Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #61  
Bringin' Sexy Back

S/C/G: 275/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck in grad school View Post
Something similar happened to me when I went in last weekend. The original goal weight the Tanita kicked out for me about a month ago was 188 lbs, which isn't even a healthy weight for my height. I think it dropped to somewhere around 160 lbs this weekend, which the consultant thought was probably going to be too low.

The other really bizarre thing is that according to my last Tanita-ing, my body fat percentage has skyrocketed with a gain of 15 percentage points while on plan. I know that's not even in the ballpark because I have been losing, I have been exercising, and that's not even close to what my original percentage was. Clearly the Tanita is possessed.
The tanita machine can be "off" for many reasons...I wouldn't count that reading as accurate, or if you do it again in a week or so and it is comparable to this one, then don't count your first one as accurate. If you just ate prior to wi, or if you had a lot of water, pantyhose on your feet, lots of salt the day prior, time of month, oh, I could go on and on. I always try to use the tanita first thing in the morning, with only my breakfast or HNS in my stomach. I also make sure to not do the reading during my TOM. That way I get a pretty accurate reading every time.

Last edited by Goal4Life; 06-18-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #62  
Jennifer

S/C/G: 206/187.5/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck in grad school View Post
In other news, I have a fatigue/weakness update. My doctor got my blood work back today. It was inconclusive, but he wants me to start a low dose of a thyroid supplement and give it a shot for the next two months to see if I start feeling better. I hope it works! I'm not crazy about the thought of having to take that kind of medicine forever, but I'm even less crazy about being completely worn out. At least I might have come up with a fashionable ailment, though. Isn't Oprah on a thyroid supplement, too?
I totally understand how you feel, I have to take synthroid every day meself. I was in denial when the doctor first diagnosed me with hypothyroidism a few years ago, I'm not sure why. I guess I wanted my body to be perfect and refused to believe it wasn't. I even had her test me twice lol. But now I know for sure that I have it because once, I was too busy to refill my prescription so I went without it for a few days and holy cow was I tired! It was if every ounce of energy that I had (and I don't have much to begin with) was gone. Well I'm sorry to hear that you might also have it but the good news is that if it is what you have at least you will know and the thyroid medicine will help.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 249/249/180

Height: 5'6

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyedangel View Post
I don't consider myself one that gets big losses very often. But wanted to tell you what works for me.

I am pretty consistant (say 4 days out of the week) with 2 boiled eggs & toast at breakfast. And, grilled chicken salad at lunch, with usually an orange or strawberries. Dinner varies...it's the one meal I mix it up.

The other 3 days at breakfast & lunch, I'll do a MRB or 2 oz. cheese, or leftovers from the night before for lunch (chicken, broccoli, stuffed peppers, etc.)

Hope that helps you a little...

Also, I do my HNS between my meals to stave off any hunger. I don't do creamies (but, I've heard they sustain you longer).

Typically on the really long days at work I will have HNS at 5:30, breakfast at 6:00, HNS at 9:30, lunch at about 11:30, HNS at 2:30 & 5:00 & dinner at 7:00.
Thank you for the info. I will max out at 5 HNS. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:56 PM   #64  
Bringin' Sexy Back

If you'all can believe it, I may be waving goodbye to the 170's!!! I haven't gotten to go wi since I got back in town, but my scale is reading 169.2!!! This is amazing, I was so worried about going out of town this time, but I managed to stay on plan, and skipped a delicious looking Cappachino Blast cake that my sister chose from a specialty bakery for her graduation!!! Devil that she is LOL. Now I have to survive the beach this coming weekend!!
Old 06-18-2008, 01:58 PM   #65  

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
I always just chose from the lists - fish was always a good protein for me at lunch when I was trying to kick up the loss rate or break a plateau. Lots of cucumbers for my salads so they weren't so honkin' big. I almost always ate (and still do eat) either one boiled egg + cheese toast or two boiled eggs + cinnamon toast for breakfast. Supper - lots of grilled chicken, sometimes buffalo burgers. Berries are good for lunchtime fruit, or cantaloupe or honeydew (lowest glycemic impact, which is kinda what the whole list of fruits/veggies is based on). Same thing with bread - if you can find the bread with the lowest usable carbs (if you can get Nature's Own Double Fiber bread in your area it's great) it helps with cravings, etc, because it has the least impact on your blood sugar.

