Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #136  
Melissa

S/C/G: 208.8/164.8/135 - 44.0lbs down

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2LiveLife View Post
Good Evening ladies (and gentleman)

Just wanted to check-in and say hi to everyone. I haven't been on in a few good long days and wanted to catch up. I hope everyone who dropped the ball on Thanksgiving is picking it up and keeping it rolling now. Congrats to those you managed to keep headstrong and made good choices.

I think of the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas as a crunch time. I am trying to lose as much as possible before Christmas Eve. I want to do this b/c I read a post a while ago about a lady wanting to lose 10 lbs instead of gain 10lbs throughout the holiday season like the rest of the obese Americans. I took her up on the challenge and I am going to do the same thing.

If anyone would like to do this with us, please do. There are only a few more weeks until Christmas, but I think it's do able. Or perhaps you could set your goal for New Years. I want to be down 25 by Christmas Eve. It's going to be challenging, but I am going to exercise (gasp) and stay exactly on program. If I don't meet my goals, at least I will have made great strides in WINNING THE LOSING BATTLE!

Warm wishes to all of you! I will check back more often, promise!

Goodnight!

Sure! I will do this with you!
Old 12-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 234/seetracker/170

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clanori View Post
I understand how you feel.This is the week we make Christmas cookie plates for family and friends.It is pure torture.I am trying to take it one day at a time.But keep sabotaging in small ways.I think the gum chewing is a great idea I have tried this before and it really works.The other thing I do is drink a large glass of water before I eat something off plan to see if I still want it.

Talking about cookies. I have to share the wonderful tea i found Its sugar cookie sleigh ride by celestial seasonsings, it tastes like liquid sugar cookies, its so amazing!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 11:20 PM   #138  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 172/see ticker/145

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineOn View Post

Bonnie2! I was actually thinking about you today. I put on 10 lbs over this family crisis and vacation and it's just not coming off - my fault for not following as strick as I should. Every instinct I have wants me to run back to my green menu, but they keep telling me not to do it. They said it will teach my body to yo-yo diet - just keep on week 6 of stabilization and the weight will eventually come off. They haven't been wrong so far, so I will just trust what they say. I'm sure if I do what I'm suppose to, it will come back off - that and increasing the exercise.
Anyway, the reason I was thinking of you was I thought you said you started back on plan. Did they put you back on the green menu, or did you just kick back to the stabilization diet? Just curious. I know my whole life will be a series of checks and balances and I'm ok bouncing around in the 10lb range, but I have to slam on the breaks when I creep over that. I don't want to let the scale control my life, and I know I've come a long way. However, I got to the 100 lbs over weight by a gradual 10 lbs or so per year, so I have to keep myself in check. Just my rambles for the evening. Didn't ya'll miss me
Yes, they asked me if I wanted to go back on the green menu, and originally I did. Lost 1.5 pounds very easily but once you have added all the foods in on stabilization and are on maintenance you sort of learn what works and what doesn't . I found that milk and yogurt causes hunger in my case. As do a lot of carbs. I've been taking a really heavy duty spinning class 2x a week which seems to help now that I'm not riding outside very much.

Ron and I are going away this winter for a month to ski in Colorado. Although I'm going to try to eat healthy I know that the altitude effects your metabolism and last year when we were away there I was perfect on the green menu and only lost 1/2 pound in a week. I read that high altitude inhibits your ability to burn fat. So the MRC diet doesn't work in that instance. You need the carbs but they should be good carbs.

Gina, I don't think those 10 pounds are not from eating 35,000 extra calories. So just work at eating healthy and up the exercise; muscle weighs more and burns fat better. I've noticed my body is looking less flabby around the mid section where I lost a lot of my weight. So maybe things are evening out.

