Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 12:13 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 217/ticker/170

Default Saboteurs in our midst!

Has anyone been successful in fending off chronic saboteurs?

I contemplated getting back on MRC for several months and deliberately started this plan AFTER all my friends and frequent lunch dates had left town for the summer, and left to my own devices I did a great job of staying on plan and being content. Over the course of the last couple of weeks, however, some of these folks have started drifting back into town. One in particular is giving me a world of grief over my diet.

I have repeatedly stated that I am making a conscientious choice to improve my health so that I do not develop Type 2 diabetes and do not have to have foot surgery. This person has the desk directly behind me in our little grad student office, and we spend several hours a day together. She is constantly offering me candy, potato chips, and tuna fish salads, all of which I normally wouldn't eat anyway. I have thus far successfully declined all such offers, but she is constantly telling me that my diet is too restrictive and that I really need more sugar and more salt and that what I'm doing looks too much like Atkins and that isn't healthy. I've tried to make it clear that my doctor is monitoring me and isn't going to let me do anything that would make me sick, but it sure would help my case if I hadn't been such a rag doll the entire time she's been back. I think the most frustrating thing is that she is constantly badgering me to go to various greasy spoons for lunch or join her for dinner for things that are off plan, and she doesn't seem willing to acknowledge or accomodate my new eating preferences. I'm finding that I'm starting to really resent her, and I'm angry with myself for not having been able to nip it in the bud. This girl just had a baby and her husband is in Iraq, so I can see where she might be lonely and in need of some social time, but I'm afraid that social time is teetering on being at my expense.

In other news, I have a fatigue/weakness update. My doctor got my blood work back today. It was inconclusive, but he wants me to start a low dose of a thyroid supplement and give it a shot for the next two months to see if I start feeling better. I hope it works! I'm not crazy about the thought of having to take that kind of medicine forever, but I'm even less crazy about being completely worn out. At least I might have come up with a fashionable ailment, though. Isn't Oprah on a thyroid supplement, too?
Old 06-18-2008, 12:52 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 264.5/258.9/150

Height: 5 '4'

Stuck in grad school- I saw on rachel Ray something to do with your situation. The guest had lost a ton of weight and also all her overweight friends. They say this is very common with weight loss. I think that your friend is very jealous of you accomplishments and does not know how to handle it. I can see that she needs a friend right now but this is your health at stake. Hopefully she will lay off and see that you need her to do this as your friend. Hang in there.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 294/271/165

Height: 5"7

So I had a great NSV over the weekend. It has always been my dream to learn to scuba dive, but I was always too afraid to do it because I was soooooo big and had health problems (BP and borderline diabetic). I was afraid there wouldn't be a wetsuit big enough to fit me and that when I went to the class they would laugh and tell me I was too overweight to dive. But I DID IT this weekend! I didn't have any problems and didn't feel too selfconcious in the wetsuit. I actually wasn't the biggest person there and I fit into an XL wetsuit. We are going to Aruba and Curacao in two weeks and I GET TO DIVE there!! I can't believe it! I wouldn't have even thought about doing it 47 lbs ago!

YEAH!!! That is SOOOO awesome!! Congrats to you!! I"m so proud

I know exactly how you felt, cause I still feel the same way!! I want to go parasailing, but don't dare until I get a lot of this weight off. That's my plan though, and I will go parasailing, and ride all the ride at Disney World!!
GREAT JOB!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 09:16 AM   #49  

[QUOTE=stuck in grad school;2231029]Has anyone been successful in fending off chronic saboteurs?

I contemplated getting back on MRC for several months and deliberately started this plan AFTER all my friends and frequent lunch dates had left town for the summer, and left to my own devices I did a great job of staying on plan and being content. Over the course of the last couple of weeks, however, some of these folks have started drifting back into town. One in particular is giving me a world of grief over my diet.

