Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 11:30 PM   #76  
Em

S/C/G: 170

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofboys View Post
I'm afraid to go to the center for WI since I know the scale will show me "up" and I know it'll be due to me eating OP. Then I'll confess all my sins, and they'll tell me all the things I should be doing....blah, blah, blah......I would just give up and quit if it weren't for all the money I've invested with MRC already.
Sorry for the sob story - but it's not like I can talk to anyone else about all this stuff.
It's great to come here to vent - but you're paying MRC to talk to THEM about all this stuff too! Use them!

Use the money you've invested already as your incentive - remind yourself you've paid too much to continue eating off plan & sabotaging yourself. And let's face it - the "give up and quit" strategy never gets anyone to their goal - no matter what the goal is.

Okay, now that I've kicked you in the butt a bit, go in & weigh in & get yourself back on track. If your center offers any classes on handling things like stress eating, it might be helpful to try them. Or if your center doesn't do classes, pick up the Linda Spangle book, Life Is Hard, Food Is Easy. Lots of the centers teach classes using this book.

And get those cheat foods out of the house!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:32 PM   #77  
Becky

S/C/G: 190/190/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

Well ladies - I can't tell you how much I appreciate all your support. You guys have actually brought me to tears tonight - thankyou. I managed to stay OP all day and plan to end my night with a "rootbeer float" - I've been tempted to stray, but managed to stay strong. I'll be going in tomorrow to
WI - wish me luck!

Goal4Life - Thank you - I haven't been planning out my meals for the whole day. Well in my head I have, but I do think preping the stuff would also make a difference. And I completely forgot about the meringue cookies...can I really have them anytime? Do you get your protein bars from MRC?

thelish - You have an interesting thought - what does craving sweets mean...am I missing my hubby and need a hug? - I also crave salty stuff alot?? The gum is something I forgot about too - thanks I'll be trying that.

Strawberry - I'm with ya girl - I am beginning to think this is too restrictive too, maybe that is why I keep losing my mind and eating things I know I shouldn't be eating - it's seriously like I can't control myself. I'm hoping this is just a speed bump for us and we'll be able to move past it and be successful like so many on the board have been!

GradSchool - What a great thought! I love the idea of being able to look forward to something like eating out again! I think that is alot of my problem - nothing to look forward too, especially on the weekends. Before I would look forward to going out to dinner or having a glass of wine or something. Now my hubby is out of the country till the 1st of Aug, and I just hang out with my boys. I love them all dearly, but mom doesn't want to play video games with them usually! I really think I'll give the Applebee's thing a try - thanks for the advice!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:34 PM   #78  
Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryrhubarbpie View Post
My center informed me that they are not going to make the tomato supplement anymore, it has been discontinued. Which makes no sense as half of the recipes in their cookbook asks for it! The guy told me to follow the recipe on page 126 (I think) for a tomato puree thingy to make as a substitute. It consists of tomatoes, cottage cheese and spices. I tried to make it and it looked awful so I've just been making recipes that don't call for the tomato supplement. I'm about ready to bring the cookbook in for a refund though.
They get the HNS from a supplier - I'm guessing the supplier discontinued it for some reason. I think you could just add the fresh tomatoes & some plain whey protein powder to amount to about 15 grams of protein & get about the same results as the tomato HNS...but I've never tried that so I don't know for sure. Just a guess. At least you'd have the taste of fresh tomatoes!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:38 PM   #79  
Becky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
It's great to come here to vent - but you're paying MRC to talk to THEM about all this stuff too! Use them!

Use the money you've invested already as your incentive - remind yourself you've paid too much to continue eating off plan & sabotaging yourself. And let's face it - the "give up and quit" strategy never gets anyone to their goal - no matter what the goal is.

Okay, now that I've kicked you in the butt a bit, go in & weigh in & get yourself back on track. If your center offers any classes on handling things like stress eating, it might be helpful to try them. Or if your center doesn't do classes, pick up the Linda Spangle book, Life Is Hard, Food Is Easy. Lots of the centers teach classes using this book.

And get those cheat foods out of the house!