Good to see you back and glad that things worked out well for your dad.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:26 PM   #139  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 172/see ticker/145

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3monkeysmomma View Post
Hi everyone! i am officially past the half way mark!! Woo hoo!! Got another membership at the gym since it is too cold to walk now and my garage is too cold for the bowflex, they showed me the machines I need to use for my target zones. Updated my pic again, it was taken yesterday. And I had to buy more jeans because the others were way too baggy!! I am in 13's now (my top half is bigger than my bottom) So Im beyond excited. I want to lose 20 more pounds by my birthday in Feb. I want to look hotter at 34 than I did at 24 (even if I was pregnant most of 24 lol). Gina glad your dad is doing well!

Happy Holidays!!!
I am wearing size 8 pants/shorts but my tops are larges. They make the sizes larger than in years past but still...
Old 12-03-2008, 11:40 PM   #140  

S/C/G: 217/ticker/170

Hello everybody! Just resurfacing from a long, busy trip home. I didn't make it into my center, so I don't have an update there. Generally speaking, I did not do as well as I should/could have over the holiday, but I do think there was more sanity in the experience this year than in years past. I was also responsible for coming up with two meals a day for my family for four days, and I was pleased with how well everything came together and how graciously everyone accepted what I offered. What I learned from this trip is that I need to exercise greater self-control when I'm with my dad. I'm great at meals, but the snacking is a killer! I don't do that when I'm at school.

A funny update on my grandmother, whom some of you met in a vignette posted on this board earlier in the year: She called me Monday night, took a deep breath, and said very earnestly, "Honey, I hope you aren't trying to lose anymore weight," at which point my 91-year-old grandfather pipes up in the background with, "Tell her I said she lost weight!" Oy! What can you do with that? I reassured her that I am fine and won't get too skinny.

Also, an update on my freaky MRC-related Target dressing room accident from July. Now that I'm swimming in the shorts I bought that day, Target has finally announced that they will reimburse me for my tetanus shot. You called it, Namaste! It just took five months--LOL. I'm looking for a check in the next week.

Anyway...final verdict is that I don't think I gained or lost over the holiday, BUT I returned to school on Monday wearing a very comfortable size 14 pair of jeans (which were tight pre-Thanksgiving), and my boss looked at me, cocked her head, and asked if I had lost weight.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:49 PM   #141  
Gina

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8"

3MM - oh my goodness, it is so good to see you back on the board. I haven't read in so long, that I didn't even attempt to get caught up - just jumped right back in. How long have you been back on plan? It's great to see how good you are doing. CONGRATULATIONS on hitting the 1/2 way point!!

LauraSerendipity - Thanks for the tip on the new tea. I get so cold now that I'm a "Skinny *itch", so I just love the tea. Peppermint is my fav right now - beats the candy! I guzzle 16 - 32 ounces of pure water, then let myself indulge in tea. I always remember 3MM saying you need pure water - you wouldn't wash your dishes in tea - that really stuck with me.

Bonnie 2 - Thanks for the reality check! That makes sense. I'm trying not to let the scale control me - but I did notice the weight hit the mid section really fast. Now that we get to add in more food, I have focused on more intense exercising. I was told that my body would continue to change over the next year. I have a lot of lose skin in the mid section, but it's starting to firm up. I had a 10lb 4 ounce baby (20 years ago!!) so I've always had a ton of stretch marks. The thing that shocked me the most is the stretch marks are smoothing out. It's amazing how far the skin can stretch and then start to recover. I didn't have high hopes at age 43 - I figured a tummy tuck was in my future. The skin in my legs are firming up too. I bet, at the end of the year, I won't even have to do something silly like elective surgery. Besides, the battle scar's keep me humble.