I have repeatedly stated that I am making a conscientious choice to improve my health so that I do not develop Type 2 diabetes and do not have to have foot surgery. This person has the desk directly behind me in our little grad student office, and we spend several hours a day together. She is constantly offering me candy, potato chips, and tuna fish salads, all of which I normally wouldn't eat anyway. I have thus far successfully declined all such offers, but she is constantly telling me that my diet is too restrictive and that I really need more sugar and more salt and that what I'm doing looks too much like Atkins and that isn't healthy. I've tried to make it clear that my doctor is monitoring me and isn't going to let me do anything that would make me sick, but it sure would help my case if I hadn't been such a rag doll the entire time she's been back. I think the most frustrating thing is that she is constantly badgering me to go to various greasy spoons for lunch or join her for dinner for things that are off plan, and she doesn't seem willing to acknowledge or accomodate my new eating preferences. I'm finding that I'm starting to really resent her, and I'm angry with myself for not having been able to nip it in the bud. This girl just had a baby and her husband is in Iraq, so I can see where she might be lonely and in need of some social time, but I'm afraid that social time is teetering on being at my expense.

I think it's time to tell her again, nicely, but firming, "I understand your trying to be my friend, but, this is something I'm doing for me under my Doctor's supervision, so please stop offering me candy and other things that are not on my plan. If you truely want to be my friend, then support my decision."
And leave it at that. See how she starts acting then. If she continues, then she is not a friend, and I would just ignore her as best you can.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:36 AM   #50  
Sharon

S/C/G: 255

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryrhubarbpie View Post
All of those look really good, thank you! I have a question about the Cheeseburger Soup II - how many servings does the recipe make? I'm assuming 4 but thought I would ask first
Yes. It does make 4 servings. Sorry... I should have said that. If you are unsure about each serving being equal, you can measure the meat and veggie into 4 containers after they are cooked and just divide the liquid evenly into the 4 containers. (The cheese just melts away into the liquid). I hope this makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
I'm back!
I had to take a break to adjust to a new medication that took my appetite away. Normally I would have been thrilled, but after I while it was a bit difficult. I was hardly eating at all and my blood sugar dropped. If I tried to eat, I would have nausea. Glad that side effect is gone and my appetite is returning.I haven't gained or lost actually. I was down a few lbs last week but it must have been water weight or I'm retaining now. Just getting back OP today and will go weigh in on Saturday.
Glad you are back. Hope you get to feeling better, too!

Quote:
You know, that doesn't sound bad at all, I will have to try it. I actually really like cottage cheese so I think I will like it! Hey I have a question about the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray. Does anyone use this? I've been using it since day 1, on my bread and veggies, but I haven't exactly been following the serving size. I just spritz away until the toast is covered -- I would guess around 10 sprays. Then for dinner, I'll put another 10 or so sprays on the vegetables. Do you think this is bad? Will it stop me from losing weight if I continue using the stuff like this? Does anyone have any experience with using too much ICBINB and not losing weight?
I sometimes get a little spray heavy with the ICBINB too! I don't use it every day though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIBOUNDBY40 View Post
I know exactly how you felt, cause I still feel the same way!! I want to go parasailing, but don't dare until I get a lot of this weight off. That's my plan though, and I will go parasailing, and ride all the ride at Disney World!!
GREAT JOB!!!

You keep going and YOU will get to do all of this! I have always worried about being too big to fit into chairs, rides, etc. I know I still have a lot to lose, and that I am still big, but I figured what the heck...there are alot of very active size 18/20 people out there!!!! I am beginning to feel less and less like I am always the biggest person in the room, building, group. AND IT FEELS GOOD!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck in grad school View Post
Has anyone been successful in fending off chronic saboteurs? One in particular is giving me a world of grief over my diet.

