Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #241  
Em

S/C/G: 170

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3monkeysmomma View Post
Angie, I have heard alot about the steam bags. I have been worried though, I am real weird-freaky about some stuff and one of the things I worry about with those is that not long ago I watched a program on TV about how to never heat your food up in the microwave in plastic or plastic bags because there is a chemical in plastic that is released at high temps and the moisture in the bags causes it to drip onto your food and that chemical is a carcinogin (causes cancer, bad spelling I think?) My sister uses them and thinks I am ******ed for being afraid to use them. I know everyone is thinking OCD now lol. But I can't bring myself to feed my kids something that might have those kind of chemicals in it. I had read that a few years ago but figure it was just more bull but then I watched on TV, I think it was Dr. Oz if anyone is familiar with him, and he is reputable. Thinking it was on TLC. Did anyone else see it?
If you check on snopes.com http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cookplastic.asp
They pretty much refute this, especially in plastics that are made specifically for microwaving.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:37 PM   #242  
Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopingirl View Post
[B]
I asked about the foot/leg cramp issue this morning at my center. Although I told them that there are several of us on here that are having this issue, it was recommended to me that I need to tell my doctor. I go back to see the internal medicine doctor on Wednesday, so I guess I will have to wait until then for some clearer guidelines on what to do. I did do one positive thing, though. I got some "earth therapeutics" socks from Bed, Bath & Beyond that you heat a gel insole in your microwave, and then you slip it in a little pouch on the bottom of the sock. It kept my feet warm most of the night, and I only had one major foot/ankle cramp last night. That's a whole lot better than it has been!
Congrats on the 60 lbs! That's GREAT!!!
When I was low-carbing I had leg cramps, I took an OTC potassium to keep them at bay. I always attributed them to the water I was drinking. Oddly, I never really had them much with MRC, but it might be because of the vitamins & calcium I was taking. (I know low calcium can cause leg cramps when you're pregnant.)
The oddest suggestion I heard on avoiding leg cramps - put a bar of soap under the sheets at the foot of your bed. No clue why or how THAT'S supposed to work, but I tried it! Also not sure whether it worked or not since I was probably also taking potassium at the time. (Just one a day since I do know too much can mess with your heart function.)
Old 03-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #243  
Bonnie

Quote:
3monkeysmamma: We can't have "ANYTHING" canned?
I used almost all canned veggies before and had the same thought at first. Now I use almost all frozen with a good dose of fresh. Your local Sam's Club or Costco is your best friend for veggies-both fresh and frozen. I get a HUGE bag of green beans or broccoli for under $4. I find that for fresh, I go to a local supermarket that I usually wouldn't shop at for groceries but has a great produce selection. It might just be a mental thing but the veggies are higher quality and it seems to motivate me to eat them more willingly. I've compared prices vs. Super Wal-Mart (where I do buy most of my groceries) and the produce isn't that much more. Once you get accustomed to not eating canned stuff, try some again and you'll see why they don't want us eating it.

Meemo: thanks for the link about the bags - I was having some of the same paranoia

MSTeacher: Awesome on the inches!!
Old 03-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #244  
Pat

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/150

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytobethinagain View Post
Just something that I have found since I've been doing MRC b/c I really can't afford to buy all fresh. In the frozen section, you can now buy these bags called "steamfresh"by bird's eye. I buy the broccoli and the cauliflower . you throw them in the microwave, bag and all, and they are done. AND PERFECT!! I just can't believe how great they taste!!! And there is NOTHING in them except the veggies. And also there is also a box from green giant that is simply steam, no sauce. I get the asparagus...holy moly, they are great!!

Just the small amount of knowledge I have obtained in the past month or so!! Hope it helps!!
I love those steamed fresh veggies by Birdseye. They have some great choices and they are so easy to prepare and good.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #245  
I'm on my way...

S/C/G: 264/246/135

Height: 5'3"

Default I signed the 10 pound board!

OMG in 3 weeks I have lost 11 pounds!

I'm amazed at how much better I feel and about how so much of this has just become, what I do!