A funny little story to share. I hadn't seen my dad or sister in 5 years (he did not recognize me at all. He doesn't have a computer and I kept telling him I would send photos, but I never "got around to it") My sister lost 115 lbs through Jenny Craig. So, we haven't seen each other in 5 years and we wern't raised together. We've spent maybe 60 days tops together our whole life. Our first day at the hospital (only getting to see our dad 10 minutes every 2 hours and under a lot of stress) we take a bathroom break and we're like too little girls - standing in front of the mirror with our shirts up comparing loose skin in our mid section and laughing. She lost hers about 1 1/2 years ago. She was really jealous because my stomache was firmer than hers - but her upper arms were tigher than mine. That sister bond is strong - I can't imagine comparing my stomache with anyone!! I'm just glad no one walked in!!! A couple days later, my DH took a picture of the two of us hugging - we we're saying to my Dad "Look Dad, the two of us equal 1 of the old us!" My Dad was so proud of the two of us.

Stuck in Grad School - I love your new photo - you look amazing!! I can just picture your Grandmother saying that. Don't worry - I had a lot of people telling me that at size 14. Now they're just used to seeing me at a healthy weight. I would just tell them my Doctor wanted me to lose a little more to getting my belly fat down and into a healthy BMI. That seemed to quiet the fears a little.

I've missed everyone so much - I just get excited to see names I recognize!! I figured I had been gone so long, there would be a complete turn over in people.

Last edited by ShineOn; 12-03-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:06 AM   #142  

Congrats to everyone who lost over the holiday! Namaste-I'm especially excited for you! Breaking through that 200 lb mark was such an important day for me. You've been working so faithfully at this for so long that I know it must feel even better! Congratulations! tvmitche-Hang in there! You are within a stone's throw of busting into ONEDERLAND, too! exsquisit-I'm so bummed that you reached your goal and they won't allow you to stabilize. I thought the threshold for BMI was 25? Did you ever have them run your body comp using the athletic setting? That won't change the BMI, but it might change your body fat % since you have been exercising so much. KeepinOnandOn-Love the new pic! It is such a joy to see your smiling face in both of your photos! dla-50 lbs is right around the corner! You'll be there in no time! And 10 lbs of fat in one month is just amazing! It sounds like you are doing everything right! Is the Phetatrim the Corti-trim? I took that earlier this fall. I didn't have headaches, but I had crazy hot flashes. WooPigSooie-I bet your C25K program is slowing down your weight loss a bit. You are probably building some muscle in your thighs and maybe your core areas, too. When I've been exercising seriously, I generally do better if I max out my beef, and maybe even cheat and have an extra serving. It just seemed like my body needed the extra oomph. I also did well when I was having tilapia for lunch. Having said that, I'm glad you mentioned the C25K program. I'm really thinking about starting that--since I was in high school I have wanted to run a 10K. I know this is a 5K, but you've got to start somewhere! I need a better pair of running shoes first. lve2ski2004-So sorry to hear about the stomach flu. That isn't fun. Do you think the spinning might be slowing down your weight loss...also due to muscle? Meemo touched on this, but I've had some of my best results when I took a a simple walk faithfully every morning. I guess that walk just revs my metabolism up for the whole day, but it actually seemed more effective than a hard-core step routine. I also seem to have a sustained loss the day after a yoga session. ShineOn-I'm so glad you are back! And I'm so glad your dad is doing well! How is your auntie doing? I've missed her! MrsPhibes-Thank you, again, for recommending the nuun for dehydration. I have felt so much better since I've had it available and have been using it. I'm going to check with some of the local bike shops to see if I can get it here in town. 3MonkeysMama-Congrats on making it to your halfway mark! I'm so excited for you! And congrats on joining the gym! I have to tell you that I have laughed and laughed at your post about where you were losing weight. Thanks for sharing!

I'm sure I've missed some folks, but I want to reiterate what namaste and others have said. I am so thankful for this board--for each of you who share so freely. This board has really been key to my success thus far, especially being so far from my center.

