run. I felt exlirated when I was done! I think I run much faster on the tread mill and I love seeing the speed, time and distance on the display. I think I'm officially hooked!! I'm going to run on M-W-F and I can hardly wait for Friday. Thanks for starting this thread Rocki!! This will be key to helping us keep our weight off!!
LOL, Gina I'm glad you weren't injured by a rogue treadmill! That's GREAT that you are hooked--it's kinda fun in a demented way, isn't it? I also do MWF. Your speeds are great--you're going to breeze through the first few weeks.

I did week 5 day 2 today and was able to complete the 8 minute running sets The first set wasn't too bad but the second 8 minutes about kicked my butt. I tried visualizing myself as a lean, fit runner with an effortless stride. Helped a little Friday's 20 minute run will be a huge test but I'm going to give it my best shot.
WooPigSooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 238.5/155.5/160

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Woohooo, Gina!! I run on M-W-F also. I think I'm hooked too. It's a much healthier addiction than M&M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooPigSooie View Post
LOL, Gina I'm glad you weren't injured by a rogue treadmill! That's GREAT that you are hooked--it's kinda fun in a demented way, isn't it? I also do MWF. Your speeds are great--you're going to breeze through the first few weeks.

I did week 5 day 2 today and was able to complete the 8 minute running sets The first set wasn't too bad but the second 8 minutes about kicked my butt. I tried visualizing myself as a lean, fit runner with an effortless stride. Helped a little Friday's 20 minute run will be a huge test but I'm going to give it my best shot.
You're doing so great! I can't wait to be that far! I have to hold myself back from doing too much. I did Week 3 Day 2 today and felt really good. It was hard enough where it was a challenge but I was still singing at different times so it wasn't too hard The second set is always the hardest, that's for sure!
KeepinOnandOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:12 PM   #69  
Carrie

S/C/G: 194/163/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I about fell off the machine at first, but I conquered the treadmill & did day 1 of week 1!!! I tried to use the manual setting first at 4mph & just about fell off the back I was at our base gym so there were a lot of seasoned runner around me - I just laughed and tried again. I found a quick start button - 2mph for walking, 4 mph for jogging (no wonder I almost fell off the back), and 6 mph for running. The first cycle I did the recommended amounts but it was way too slow. And, I've been working out on my ecliptic pretty regularly so I'm in decent shape. I ended up hitting my stride @ a 3.5 mph walk and 6 mph run. I felt exlirated when I was done! I think I run much faster on the tread mill and I love seeing the speed, time and distance on the display. I think I'm officially hooked!! I'm going to run on M-W-F and I can hardly wait for Friday. Thanks for starting this thread Rocki!! This will be key to helping us keep our weight off!!
OMG Gina...I'm laughing so hard...and I promise not "at you"...we've been up and down the Calif. coast with friends and family...and are now here at my MIL's in Palm Springs... and what do I see?...a 90 year old kicking a-- on her treadmil. I thought my DH was going to have a heart attack. (Remember, we thought we going to lose her a while back) So...for being MIA...due to no computer...and now being called to a movie...I just have to say...YOU GO GIRL!!! If my MIL can do it...we can ALL DO IT!!! Love you all...be back soon!! xoxoCarrie
maintainforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:30 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 266/ticker/150

Quote:
Too funny, Gina...but Im glad you werent hurt (or too embarassed---you did get back on!!!)
BonnieMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:01 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 247/211/163

Default Trouble starting

Hi ladies! I am having trouble starting the C25k. I have never liked to run. I want to do it in my heart, but I am scared. My dad was encouraging me NOT to do it since I have some knee pain and he had to have total knee replacement on both knees in September and December 2008. I walk 3 miles in an hour 3 times a week. I T-Tapp 3 days a week and do free weights 3 times a week. Is that enough for me or should I be running? Maybe I should wait until there isn't as much weight on my joints before I start? Any suggestions?
michellemybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #72  
Gina