Thanks for being here!

I had been avoiding my Fitday for a while - before MRC, because I didn't want to record all the junk, but since then, because I was afraid that the calories on the plan might be really low. Today, I conquered my fear and I'm glad, since the diet is very balance and the calories are reasonable... LOL!

Last edited by mirihawk; 03-08-2008 at 02:52 PM. Reason: something to add
Old 03-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #246  
Bringin' Sexy Back

S/C/G: 275/ticker/175

Way to go on the great wi's and measurements.
I too, get to join you, I wi'd in early today, and was down 2 more pounds, since Wednesday! Woohoo! I am only 2 pounds from my mini St Patty's day goal, and 2 pounds from the 70 pound board!
Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Last edited by Goal4Life; 03-08-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #247  
Terri

S/C/G: 186/170/140

Height: 5'5

Default Wow

Way to go everyone. I can't believe all the great reports on WI. You are all so incouraging. You really make me feel like I can do this. Some days it seems so easy and others I feel like I will never make it. But I listen (read) to all of your stories and get all of your great advice and I feel stronger. You make me excited. I am looking forward to summer for the first time in a long time. I have always loved winter. I can cover up in sweaters and jackets and feel ok. But the thought of summer would always make me depressed. Bathing suits, shorts, short sleeve shirts, just the thought of it would make me want to cry. But I know I will be ok this summer. Bring on the pool parties!! I'll be ready. And so will all of you guys.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #248  
Terri

S/C/G: 186/170/140

Height: 5'5

One more thing. My 7yr old and I went for a bike ride today, it is a beautiful day here, and he was the one crying to go home. I wore him out. I loved it. I felt so good. We road all over town for about and hour then we played in the yard for a while. Something in my mind has changed. I guess it thinks that as long as I'm eating right I might as well move more too. I can really tell a difference in how I feel. In just a little over a week. I can't wait to see what happens after I've been on MRC for a while. Hope ya'll are having a great weekend too!!!
Terri

Does anyone know if it is ok to use balsamic vinegar and olive oil on your salad. I'm out of the wishbone spray. any ideas what to do?????

Last edited by zackzmom; 03-08-2008 at 06:56 PM. Reason: adding
Old 03-08-2008, 07:07 PM   #249  
Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackzmom View Post
One more thing. My 7yr old and I went for a bike ride today, it is a beautiful day here, and he was the one crying to go home. I wore him out. I loved it. I felt so good. We road all over town for about and hour then we played in the yard for a while. Something in my mind has changed. I guess it thinks that as long as I'm eating right I might as well move more too. I can really tell a difference in how I feel. In just a little over a week. I can't wait to see what happens after I've been on MRC for a while. Hope ya'll are having a great weekend too!!!
Terri

Does anyone know if it is ok to use balsamic vinegar and olive oil on your salad. I'm out of the wishbone spray. any ideas what to do?????
Part of it is mental, and part is physical - when you're giving your body better fuel it runs better Imagine that - now if I could just figure out how to keep that in my own mind every single day!
Olive oil is great. Don't think they're quite as happy about balsamic vinegar as they would be about regular, but if it's just a touch it's probably fine. (Balsamic has a lot higher concentration of sugar in it.)
Old 03-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #250  
MRC started March 8, 2008

S/C/G: 258/189/150

Height: 5'7"

Omg! This is the biggest salad I have ever had in front of me! It seems like this should be wrong but I weighed everything. Seems like I should not be allowed such a huge lovely salad. This is what this monster has in it:
8 oz. veggies include: Lettuce, Broccoli, mushrooms, tomatoes
6 oz. protein includes: grilled turkey (2 oz.) boiled egg (2 oz.) low fat cottage cheese (2 oz.) I like variety. And I still have to have my fruit but I will make it dessert. I hope I can get it all down, that's seems like alot of food.
I found some turkey (I guess you would call them turkey steaks?) that was cut very very thin, it is white meat. I grilled it on the stove with a little pam and I seasoned the turkey with garlic powder, sea salt, pepper, onion powder and paprika and it turned out really good, little spice to it, yum. I used the ceaser salad spritzer and the cottage cheese helps knock out the dryness of the salad.
Also for breakfast I had breakfast burrito with the 50 cal tortilla and 1 egg and 2 oz. cheese, but man that seemed like alot of cheese also. I used hard cheddar and shredded it but it seemed like sooooo much cheese for 1 small burrito. The scale I have is brand new. I guess I am wanting someone to calm me down and tell me it seemed like alot to them at first too.