Not sure if that's the kind of info you're looking for - they pretty much lay your choices out for you with the lists & menus - what specifically do you need help with?
I usually buy Sara Lee 45 cal bread. Dinners are harder for me because my husband is home earlier and he starts dinner. He does not need to lose weight and his metabolism is so fast, that he usually eats whatever he craves. He is very understanding and tries to accomodate me, but it is still hard because by the time I get home 6 pm, I can eat a cow.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:00 PM   #66  
Jennifer

S/C/G: 206/187.5/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by snflrgrl1962 View Post
[B]
Do you have the "Beware the Feeder" information from MRC? If you have it, you need to read it! Let me know if you don't have it and I will try to scan and post it on here. They warned me about this same thing when I began.

Here are several Quotes from the paper:

"Anytime of year, you must be on the lookout for a creature that seeks people who are trying to lose weight...THE FEEDER! Feeders come in all shapes, sizes, and ages, but they have one common characteristic-they will try to deter you from your program."

"Their motivations differ, but the results they aim for are the same-to see your effort go down the drain."

"YOU OWE KNOW ONE AN APOLOGY FOR GOING ON A PROGRAM AND HELPING YOUR HEALTH AND APPEARANCE!"

She may or may not realize what she is doing, but you need to stick to your guns and don't let her derail you.
I have deliberatley not told anyone about going on this program for this very reason. There are always those that try to derail you, even if they don't intentionally know what that they are doing it. The ones I know will offer, and when I say no they say things like 'oh wow, not even one little bite? One little bite wouldn't hurt. What kind of diet are you on anyway?' Yeah, I just don't share that I'm on an eating plan, it's much easier. If they ask why I don't want a piece of cake I say stuff like, 'oh I just ate a huge lunch and I couldn't eat another bite', or 'my stomach isn't feeling too good right now I better not'.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:01 PM   #67  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal4Life View Post
If you'all can believe it, I may be waving goodbye to the 170's!!! I haven't gotten to go wi since I got back in town, but my scale is reading 169.2!!! This is amazing, I was so worried about going out of town this time, but I managed to stay on plan, and skipped a delicious looking Cappachino Blast cake that my sister chose from a specialty bakery for her graduation!!! Devil that she is LOL. Now I have to survive the beach this coming weekend!!
You are my inspiration. If you can pass on cake, you can do anything. Sweets are my weakness. You will do awesome. 100 lbs......WOW........
I cannot get past 15 lbs.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:02 PM   #68  
Bringin' Sexy Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttobeskinny View Post
I usually buy Sara Lee 45 cal bread. Dinners are harder for me because my husband is home earlier and he starts dinner. He does not need to lose weight and his metabolism is so fast, that he usually eats whatever he craves. He is very understanding and tries to accomodate me, but it is still hard because by the time I get home 6 pm, I can eat a cow.
Have you tried to save your creamy HNS for right when you get home from work...that will buy you some time until you prepare a healthy dinner for yourself. You could also make some of the jello HNS to have handy for right when you walk in the door. I always find if I do this, then I am less liking to pick up something that is off plan. You could have your veggies pre-cut, and much on an ounce or 2 of some raw veggies while you prepare dinner also, just remember to deduct it from your allowable veggie portion for diner.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #69  

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryrhubarbpie View Post
I have deliberatley not told anyone about going on this program for this very reason. There are always those that try to derail you, even if they don't intentionally know what that they are doing it. The ones I know will offer, and when I say no they say things like 'oh wow, not even one little bite? One little bite wouldn't hurt. What kind of diet are you on anyway?' Yeah, I just don't share that I'm on an eating plan, it's much easier. If they ask why I don't want a piece of cake I say stuff like, 'oh I just ate a huge lunch and I couldn't eat another bite', or 'my stomach isn't feeling too good right now I better not'.
I know what you mean. I've heard "i don't think that is healthy" or " If you can't have fruit when you want it, it is a fad". I try not to tell anyone either.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #70  