Thanks Meemo - I really did need that kick! I will go out and buy that book tomorrow if I can find it - thank you. This may be just an excuse, but I'm the one in my family who needs to get a grip on my diet - I hate to make my boys (none have an ounce of fat on them!) pay for my weakness. I suppose I could lock up the temptations and give them the key.....I'll have to ponder that a bit more. Thanks again - you all are great.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:40 PM   #80  
Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal4Life View Post
Mom, I responded to Rocki a page or 2 back about the sabatoging. Some ideas I use to help me. Something that may help you is planning your entire day for all meals. I find that if I plan what I am going to eat, and have it all ready to be cooked (chop up the veggies and fruit etc), then I stick to it better. As for sweets...in the beginning, I would cut up 1 protein bar into 10 pieces, and keep it in a baggie in my desk or in my purse...if I was having a weak moment, I would take just 1 little piece of the bar. It seemed to always satisfy me..I usualy did this with the chocolate peanut butter bars or the mint chocolate bars, that way I felt like I was indugling. The cook book has a recipe for merinang cookies, that you can basically eat whenever, you could make up a batch of those, and keep in a tupperware for easy access.
One thing that can sometimes help is to not only plan, but to actually write down what you're going to eat for the day on your food sheet. Commit yourself to it ahead of time - make a promise to yourself & then keep that promise.

Thanks for the reminder about the meringue cookies - I have a recipe that I'm going to try for those for a treat!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:41 PM   #81  

Height: 5'5

On the question about too restrictive I wonder if it kind of depends what you need. For me I need the more restrictive in order to be successful. For example I did WW core prior to MRC. The food is really somewhat the same, however you have a store of points to use each week on OP foods. Well, for me I saw those points as the freedom to eat the same junk I was eating before so my habits never really changes. This time around I feel more like I am making a lifestyle change. At the same time I have friends who can have just a limited amount of the food they loved before Just my two cents.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:45 PM   #82  
Becky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelish View Post
On the question about too restrictive I wonder if it kind of depends what you need. For me I need the more restrictive in order to be successful. For example I did WW core prior to MRC. The food is really somewhat the same, however you have a store of points to use each week on OP foods. Well, for me I saw those points as the freedom to eat the same junk I was eating before so my habits never really changes. This time around I feel more like I am making a lifestyle change. At the same time I have friends who can have just a limited amount of the food they loved before Just my two cents.

Your so right as far as WW goes! I did the flex plan and would seriously "save" my points all day so I could have the cookies, of glass of wine or whatever at the end of the day. So yes - I agree, I probably do need this to be the way it is - but gosh - old habits die hard!!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:54 PM   #83  
Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofboys View Post
Thanks Meemo - I really did need that kick! I will go out and buy that book tomorrow if I can find it - thank you. This may be just an excuse, but I'm the one in my family who needs to get a grip on my diet - I hate to make my boys (none have an ounce of fat on them!) pay for my weakness. I suppose I could lock up the temptations and give them the key.....I'll have to ponder that a bit more. Thanks again - you all are great.
I hear you - but are those things really good for them? Even if they don't have weight issues - cookies and candy and the other stuff isn't really healthy for them either? Look at it that way...they can have the other stuff at their friend's houses, at restaurants, etc, but at your house they'll be eating healthy. They might not be happy about it, but they'll appreciate it in the long run. I know I'm bad about buying treats "for the grandkids" - knowing they don't need them & I end up eating it myself! And in the back of my mind, I know it when I buy the stuff! DOH!

OR...buy them treats that you don't like! You might indulge occasionally, but if it's something you don't much care for, then you'll be tempted less often & won't eat as much if you do "cave".

One more random thought. Maybe you can have an "indulgence day" once a week or so. I've always said that I made my share of "off plan" choices. But I usually made the big ones right after a weigh-in. Gave me time to recover! And as long as the vast majority of your days are on-plan, the occasional off-plan eating day won't do too much damage.

Last edited by Meemo; 07-02-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:08 AM   #84  
Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryrhubarbpie View Post

I'm just thinking to myself... is this diet too restrictive? Is this why it's such a struggle to stay 100% on track? If I'm not successful, do I blame myself or do I blame the program?

*sigh*
Remember my siggy quote (which came from an MRC ad!):

If you think a weight loss program is too restrictive, stop and consider how restrictive it is to be overweight.

Yep - MRC is restrictive. Unrestricted eating, however, is what got me into MRC's door. Whenever I'd start feeling like "This is too HAAAARRRRDDDD", it was that devil in me who loves chips & fries & double cheeseburgers begging for a fix.