Last edited by stuck in grad school; 12-04-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:19 AM   #143  

Quote:
Stuck in Grad School - I love your new photo - you look amazing!! I can just picture your Grandmother saying that. Don't worry - I had a lot of people telling me that at size 14. Now they're just used to seeing me at a healthy weight. I would just tell them my Doctor wanted me to lose a little more to getting my belly fat down and into a healthy BMI. That seemed to quiet the fears a little.
Thanks! I'm down a size from that photo, but it is the most recent of the bunch. That's a great suggestion on how to handle the situation. You called it, though--the belly is where I still need to lose some weight. Honestly, I think I look five months pregnant when I'm naked. This photo isn't the best, but it really doesn't appear to be a problem when I'm wearing my clothes, so I can see why my grandmother would think that I'm already at the perfect weight. Realistically, I think I'm probably going to be good at a 12--I just need to follow the program to that point instead of relying on a low calorie diet, which has been what I've been doing. BTW-What a neat story about comparing battle scars with your sister! I know your dad must have been so proud of both of you!

One more thing--Someone mentioned coping with the silly season when all the food and treats are brought to work. I had this problem yesterday and was probably a little too forceful, but my saboteurs backed off. I flat out told them that I couldn't do pastries and I wasn't going to the holiday mixer down the hall. They protested, and I reiterated that I didn't care if it was a networking mixer...I was not going. I think their feathers were a little ruffled, but they seemed to get over it today. In that situation, though, the food was down the hall. I'm not sure what I'd do if I actually had to be in the same room with it.

Last edited by stuck in grad school; 12-04-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:25 AM   #144  

S/C/G: 188/185/140

Height: 5'6"

Smile MRC repeater, new member,THANKS & question

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for this great forum! I spent the last 2 hours lurking through the threads and learned so much.

I did MRC a few years ago and lost 35 lbs. BUT it took me 3 re-enrollments and probably over $3,000. It was worth it because I learned that I could do it.

I gained back most of the 35 due to regular eatin. Have avoided re-joining MRC for 2 reasons -- cost (obvious), but also I want to learn to lose and maintain using real food (not artificial sweetners, etc.). So have been doing the green page (yes, I saved my stuff except blue menu -- I have cookbook and some of the printed recipes they give you in a binder) have already lost 8 lbs in perhaps 4 weeks just by following the green plan without supplements. And exercising like a mad dog, which I didn't do the first time around. This time hunger situation is much better, maybe because I'm not doing any artificial sweetners? You have to go cold turkey, I've found.

I've actually been taking Hydroxycut and some Trader Joe protein powder, but it does have a bit of fat in it. Burning that 300 cals per day exercising is helping for sure. I'm eating about 1000 cals per day on average.

Now I'm on a plateau and want to lose faster (for Xmas vacation of course). Want to get into that size 10 before leaving, try not to gain too much on our 4 week vacation, and then pick it back up seriously in January.

I look forward to talking with you ladies (mostly ladies, right?) very much. Congratulations to you all!

I LOVE the eggwhite crystal lite suggestion, thanks SO MUCH. That was the answer to my prayer Will try 3-4 times per day, should break plateau.

But am and always concerned about maintenance. THey would NEVER answer my detailed quesitons about maintenance and that really bugged me.

Haven't seen much on these boards about what maintenance is like. How you have to eat? Does it in any way/shape/form resemble normal eatin?

How many calories do you estimate maintenance is? Is it low fat, low carb, high protein, or what? Can you do it without frankenfoods or will you go hungry. I see on here that people consider it harder than green menu. That's pretty tough.

I'm thinking about seeing a nutritionist/dietitian for the long term, but I know MRC gets the weight off fast.

Any input/stories would be really great, thanks so much!

To the moderator, if we get answers perhaps the old "keeping it off" thread could be bumped again if there's much interest.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THIS WONDERFUL GROUP AND RESOURCE!!!
Old 12-04-2008, 01:52 AM   #145  
Em

S/C/G: 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclewis5606 View Post
Help!! I need some advice to get me back on plan. The Thanksgiving Holiday was a very difficult time for me .....it was a week well almost 2 of just utterly caving in on the diet. I somehow only managed to gain .8 lbs, but I am having a very difficult time getting back on plan. Anyone have an easy technique or motivational tool they could share with me?? Thanks!
For me, $$ is a good motivator. Figure up how much you've spent, pull out your contract. Remind yourself you've invested this much time and money already, now it's time to get back on track and make it all worthwhile.

