Old 02-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #136  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 172/see ticker/145

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gma to 4 View Post
Bonnie: Here's a little something for both of us to keep us on track. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

I had a pretty good two days OP, drinking my water and weighing my portions, so hope I'm back on track. I did make guacamole and didn't measure the 3 oz of avocado for my fat, but think it must have been about right. And I substituted some baked pita chips for half a pita, so probably blew it with those. Sure tasted good, though, and wasn't the worse thing I could have eaten. And I went two whole days without a chocolate sneak, which was easy as I don't keep any in the house. I will see how tomorrow goes with chocolate at work.

I have a board meeting tomorrow afternoon so that is always stressful, with an MRC maintenance cooking class when I get done. Tomorrow they are making jambalaya, so that should be good. I'll post the recipe when I get it.

Judy
Gma to 4
Judy,

Thanks for replying to my commitment post. I think that accountability is my biggest deterrent to cheating. Not getting on the scale (even if it was at home) for over a week was a big factor in my weight gain.

Good to see that you haven't had any chocolate over the weekend. Yesterday and today, neither did I. Maybe we should become "buddies" and use each other for accountability.

Tonight I go to my twice weekly spin class and tomorrow and Wednesday will be nice enough to ride outdoors. Next week we leave for Colorado to ski for a week again. I think that will help.

Still on track to get weighed on Thursday and see what the "official damage" will be and will change my ticker to reflect the truth.

Bonnie
MrsPhibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #137  
Judy

S/C/G: 174/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPhibes View Post
Judy,

Thanks for replying to my commitment post. I think that accountability is my biggest deterrent to cheating. Not getting on the scale (even if it was at home) for over a week was a big factor in my weight gain.

Good to see that you haven't had any chocolate over the weekend. Yesterday and today, neither did I. Maybe we should become "buddies" and use each other for accountability.

Tonight I go to my twice weekly spin class and tomorrow and Wednesday will be nice enough to ride outdoors. Next week we leave for Colorado to ski for a week again. I think that will help.

Still on track to get weighed on Thursday and see what the "official damage" will be and will change my ticker to reflect the truth.

Bonnie
Bonnie,

I'm on for being your accountability buddy! It really seems to be the only thing that works for me...being accountable to something/someone other than me. It sounds like we've been falling into some of the same traps.

I'll bet you will be pleasantly surprised when you WI on Thursday, especially after going to the spin class, then riding outdoors. Skiing next week should burn more calories for you, so even if your weight is up, you will be heading back down before you know it. And we are expecting more snow in the mountains, so the skiing should be great. Are you heading back to the Vail area? If you get a chance, check out the outlets. You should see the blouses and suit jackets I got for $5.99 EACH at Van Heusen. Coldwater Creek, Chico's and Jones New York also had some great buys.

I got past the third day in a row without chocolate and stayed OP again except for the "tasting" at the cooking class (a bit of rice, shrimp, chicken, okra in the Jambalaya). It was really good, so I'll post it next.

And the best news yet! Denise/Namaste starts stabilization this weekend, so was at the cooking class. We chatted a bit about the lack of postings on the MRC threads, so maybe she will join us over here on the maintenance thread and share her wisdom with us. She looks fantastic!

Judy
Gma to 4
Gma to 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:36 PM   #138  
Judy

Meemo, ShineOn, WorkingARMom, Finz:

I miss you all...hope things are going OK. Chime in and let us know how you are doing.

Judy
Gma to 4
Old 02-23-2009, 10:49 PM   #139  
Bonnie

I posted an invite on the "regular" thread for Denise to join us here. I miss the activity that was on that thread last year when a lot of us were really active. There are so many of us that have disappeared. 3MM, Angie Rue, and many others. I did see that Exquisite posted (she and I started at the same time).

Don't think we will spend any time at the outlets shopping. My husband doesn't like to shop. In fact, I usually pre-shop for him. Then I tell him where to go and he buys it. But on the bright side you burn more calories skiing than shopping. We're staying in Avon but will ski mostly at Vail.

This afternoon when I was hungry I had an HNS. It did the job and took the edge off until dinner which was early 5pm because we start spinning at 6:30.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Bonnie
Old 02-23-2009, 11:38 PM   #140  
Judy

Default Maintenance Recipe - Jambalaya

Here's the recipe for Jambalaya from our Maintenance Cooking Class.

Creole Seasoning - makes enough to keep for future recipes. Mix together in container that can be sealed. This seasoning can be used in Mexican dishes as well, such as fajitas. For a spicier mixture, add red pepper seasoning.