3monkeysmomma

Last edited by 3monkeysmomma; 03-08-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #251  
Mommato3

S/C/G: 199.5/163.5/149.5

Height: 5.7

Your scale is not wrong! I felt the same way in the beginning, and thought that there was no way I could lose weight eating that much food! I have never been much of a meat eater (not for any reason other than I just don't like it much), so the protein is sorta hard for me. My husband laughs, because he says this is the most meat I've eaten since he's known me! Of course, as a Texas Ag teacher, he LOVES meat. My counselor at MRC told me in the beginning, that I would be like "you mean I have to eat all of this food?" I didn't believe her until I started on the menus. So, calm down and enjoy your dinner!
Old 03-08-2008, 11:39 PM   #252  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
If you check on snopes.com http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cookplastic.asp
They pretty much refute this, especially in plastics that are made specifically for microwaving.
Thanks Meemo, I feel better now that I know a little more. I am going to try those bags now, here is a little of the info from the "safe microwaving" link that was on that sight that I thought some others, that may worry about it like me, might find useful.

Remove food from packaging before defrosting. Do not use foam trays and plastic wraps because they are not heat stable at high temperatures. Melting or warping may cause harmful chemicals to migrate into food.

Reheating in the Microwave Oven
Cover foods with a lid or a microwave-safe plastic wrap to hold in moisture and provide safe, even heating.
Heat ready-to-eat foods such as hot dogs, luncheon meats, fully cooked ham, and leftovers until steaming hot.
After reheating foods in the microwave oven, allow standing time. Then, use a clean food thermometer to check that food has reached 165 °F.
Containers and Wraps
Only use cookware that is specially manufactured for use in the microwave oven. Glass, ceramic containers, and all plastics should be labeled for microwave oven use.
Plastic storage containers such as margarine tubs, take-out containers, whipped topping bowls, and other one-time use containers should not be used in microwave ovens. These containers can warp or melt, possibly causing harmful chemicals to migrate into the food.
Microwave plastic wraps, wax paper, cooking bags, parchment paper, and white microwave-safe paper towels should be safe to use. Do not let plastic wrap touch foods during microwaving.
Never use thin plastic storage bags, brown paper or plastic grocery bags, newspapers, or aluminum foil in the microwave oven

I'm so glad you posted that sight because the convenience of those bags would make things so much easier.

3monkeysmomma
Old 03-08-2008, 11:43 PM   #253  
Bonnie

Quote:
3monkeys: grilled turkey (2 oz.) boiled egg (2 oz.) low fat cottage cheese (2 oz.)
Hate to be the spoiler but especially if this was dinner...check your menu on the protein. I think the egg counts as half of your 6 oz. ('cause you only get two if you choose a level one protein) and I think you're not supposed to have level one at dinner. I think that tripped me up in the beginning.

It is true though if you have salad for your veggies, it's an unbelievable amount of food! Better than starvin' to death and you're still losing!!
Old 03-08-2008, 11:44 PM   #254  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomaze View Post
Once you get accustomed to not eating canned stuff, try some again and you'll see why they don't want us eating it.

bomaze, thanks for the tips and your probably right, I probably will end up liking fresh better than canned once I get used to it, it just threw me for a loop. I am so use to using canned food I almost felt panicked as dorky as that sounds.

3monkeysmomma
Old 03-08-2008, 11:53 PM   #255  
Bonnie

Okay. I finally felt brave enough to post a picture, so changed my avatar to a shot my daughter took of me a few weeks ago. Pictures "before" are rare but I'll try to find one and stick it in my profile.
Closed Thread