She is constantly offering me candy, potato chips, and tuna fish salads, all of which I normally wouldn't eat anyway. I have thus far successfully declined all such offers, but she is constantly telling me that my diet is too restrictive and that I really need more sugar and more salt and that what I'm doing looks too much like Atkins and that isn't healthy.... she doesn't seem willing to acknowledge or accomodate my new eating preferences. I'm finding that I'm starting to really resent her, and I'm angry with myself for not having been able to nip it in the bud.

In other news, I have a fatigue/weakness update. My doctor got my blood work back today. It was inconclusive, but he wants me to start a low dose of a thyroid supplement and give it a shot for the next two months to see if I start feeling better. I hope it works! I'm not crazy about the thought of having to take that kind of medicine forever, but I'm even less crazy about being completely worn out. At least I might have come up with a fashionable ailment, though. Isn't Oprah on a thyroid supplement, too?
Do you have the "Beware the Feeder" information from MRC? If you have it, you need to read it! Let me know if you don't have it and I will try to scan and post it on here. They warned me about this same thing when I began.

Here are several Quotes from the paper:

"Anytime of year, you must be on the lookout for a creature that seeks people who are trying to lose weight...THE FEEDER! Feeders come in all shapes, sizes, and ages, but they have one common characteristic-they will try to deter you from your program."

"Their motivations differ, but the results they aim for are the same-to see your effort go down the drain."

"YOU OWE KNOW ONE AN APOLOGY FOR GOING ON A PROGRAM AND HELPING YOUR HEALTH AND APPEARANCE!"

She may or may not realize what she is doing, but you need to stick to your guns and don't let her derail you.

Last edited by snflrgrl1962; 06-18-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:05 AM   #51  

Jennifer ... our center says a maximum of 15 sprays a day --- just try to get inn 7 well-placed on your toast each time, or all 15 if you're only using it once a day.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #52  
Em

S/C/G: 170

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelish View Post
ShineOn - thanks for the comment about the plateau. I weighed in on Monday (day 10 on program) with no loss. My consultant said "I guess maybe its an early plateau, I got a little parinoid that I had done something wrong. Thanks for the reminder that plateaus are normal!
Alisha
Yep - she should've said it's THE early plateau. Most all of us experience it. Mine hit after about a week & lasted 10 days (I bounced up & down half a pound on my home scale for those 10 days).
Old 06-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #53  
Em

S/C/G: 170

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck in grad school View Post
Has anyone been successful in fending off chronic saboteurs?

Did you get a sheet from your center called "Beware the Feeder"? It talks about the different types of feeder/saboteurs. There's an excellent quote in it (and the caps are theirs):

YOU OWE NO ONE ANY EXPLANATION OR APOLOGY FOR GOING ON A PROGRAM AND HELPING YOUR HEALTH AND APPEARANCE.

It suggests a book called When I Say No, I Feel Guilty by Manuel Smith if you need help being more assertive (not directing this just towards you, mind you - but everyone ). And one suggestion is if these people won't back off, tell them your center is doing a study on attitudes of people towards people on weight loss programs & they'd love to talk with her, can you give them her name & number?

In your particular case, when she mentions going to a greasy spoon or whatever, if there's really nothing there you can eat, assuming you want to socialize with her just tell her "Nah, the thought of all that stuff makes me kinda nauseous - how about going to Ruby Tuesday's instead (or Arby's if it's fast food, just wherever you can go to get something onplan).

By the way, if she thinks this is like Atkins (which isn't really that unhealthy anyway, by the way) or she thinks anyone needs MORE salt or sugar, she really needs an education in nutrition! The best thing is to just stick with your program & be successful - she might just end up going to sign up herself

And yep, Oprah has thyroid issues. So does my husband (had to have half of his removed). It's amazing actually how many people do. I'm kinda borderline myself. Hope it'll help with your fatigue.

By the way - if you don't have that "Beware the Feeder" sheet I can try to scan it & send to you...