2-1/2 Tbsp. paprika
2 Tbsp. sea salt
2 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
*1 Tbsp. dried oregano
*1 Tbsp. dried thyme

*Can substitute 2 Tbsp. of Italian seasoning instead

1 cup uncooked brown rice (makes 2 cups cooked rice)
2 chicken breasts, cut in bite-size pieces
1 lb. raw deveined shrimp with tails removed (can use bite-size frozen shrimp)
8 oz. frozen okra
Olive oil

Cook rice according to package dirctions, adding 2-3 Tbsp. of Creole seasonings and cook thoroughly

Begin cooking chicken in small amount of olive oil, sprinkling with Creole seasoning mix. When almost cooked, add shrimp and frozen okra and cook until hot. May add more Creole seasoning for additional "heat" as you add the shrimp and okra.

Can also add 1 cut up hot sausage link or add homemade turkey sausage (use MRC recipe and shape into log role. Wrap in wax paper and freeze. Once frozen, cut into bite size pieces and add to meat mixture to cook.)

This can be divided into Ziploc bags and frozen, then used for a lunch meal. It serves about 4 people (1/2 cup rice, with about 4 oz of meat/okra mixture. Add additional veggies, such as cut up squash, zucchini, green pepper to increase veggie serving to 4 oz.).

You can also add a salad to get the additional vegetables serving, such as a cucumber and tomato salad.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:53 PM   #141  
Judy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPhibes View Post
I posted an invite on the "regular" thread for Denise to join us here. I miss the activity that was on that thread last year when a lot of us were really active. There are so many of us that have disappeared. 3MM, Angie Rue, and many others. I did see that Exquisite posted (she and I started at the same time).

Bonnie
Denise and I were talking tonight about the activity that used to be on the "regular" thread. There were times that we had 30 pages posted in less than a week. I can remember if I was out of town for a few days, it took me a couple of hours to catch up. Don't you wonder what happened to everyone? I remember those you mentioned along with Donuts, Stuck In Grad School, Ms. Gigi, Snflwgrl1962, Goal4Life, DKRiley, JewelieK, MSTeacher, SchoonCR, Shenanigan, and so many more. Maybe some of them are lurking and can chime in on how they are all doing...

Judy
Old 02-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #142  
MRC Repeat Offender

S/C/G: 251/151/151

Height: 5'9"

I'm sorry I've been so horrible at posting because I do like keeping up with everyone. I'm doing OK with things so far. I'm still at the point where I'm very aware of food and feel like I'm straying too far from the green menu. I wonder if that's ever going to go away!
I discover new triggers on an almost daily basis. Breads and sweets just do me in so I find it best to stay away if possible. And if I drink wine at home, I want to munch on something. Luckily, after being alcohol free for a year, I'm not in the habit of drinking a glass every night like I was pre MRC.
I feel like I'm still on a huge maintenance learning curve!
I did go WI today, the first time in 3 weeks and was 1.5 down so I'm the lowest I've been in years. I have moderately increased my exercise and was a bit worried that might increase my weight (in a good way, I know) but apparently not.

So that's my report! I'm looking forward to Denise chiming in over here, too, Judy. And I also miss hearing from some of the really active & fun members that were posting so often in 2008. Hope some of them come back!

Last edited by Finz; 02-26-2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Finz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #143  
Judy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finz View Post
I'm sorry I've been so horrible at posting because I do like keeping up with everyone. I'm doing OK with things so far. I'm still at the point where I'm very aware of food and feel like I'm straying too far from the green menu. I wonder if that's ever going to go away!
I discover new triggers on an almost daily basis. Breads and sweets just do me in so I find it best to stay away if possible. And if I drink wine at home, I want to munch on something. Luckily, after being alcohol free for a year, I'm not in the habit of drinking a glass every night like I was pre MRC.
I feel like I'm still on a huge maintenance learning curve!
I did go WI today, the first time in 3 weeks and was 1.5 so I'm the lowest I've been in years. I have moderately increased my exercise and was a bit worried that might increase my weight (in a good way, I know) but apparently not.

So that's my report! I'm looking forward to Denise chiming in over here, too, Judy. And I also miss hearing from some of the really active & fun members that were posting so often in 2008. Hope some of them come back!
Finz: Sure sounds like you are doing things right. You have to feel so great about what you've accomplished!

