Old 01-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #1  

Default Fess up! How much % muscle are you?

I'm 48% muscle. I was actually surprised as I thought it was much less.
corisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #2  
Female Age 33

S/C/G: 231/193/165

Height: 5'5"

I don' know... My center says they can only calculate the fat % ?!!!!
HowdyTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #3  

I read my slip totally wrong. I'm 46%fat, so I'm 54% muscle. I'm trying to keep track to make sure I don't lose muscle mass throughout this whole deal.
corisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #4  
Female Age 33

I just had mine read on Friday.. I don't know how to read this slip. Fat % shows 43... But BMI shows 33 which dropped from 45 in the beginning! So I guess that's good!!!
Old 01-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #5  
Not giving up!

S/C/G: 123.5/no scale/happy & healthy

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by corisimo View Post
I read my slip totally wrong. I'm 46%fat, so I'm 54% muscle. I'm trying to keep track to make sure I don't lose muscle mass throughout this whole deal.
Fat + muscle does not equal 100% of your body mass corisimo. You have a skeleton and lots of water in there too. Their scales will calculate your amount of muscle and water but I'm not sure if it's in percentage ratios or pounds. Make them explain it to you - some of the gals are better than others at it. But their goal is also that you don't lose muscle throughout your weight loss journey with them. So they will be watching those numbers too. Do you get to have a copy of your slip? Mine are all stapled in my chart.

Last edited by Going4Fit; 01-21-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Going4Fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #6  
Female Age 33

Hi Going4Fit! It sounds like your center is more with it than mine! They only have even done my reading one other time in the 17 weeks I've been with them! (besides the initial reading) And I had to request it to be done the last time. I am going to make them explain it to me better; they simply just showed me the difference between it and my initial one. Not much of any explanation of what it all meant! I asked about the muscle mass % and was told that they didn't know how to do that! I'll talk to a different counselor next time and see what response I get. Great job too btw!!
Old 01-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #7  
Not giving up!

S/C/G: 123.5/no scale/happy & healthy

Height: 5'8"

HowdyTexas, thanks so much for the compliment. I love my green menu and my new body!

My center is like everyone else's I bet, in that all the counselors work on commission and in my opinion, want to do the least amount of work possible to earn that commission. They are supposed to do a body comp and your measurements on sign-up, two weeks later, and then each month after that. Every single month I have to remind them/ask them to do it. Sometimes they'll at least do the body comp when I remind them, but rarely my measurements - they will almost always tell me they'll write it in my chart to be done next time I come in (hoping I suppose, that another counselor will have to do it), even when I'm the only client there.

I bet what the scale calculates is how much water you're carrying, your bodyfat %, and then the difference of all that and your total weight would be your lean body mass. That would include your muscle, organs, and skeleton. Since your organs and skeleton won't change, then seeing differences in your lean body mass number would indicate changes in muscle.

Anyway, they told me that a typical 50 lb weight loss would see anywhere from 5 to 10 lbs of muscle loss. On their plan they claim you'll only see a 1 to 2 lb muscle loss at the most. And I can personally attest to the validity of their claims - I have lost 50 lbs dieting on my own in the past and could not fit into the same size clothes at the same weights, so my body composition is definitely different.
Going4Fit is offline   Reply With Quote