Quote:
Have you tried to save your creamy HNS for right when you get home from work...that will buy you some time until you prepare a healthy dinner for yourself. You could also make some of the jello HNS to have handy for right when you walk in the door. I always find if I do this, then I am less liking to pick up something that is off plan. You could have your veggies pre-cut, and much on an ounce or 2 of some raw veggies while you prepare dinner also, just remember to deduct it from your allowable veggie portion for diner.
Thankz, I will try that.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:05 PM   #71  
Bringin' Sexy Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttobeskinny View Post
You are my inspiration. If you can pass on cake, you can do anything. Sweets are my weakness. You will do awesome. 100 lbs......WOW........
I cannot get past 15 lbs.
Girl...I was a SWEET Magnet before MRC!! Trust me when I say, you are better off if you stay away from them. I haven't touched a single sweet since Oct, and I can honestly say that I have no cravings for them. I lost my cravings after about the first or second month of being on plan. I am one of the ones that knows the B L T's don't work for them. I just can't even have a taste, or I dive off the cliff into Willy Wonka'ville LOL
Keep up the dedication, and you will get to your goals!
Old 06-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #72  
Bringin' Sexy Back

Quote:
I have the tendency now to explain my lifestyle change as similar to how a diabetic diet is...low sugar...low sodium...low fat...low calorie people tend to accept this "easier" than if I am calling it a diet. I explain to them, that I want to not become pre-diabetic, and to stave off high cholesterol, since that is pretty accepted, all I get now is a nod of the head, and a "good for you" response. This also seems to help at restaraunts when I am adjusting my menu choice. I just tell the waiter/waitress that I am on a strict diabetic menu..then I know they will follow my requests to a tee LOL and not give me the "on a diet eye roll"

Last edited by Goal4Life; 06-18-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 217/ticker/170

Quote:
I totally understand how you feel, I have to take synthroid every day meself. I was in denial when the doctor first diagnosed me with hypothyroidism a few years ago, I'm not sure why. I guess I wanted my body to be perfect and refused to believe it wasn't. I even had her test me twice lol. But now I know for sure that I have it because once, I was too busy to refill my prescription so I went without it for a few days and holy cow was I tired! It was if every ounce of energy that I had (and I don't have much to begin with) was gone. Well I'm sorry to hear that you might also have it but the good news is that if it is what you have at least you will know and the thyroid medicine will help.
That's exactly what he called in! I'm starting tomorrow. Your center didn't recommend making any menu adjustments to accomodate the meds, did it?

I notice you live in Lincoln. I went to UNL one semester and loved the town! I really miss those Runzas!
Old 06-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #74  

Quote:
I have the tendency now to explain my lifestyle change as similar to how a diabetic diet is...low sugar...low sodium...low fat...low calorie people tend to accept this "easier" than if I am calling it a diet. I explain to them, that I want to not become pre-diabetic, and to stave off high cholesterol, since that is pretty accepted, all I get now is a nod of the head, and a "good for you" response. This also seems to help at restaraunts when I am adjusting my menu choice. I just tell the waiter/waitress that I am on a strict diabetic menu..then I know they will follow my requests to a tee LOL and not give me the "on a diet eye roll"
I, too, have noticed this approach is helpful. It seems like no matter how hard I try not to draw attention to my diet, people are noticing that I'm doing something and want an explanation. Since there isn't a center here, no one is familiar with the program anyway.

The funny thing is that my most supportive friend is an overweight guy--he LOVES having an excuse to go to Applebee's for steak once a week. I LOVE being able to order reasonably healthy sides.

Congrats, by the way, on probably leaving the 170s behind! Your pics look GREAT!
Old 06-18-2008, 03:25 PM   #75  

Meemo or snflrgirl--

Thanks so much for the Beware the Feeder tips. I looked through my paperwork, and I do not have a copy of this sheet. Would one of you mind posting it or somehow sending it my way?

Thanks also for the book referral. I'll look online this evening and see if I can round it up. I'm afraid enforcing boundaries is still a challenge for me!
Closed Thread