Last edited by Meemo; 06-18-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:14 PM   #54  
Crystal

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
Losing 6 lbs of water weight is a wonderful thing - I've said it before, but anyone who's retained water when PMSing knows how miserable those extra lbs make you feel. So YAY! for losing water weight! The fat follows.

And even though it seems contrary - drinking all that water helps flush out the water bloat - when you're hydrating properly your body doesn't feel the need to hang on to the bloat.
This part was so hard for me to comprehend at first. It seems so backward. But, time has shown me that it's true. I'm just stubborn I guess.

Quote:
You know, that doesn't sound bad at all, I will have to try it. I actually really like cottage cheese so I think I will like it!

Hey I have a question about the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray. Does anyone use this? I've been using it since day 1, on my bread and veggies, but I haven't exactly been following the serving size. I just spritz away until the toast is covered -- I would guess around 10 sprays. Then for dinner, I'll put another 10 or so sprays on the vegetables. Do you think this is bad? Will it stop me from losing weight if I continue using the stuff like this? Does anyone have any experience with using too much ICBINB and not losing weight?
Yeah...I can't just stop with at few squirts either. That's why I don't do well with the Salad Spritzers either. But, I don't use ICBINB on my veggies. I only use it when I have toast. So, doing it every day may have an affect. I really don't know. We are all sensitive to different things making us go out of ketosis it seems, so it may very well be something you can get away with that someone else may not. Just watch you losses - if you aren't losing much try laying off the ICBINB & see if it makes a difference. I love cheese, but figured out that very much of it makes me stall.

Sorry couldn't be of more help on that one.

Last edited by blueyedangel; 06-18-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #55  

Default tomato's question

Ok, I'm having a really hard time understanding the problem with cooked tomatoes. I found a box of diced tomatoes from Italy at Walmart this weekend ( mostly soupy, like stewed) with No Sodium, and only 4 grams of sugar in the WHOLE box. I made a turkey chilli with it today, and it will make 4 servings, so that is LESS than 1 gram of sugar per serving. Does anybody else know why this is besides the fact that they want us to use their tomato supplements???

Thanks for the help!!
Old 06-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #56  
stephbehrlan

S/C/G: 261/261/165

Just wanted to post that I put my HNS on an online auction today, hopefully one of you can save some money. Thanks, Steph
Good Luck and God Bless to each of you!! I had to bow out for health reasons.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 205.5/171.5/145

Height: 5'4.5"

hey Steph! I just bought 5 boxes at the center yesterday as I was almost completely out of the majority ones that I use on a daily basis but I will most definitely check out your stuff! Best of luck to you in your journey off plan! Hang in there! I miss ya~!!
Old 06-18-2008, 01:15 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 205.5/171.5/145

Height: 5'4.5"

I can not figure out how to update my tracker to show the recent amount of weight that I lost. Any idea how to do that?? Maybe I need to switch tickers.

Sharisse
Old 06-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #59  
This is the Last Time!

S/C/G: 172/*ticker*/115

Height: 5'2"

Click on your ticker and go into the ticker factory and redo with your current weight. It should give you a new URL for the ticker with your new weight. It's pretty easy. LMK if it doesn't work and PM me and I'll try to do it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamperedmomoftwins View Post
I can not figure out how to update my tracker to show the recent amount of weight that I lost. Any idea how to do that?? Maybe I need to switch tickers.

Sharisse
Old 06-18-2008, 01:45 PM   #60  
Jennifer

S/C/G: 206/187.5/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyedangel View Post
No, you shouldn't do them all at once. The flax helps to fill your stomach so you don't want to eat as much. I bought a little 2 section pill box and put all my pills in it for the day...lunch & dinner. I take my morning pills with my HNS before I leave for work. Maybe that would work for you also.
I just use one of those small gladware containers, the 1/2 cup or 4 oz. size, to put all my pills in for the day. I use the same size container to put my olive oil/vinegar/mrs.dash/splenda mixture to take with me to work for my salad.
Closed Thread