I think we all have those dang triggers that seem to trip us up, but at least we become more aware of what they are. The few times I've had alcohol, I've immediately gained weight. You'd think by drinking extra water the next day, it would "wash" the empty liquor calories away, but it doesn't. And it seems to take much longer to get it back off. I'm still totin' around that darn Hawaii lava flow/pina colada weight from back in October, plus another pound or two of their friends usually in the form of a sangria swirl (1/2 sangria, 1/2 margarita!). Yeah, yeah...those bits of chocolate here and there I was sneaking haven't helped. I was on such a roll again and staying OP until Tuesday night, when I had to stay at my daughter's for two days while she had more medical tests (follow up to her December seizure). It's so much harder when you aren't the one controlling what food is in the house for what you can eat.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #144  
Em

S/C/G: 170

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Meemo, ShineOn, WorkingARMom, Finz:

I miss you all...hope things are going OK. Chime in and let us know how you are doing.

Judy
Gma to 4
I'm here - think I'm suffering a case of the "February Funk". Went to weigh in last week, was down 2, so moved on to week 3 of stabilization & enjoying the return of my breakfast yogurt. Was doing fine until I got on the scale this morning & was way up - not sure what's that about, I haven't been eating perfectly but clearly something's making me retain water. (I had been on a bit of a Diet Sunkist kick, which I've been trying to eliminate but since it has caffeine now I'm getting the caffeine withdrawal headaches...)

Anyway, the last couple of Februarys we've been waiting for the arrival of a grandchild, this year it's back to being tired of winter, looking forward to spring, which is truly pathetic when I live in Florida for heaven's sake! Plus I found out the grandma who's shared watching my daughter's two little ones (aged almost 4 & just turned 2) is going back to work. She's still wanting to watch them a day or two a week, but I'm gonna be having them a LOT more & the very thought wears me out! Thank goodness my husband's job contract ends in June & he'll be off possibly until October when a new contract should begin, so he'll be around to help for the summer.

Everyone around me has been sick, husband, daughter & son-in-law, both the grandkids - the only thing I can think of is that all the vitamins & herbs I take are maybe helping my immunity!

That's it from my part of the world. Will try to get things under control so I can go in on Monday & have a good weigh-in & hopefully move on to the next menu.

Last edited by Meemo; 02-27-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:06 PM   #145  
Bonnie

Okay ladies, here's the scoop. After finally weighing in today I am back to my pre-Colorado weight. That is, up 3. from my weigh in when I came back a month ago. I had lost 2.5 previously. It's not terrible and my center is not unhappy about it but it is making me pledge to be a little more cautious, drink my water, and not stray as much from the "plan". I did feel thinner at that weight and would so like to be back there. It's funny how just 3 pounds can make that much of a difference.

We leave Wednesday for another 6-7days of skiing so I hope to be down that 3 again when I return.

It's good to see a few more posts here.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #146  
Gina

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8"

I've been really bad about checking in, but really good about staying op! I'm still losing about 2 - 3 lbs per week, but I had a 3 week plateau that about did me in mentally. I'm still struggling with the idea of the new lower weight they set for me. I now weigh less than I did in week 4 of stabilization back in Oct, but I feel much, much thinner and it shows in the clothes. I've been perfect on my couch to 5k running program until this week. Came down with a horrible cold and it got into my chest, so I didn't feel comfortable running on Wed & Fri. Anyway, I think the thinness is because of the running, weights, crunches and push ups I've been doing. I know the muscle tone is much greater than it was before the holidays. In fact, when I went into stabilization last time, I had really slacked off of any formal exercise for about 3 months. This time is completely different. I'm scheduled for a tanita & measurements at my next wi. Hopefully I can be done with the mucinex and get it out of my system so it wont mess up the readings. I'm 3 lbs from being able to start stabilization, but dang I feel really, really thin! I'm hoping to show enough of a muscle tone gain to get that body fat percentage down so we can just jump into stabilization. The center director said I can throw the flag and start early if I want. I figured my contract wasn't up until the 8th, so I would just see where I was by then.