The reason pretzels help "keep you awake" is the sugar rush from the carbs. And maybe the crunch. Try to keep your fruit choice at lunch to berries, melon, etc - the lower glycemic choices. That way you won't be getting quite as much sugar & won't "crash" later in the afternoon. And make sure you're getting all your protein for lunch. Have some type of a creamy, maybe, for a mid-afternoon snack to help keep you going.

It ain't easy, and I doubt that anyone ever went through without the occasional straying from the program. Just do the best you can and you'll get there!
Old 07-02-2008, 12:12 AM   #85  
Shannon

I agree with both of you about WW. I tried it 4 times and lost about 9 pounds, but it took me 6 months! I did the same thing...saved up my points for OP foods. I have done MRC and had success. I just gave up too quickly. Mostly, I set my goal weight too low and just couldn't attain it. Now I have been denying myself nothing for the last year and ballooned 28 pounds. Ugh! I started pre-conditioning today and remembered how well the supplements helped me. I can;t wait to get the first 10 days out of the way and start looking and feeling great!

I have a few questions... I haven't been to my orientation class yet, bt the counselor mentioned eating in restaurants and I am seeing you all mention meal bars. These things weren't available when I did this 6 years ago. How do these fit into the plan?

Thanks in advance for all of the great advice! I am really getting excited to start!
Old 07-02-2008, 09:51 AM   #86  
DIANA-Start Date 03/08/08

S/C/G: 243/206/180

Height: 5'4

Goodmorning all, Happy Hump Day!!

Blue eyed- I was wondering if you are still on the hoodia/green tea pills and if they are working for you? I ran out of the mrc hoodia and was needing a replacment does ANYONE have any ideas?

Welcome to all the Newbies your gonna LOVE it here!
Old 07-02-2008, 09:56 AM   #87  
Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenanigan View Post
I agree with both of you about WW. I tried it 4 times and lost about 9 pounds, but it took me 6 months! I did the same thing...saved up my points for OP foods. I have done MRC and had success. I just gave up too quickly. Mostly, I set my goal weight too low and just couldn't attain it. Now I have been denying myself nothing for the last year and ballooned 28 pounds. Ugh! I started pre-conditioning today and remembered how well the supplements helped me. I can;t wait to get the first 10 days out of the way and start looking and feeling great!

I have a few questions... I haven't been to my orientation class yet, bt the counselor mentioned eating in restaurants and I am seeing you all mention meal bars. These things weren't available when I did this 6 years ago. How do these fit into the plan?

Thanks in advance for all of the great advice! I am really getting excited to start!
Welcome back to MRC! Sounds like you've learned a lot about yourself & should have good success this time around.

The meal bars are meal replacements - they allow you to use them 3 times a week (and you aren't supposed to have a creamy HNS on the same day). They still really want you to eat "real" food, tho.

As far as restaurants - at my food class they gave us a sheet with different restaurants & what would be good choices at those restaurants (both fast-food & regular restaurants).
Old 07-02-2008, 10:00 AM   #88  
MRC Repeat Offender

S/C/G: 251/151/151

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenanigan View Post

The bars are meal replacements. I rarely use them as I find that I am still hungry. It was a great disappointment to learn that they weren't between meal snacks
I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that if you have one for breakfast, that's all you have but if you have one for lunch or dinner, you still have to have your vegetable.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:19 AM   #89  
Judy

S/C/G: 174/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiah View Post

Blue eyed- I was wondering if you are still on the hoodia/green tea pills and if they are working for you? I ran out of the mrc hoodia and was needing a replacment does ANYONE have any ideas?

Alexiah, I started the hoodia/green tea pills with the Sea Thin a month ago, based on Donuts suggestion. Unfortunately, I didn't see any positive changes; in fact, my weekly WI's have resulted in less of a loss than before, and I was only down 6 inches when I was measured last week (a total of 36 overall, but the first 30 inches were in the first two months OP). I just finished the last of them and am not going to replace them. I've been pretty faithful following the MRC plan, so don't attribute a slower loss to any poor choices. I'm anxious to hear how others respond.

Judy
Gma to 4
Old 07-02-2008, 10:20 AM   #90  
Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiah View Post

I've picked up hoodia at WalMart. I got what I'm using now at iherb.com.
Closed Thread