Now this works for me because I'm cheap! My current motivation is my closet full of clothes I bought when I got down the first time around that I wasn't able to wear - I'm getting back into most of them now, another 5-10 lbs & I'll be back in them all. I refused to buy new clothes!
Old 12-04-2008, 01:54 AM   #146  
Em

Quote:
WAY TO GO!!! What a great accomplishment!

I have been MIA since my trip to Arkansas. My dad survived the surgery - it was an awful mess - 5 bypasses & a valve replacement followed by 18 hours of uncontrollable bleeding. We stayed by his bedside thinking this was it for him. 10 days later he was released and walking around on his own!! A true miracle. We were back for 4 days then off to our two week trip - 1 1/2 days at Disney, 4 days to a Bahamas cruise and then followed it with a business trip. We left on Halloween and came back on the 11th. I've been trying to get caught up with work, but I've really been missing this on-line community!!
Welcome back Gina! So glad your dad made it - it's amazing how quickly they start to recover from bypass surgery. (Seems like the mental/emotional recovery is more difficult than the physical.)

Glad to see you here - I was starting to worry that you'd abandoned us! Hope you had a wonderful trip.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #147  

S/C/G: 217/217/175

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraSerendipity View Post
Talking about cookies. I have to share the wonderful tea i found Its sugar cookie sleigh ride by celestial seasonsings, it tastes like liquid sugar cookies, its so amazing!!!
That one is wonderful and also Tazo has a organic apple tea that is incredible it tastes like caramel apple!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:50 AM   #148  
MRC Repeat Offender

S/C/G: 251/151/151

Height: 5'9"

Gina: It's so great to see you back here--you've been missed!! And what wonderful news about your father!

Bonnie: I'm so glad to hear your views on maintenance as I'm heading that way soon. It sounds like you have really gotten it down!

3MM: Great to hear from you as always & glad to hear you have gotten into a good exercise routine.

stuckingradschool: Love your new photo--you look fantastic!

LauraSerendipity: That tea sounds good--I'll be on the lookout for it.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #149  
Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraSerendipity View Post
I'm thinking that could be the answer to the temptation of the holiday goodies - a cup of hot tea that tastes like cookies!
Or make a chocolate pudding HNS & add a little mint or cinnamon or orange extract to it.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #150  
Gina

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8"

Default Holiday Parties

Since I started in Aug '07, I went through the whole silly season and did really well. My trick was to eat before attending the networking parties. My will power is iron strong if I'm not hungry. However, if I am hungry - I cave in a micro second! This way I can relax and enjoy the true networking. Another small trick is to bring your own "cocktail". I'll ask for a pretty glass - ice and a sprig - and keep a bottle of water that I can mix my HNS in. Then I just pour it in the cocktail glass and everyone thinks I'm socially drinking too. By the time you sit down to the dinner, the edge is off because of the HNS and it's a lot easier to stay on plan. Steak is an easy thing to order for an evening meal - they usually coat your chicken in something bad. I've been using this trick this year too. The mental balance this year is being on stabilization - you don't have to be concerned with staying in the chemical balance (the real secret to losing fast with MRC is staying in that fat burning mode!) I know I can have a few nibbles here and there and it won't throw me off - except knowing what will trigger me. In the past (pre-MRC) I've had a big problem with binging. I would say, I'm already off my diet, I might as well enjoy it. Now with the new healthy me, I can have a taste and be satisfied. This MRC journey has really taught me some great lifelong lessons. Hope my 2 cents helps someone!
Closed Thread