Here's the really fantastic news. I went in for my annual exam last Friday. I started the program because my HDL cholestrol was way, way too high - 155 and it needed to be 100 or lower since I'm diabetic. Can't remember what the overall chol was - upper 200's I think. My overall chol is now 147 and my HDL is 100!!! My blood pressure is nice & low and my A1C (diabetic indicators) is down to 4.7 - started in the mid 6's. All of this was done without being on any medications. My Dr was thrilled. He even volunteered to write a letter to get insurance to pay for plastic surgery to reduce the excess skin (arms & mid section are the worst). He said I already saved them a ton of money by not having weight reduction surgery and my health is so much better now. If I did have the weight loss surgery, they would have pd for plastic surgery so I shouldn't be punished for doing it the hard way. I thanked him and told him I wanted to wait until my 1 yr anniversary of keeping it off. They warned us at the center that our bodies would continue to change during the year of maintenance. He said to just let him know if I changed my mind. I don't want to get my hopes up. I know someone who had the weight loss surgery, lost over 100 lbs, but was turned down for the plastic surgery. But, it's worth a shot - IF I decide to take him up on the offer. Right now, I think it's really healthy mentally to have the physical battle scares. It keeps me humble knowing what my skin looks like under the clothes. And honestly, it's really not that bad. Sure my skin is loose and saggy, but it's nothing like some of the things I've seen on tv. Considering I've lost 16 inches just from my mid section alone, I think my skin has done remarkably well. It's the upper arms that really bug me. I lost 6 inches there! I have pretty good muscle tone but a nice big flap too - that's hard to cover in the summer.

That was a nice long post I'll be better about checking in!!

Thank you so much Judy for posting from the maintenance class & the new receipes. Can hardly wait to try them!!

Last edited by ShineOn; 02-28-2009 at 12:48 PM.
ShineOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #147  
Judy

Meemo, Finz, Shineon, Mrs. Phibes:

It really is GREAT to hear from all of you. And it's encouraging to know that we all still struggle to stay at what is a good and healthy weight.

Meemo, I hear you about watching the g-kids. I love all 4 of mine immensely, but really don't have the energy or the patience to watch them full-time. I don't know how some of the people in our age group manage when they are raising their g-kids. I had my youngest two (4 and 19 months) Tuesday evening, then most of the day Wednesday, and Wednesday night had the two oldest (9 & 5) for a few hours. I seriously think taking care of kids full time is much harder than my job running a foundation. And I can relate to the February funk, but tomorrow is March and we are expecting record-setting temps in the 70s here in Colorado. Hope you get to feeing better.

Mrs. Phibes, the mountains got more snow yesterday, so hope the skiing is good for you. We have family coming in from California for a week, so won't get back up to our condo until the second weekend in March. I still think you should make a stop at the outlet malls on the way up or back...those clothes deals are fantastic!

ShineOn, WOO HOO! What a great report on your medical NSV. You must really be feeling great. I know what you mean about the loose skin...my upper arms are finally starting to tone up. I started doing triceps exercises one day, then biceps the next (using 3 lb weights and a resistance band) and am starting to see a difference after 3 weeks. I don't think I will ever get rid of the pouch around my tummy...after two kids and 59 years, it is here to stay

Finz, I just love your common sense on the posts. Keep chiming in, as we all learn from each other.

And my report...after a week nearly perfectly OP, I was down 1.5 lbs at today's WI. I had a chance to really sit down and talk to my favorite MRC counselor who is running the maintenance classes. For what it is worth, here are some of his suggestions:

1. I was using my breakfast or lunch fruit as a snack between meals, often with the granola for my mock apple crisp. He suggested always having a protein with a carbohydrate (fruit), rather than the second carb (granola), at least most of the time. So I'll try a string cheese with the fruit as a snack. I'll use the granola apple crisp once in awhile with my lunch, rather than as a between meal snack.

2. I started using Meemo's food diaries faithfully last week, and that really helped. He was able to take a look at my lunch choices and thought that might be the one meal where I was eating too much. I am so nervous about not following the last week of the stabilization menu that I'm not being flexible with what I do eat. He reminded me that the stabilization menu after that period is really more about guidance. As this is a change of eating habits for a lifetime, we all need to learn how to incorporate those food "suggestions" into something we can live with but not have to be so structured by following it exactly.

3. While gelato is a better choice than ice cream, it is NOT a substitute for milk (which I'm not very fond of, so thought it could be). As it has a fruit base, it is actually a carb. So instead of having it several times a week in place of a milk, I will use it as a treat once in awhile and as a carb.

4. You can never OD on veggies, so can eat more of them than the 4 oz at lunch and dinner. I love omelets with mushrooms, green peppers and onions, so it is OK to have something like that even for breakfast. The only veggies to watch out for are potatoes and corn. They should still be eaten only a few times a week. Carrots are OK for staving off hunger or satisfying an urge for something crunchy, but shouldn't be done too often.

Hope the rest of you will continue to share the suggestions and tips you learn during the stabilization/maintenance process. It really helps all of us!
Old 02-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #148  
Gina

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Meemo, Finz, Shineon, Mrs. Phibes:

It really is GREAT to hear from all of you. And it's encouraging to know that we all still struggle to stay at what is a good and healthy weight.