Thanks ya'll - glad I could provide the morning laughs!! It was a good belly laugh for me too!! WooPigSooie, you are rockin!! The full out run for 60 seconds got my heart rate up, I can hardly wait for the 8 minute!! KeepinOnandOn, did you jump ahead on the schedule???? I thought we were starting at the same time! I know I could jump ahead on the schedule because I'm not in that bad of shape but I read on one of the C25K websites that you need to start slow to give your bones times to build as well as your muscles. I never thought of it that way before. I was running 2 1/2 miles right away before the holidays but I was getting a lot of hip and knee pain. I'm going to take it slow and keep with the program. Hopefully, my body will cooperate a little better this time because I absolutely love that runners high I got in the fall!! Carrie - your 90 year old MIL? Oh my goodness, she is now my visual roll model!! How cool is that! michellemybelle, you are exactly the reason people have disclaimers to check with your doctor before starting a new exercise program. With your history, I wouldn't play around with running until you talk to your physician. I would hate to hear of you doing permanent damage to knees you've already had surgery on. The Dr might tell you to wait until more weight comes off or they might give you a physical therapy schedule to help build your muscles before you start the running. I would definately check first. Just because you've had surgery doesn't mean you'll never be a runner, you just have to make sure you don't damage your body in the process. Good luck and let us know.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 266/ticker/150

week 1 day 2 done! I bumped up the speed (not by much) to walk at 3.0 and "run" at 4.0! Felt like a good speed for me for starting.
BonnieMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 247/211/163

Quote:
Thanks ya'll - glad I could provide the morning laughs!! It was a good belly laugh for me too!! WooPigSooie, you are rockin!! The full out run for 60 seconds got my heart rate up, I can hardly wait for the 8 minute!! KeepinOnandOn, did you jump ahead on the schedule???? I thought we were starting at the same time! I know I could jump ahead on the schedule because I'm not in that bad of shape but I read on one of the C25K websites that you need to start slow to give your bones times to build as well as your muscles. I never thought of it that way before. I was running 2 1/2 miles right away before the holidays but I was getting a lot of hip and knee pain. I'm going to take it slow and keep with the program. Hopefully, my body will cooperate a little better this time because I absolutely love that runners high I got in the fall!! Carrie - your 90 year old MIL? Oh my goodness, she is now my visual roll model!! How cool is that! michellemybelle, you are exactly the reason people have disclaimers to check with your doctor before starting a new exercise program. With your history, I wouldn't play around with running until you talk to your physician. I would hate to hear of you doing permanent damage to knees you've already had surgery on. The Dr might tell you to wait until more weight comes off or they might give you a physical therapy schedule to help build your muscles before you start the running. I would definately check first. Just because you've had surgery doesn't mean you'll never be a runner, you just have to make sure you don't damage your body in the process. Good luck and let us know.

Hi Gina, thanks for the reply. It wasn't me that had surgery, it was my dad. Good idea about asking the doc though. Thanks!
michellemybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 238.5/155.5/160

Quote:
KeepinOnandOn, did you jump ahead on the schedule???? I thought we were starting at the same time! I know I could jump ahead on the schedule because I'm not in that bad of shape but I read on one of the C25K websites that you need to start slow to give your bones times to build as well as your muscles. I never thought of it that way before. I was running 2 1/2 miles right away before the holidays but I was getting a lot of hip and knee pain. I'm going to take it slow and keep with the program. Hopefully, my body will cooperate a little better this time because I absolutely love that runners high I got in the fall!!

Yep, I jumped ahead. I was doing a pretty good workout on the treadmill before I started so it just felt too easy to do weeks 1 & 2. I'm also really slowing down on my weight loss so I wanted to bump up the exercise quite a bit to try and speed things up. I'm not going to even get close to my goal by the end of my contract (Feb. 27) at this rate. Not sure if it has helped yet but I haven't even been sore at all so I don't think my muscles & bones weren't ready. I figured I could always repeat weeks 3 or 4 or both if I needed to and still be at about the same time schedule as everyone else. I'll do week 3 day 3 tomorrow.

Have a great run tomorrow!
KeepinOnandOn is offline   Reply With Quote