Meemo, I hear you about watching the g-kids. I love all 4 of mine immensely, but really don't have the energy or the patience to watch them full-time. I don't know how some of the people in our age group manage when they are raising their g-kids. I had my youngest two (4 and 19 months) Tuesday evening, then most of the day Wednesday, and Wednesday night had the two oldest (9 & 5) for a few hours. I seriously think taking care of kids full time is much harder than my job running a foundation. And I can relate to the February funk, but tomorrow is March and we are expecting record-setting temps in the 70s here in Colorado. Hope you get to feeing better.

Mrs. Phibes, the mountains got more snow yesterday, so hope the skiing is good for you. We have family coming in from California for a week, so won't get back up to our condo until the second weekend in March. I still think you should make a stop at the outlet malls on the way up or back...those clothes deals are fantastic!

ShineOn, WOO HOO! What a great report on your medical NSV. You must really be feeling great. I know what you mean about the loose skin...my upper arms are finally starting to tone up. I started doing triceps exercises one day, then biceps the next (using 3 lb weights and a resistance band) and am starting to see a difference after 3 weeks. I don't think I will ever get rid of the pouch around my tummy...after two kids and 59 years, it is here to stay

Finz, I just love your common sense on the posts. Keep chiming in, as we all learn from each other.

And my report...after a week nearly perfectly OP, I was down 1.5 lbs at today's WI. I had a chance to really sit down and talk to my favorite MRC counselor who is running the maintenance classes. For what it is worth, here are some of his suggestions:

1. I was using my breakfast or lunch fruit as a snack between meals, often with the granola for my mock apple crisp. He suggested always having a protein with a carbohydrate (fruit), rather than the second carb (granola), at least most of the time. So I'll try a string cheese with the fruit as a snack. I'll use the granola apple crisp once in awhile with my lunch, rather than as a between meal snack.

2. I started using Meemo's food diaries faithfully last week, and that really helped. He was able to take a look at my lunch choices and thought that might be the one meal where I was eating too much. I am so nervous about not following the last week of the stabilization menu that I'm not being flexible with what I do eat. He reminded me that the stabilization menu after that period is really more about guidance. As this is a change of eating habits for a lifetime, we all need to learn how to incorporate those food "suggestions" into something we can live with but not have to be so structured by following it exactly.

3. While gelato is a better choice than ice cream, it is NOT a substitute for milk (which I'm not very fond of, so thought it could be). As it has a fruit base, it is actually a carb. So instead of having it several times a week in place of a milk, I will use it as a treat once in awhile and as a carb.

4. You can never OD on veggies, so can eat more of them than the 4 oz at lunch and dinner. I love omelets with mushrooms, green peppers and onions, so it is OK to have something like that even for breakfast. The only veggies to watch out for are potatoes and corn. They should still be eaten only a few times a week. Carrots are OK for staving off hunger or satisfying an urge for something crunchy, but shouldn't be done too often.

Hope the rest of you will continue to share the suggestions and tips you learn during the stabilization/maintenance process. It really helps all of us!
That's really good advice. I really look forward to getting through the entire process this time. I stopped at the maintenance phase. Thanks for sharing.
ShineOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #149  
Em

S/C/G: 170

Height: 5'6"

Good advice you got Judy - thanks for sharing! And Gina - what a great NSV!
That's got to be a huge motivator for you to maintain!

Me - I kinda conveniently forgot about having bunko last night - not only that, it was "wear your pj's/loungewear" night, and the hostess cooked breakfast/brunch. Just happens to be my favorite meal. So I tried to be good, but I did go a little heavy (so to speak) on the biscuits & sausage gravy. What can I say, I'm a good Southern girl! So I won't be going in tomorrow for a weigh-in, it'll probably be more like Thursday! Oh well...it was the last day of my February Funk - March is a whole new month (and it has come in like a lion here, turned cold -for us - and windy).

Last edited by Meemo; 03-01-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #150  
Denise

S/C/G: 354/ticker/183

Height: 5'11"

Hello Loves!

I went to weigh in on Saturday and guess what? It was my (and many others) stabilization party! I had totally forgotten. I for some reason moved it 2 weeks ahead in my mind... so I ran back home and change out of my sweats and grabbed my kiddo (because he had to be involved) and ran back in time to join in. How cool! I'm there. Weird. Kind of surreal. But good.

And, here we go.

I don't actually meet to discuss the plan until next Saturday but I am officially hangin' with my ladies! And I have lost 1/2 of my previous self and gained soooo much more!

I love you all!
namaste is offline   Reply With Quote