Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #391  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Ranch Chicken Fingers

OK, New Recipe for all of you that is absolutely delicious... I got the idea from the ranch seasoning mix commercial I've seen a few times in the past week, decided to give it a try, it was a huge hit with family & I... here goes:

Ranch Chicken Fingers:

Ingredients:
16-20 Roasted Garlic Melba Toast Rounds
2 lbs of boneless skinless chicken brst
1 packet of ranch dressing mix/seasoning
2-3 tbsp of olive oil
cracked black pepper to taste
pam olive oil spray

Directions: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Pour 2-3 tbsp of Olive Oil into a large glass casserole dish and set aside. Place Melba toast into food processor and grind until the consistency of bread crumbs (or crush in a baggy by hand until fine). Place into a mixing bowl, add packet of ranch dressing mix and several twists of freshly cracked black pepper then mix all together. Slice chicken into long strips. Place 1/4 of the chicken at a time into mixture and coat evenly then place into casserole dish until all chicken coated and in dish. Pour remaining melba toast mixture over chicken. Spray all chicken with pam olive oil cooking spray. Cover with foil and bake 10-15 minutes, uncover and increase oven temp to Broil and bake another 7-10 minutes until chicken is done and crispy.

Makes 8 - 4 oz servings
Accounts for 1 protein (4 oz.) and approx 1/2 bread serving

Incidental discovery:
Some of the melba toast was more coursely cut than the rest of the bread crumbs and when I poured it over the chicken, it settled to the bottom of the pan. When this came out of the oven it was absolutely divine and reminded me very much of a delicious stuffing, the melba toast had plumped up just like stuffing does when moisture is added. It was sooooooooo goood that I plan to attempt to make stuffing this way in the very near future and I will post that recipe when I've tried it. I bet this would be so wonderful with our Thanksgiving Turkey!

Last edited by Karen1234; 09-15-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #392  

S/C/G: 173/165.5/145

Height: 5'2

OMG Thank you so much, I made the chicken tonight it was awesome!!
Old 09-14-2009, 05:50 AM   #393  

S/C/G: 311/ticker/150

Height: 5-5

Had the french toast - YUM!!!! New favorite! Than you for posting!
Old 09-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #394  

Default Homemade Chicken Soup - Crock Pot Style!

OK all my coughing and hacking little friends... what did Mama say you needed whenever you were sick? SOUP!! Chicken Noodle soup ofcourse. And with the weather changing and fall nearly upon us, what better time to have some... Here's a recipe I came up with the other night, made it in a crock pot and was good for the whole family, not just me... Give it a try, we loved it and it was a real timesaver! Note: I added the potatoes & carrots to flavor the broth and for my family to have. These are optional and not for you to eat, LOL! I made the pot up the night before and refrigerated until the next morning, placed it in the crock pot on high all day and voila, chicken soup! I boiled the egg noodles seperately before dinner and added this to their bowls only.

Chicken Noodle Soup:
3 chicken breasts on bone skin removed
Italian Flat Leaf Parsley (prefer fresh) approx 1/2 a bunch, leaves chopped coursley
1 bundle of celery, chop 1/2 and leave rest at approx 3" length
1/2 cup green onions chopped
1 package of frozen mixed vegetables (or substitute frozen green beans)
2 Idaho baking potatoes (optional - peeled and cut into 3 pieces each)
1 Bag of Baby Carrots (optional)
paprika about 1/2 - 1 tsp
cracked pepper to taste
1/4 to 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (to your preference as far as spicy)
sea salt to taste
Oregano 1/2 tsp
Water
1 big oval or very tall crock pot
Egg Noodles (optional)
1 tbsp olive oil

Directions: In large crock pot, pour in 1 tbsp of olive oil then place 3 chicken breasts at bottom of pot. If your crock is not wide enough, I suggest only using 2 breasts. Season with some sea salt and cracked pepper. Next Add remainder of seasonings, Oregano, Crushed red pepper flakes, paprika. Add Onions, Carrots, Celery (I like to put in the normal chopped pieces and as well as alot of large 3" pieces that are easier to fish out later for me), 3/4 to 1 Bag of frozen veggies, potatoes. I then seasoned again with sea salt and pepper and add water until it covered all the vegetables. Cook on High all day in crock pot. When you get home, add more water if needed and cont at low heat for next 1/2 hr. If no water needed, turn down heat to warm. Remove the 3 chicken breasts with bones, fish out any bones from in soup. Pull meat off bones and set aside. Boil Egg noodles in a pot on the stove, drain and set aside (remember kiddies, this is for the family not you). Finally, weigh out your chicken, veggies and put in a bowl. Add broth from soup. For family I put their pasta and chicken in their bowl then add the rest of the soup with veggies to it. This recipe has a little spice/zing from the crushed red pepper that is really good. If you like tomatoes, you might consider adding these as well.

I can't imagine why we can't use homemade chicken broth, it's not a lot, maybe 10 calories per cup and you can control the salt yourself.

Hope you like it!
Old 09-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #395  

S/C/G: 224/214/150

I made this last night and thought that I would share it with all of you...

Jerk Chicken

1 tbsp Lime Juice
2 pks of sweetener
1/2 tsp garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
2 1/2 tsp jerk seasoning
2 tbsp water
1 1/2 lbs chicken

Make the marinade in a plastic bag. Pound the chicken until its a 1/2 inch thick and marinade for at least 10 minutes (I like a stronger flavor so I let it marinade for 30 to 40 minutes) place if on the grill 5 -7 minutes per side.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #396  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimtpa View Post
I made this last night and thought that I would share it with all of you...

Jerk Chicken

1 tbsp Lime Juice
2 pks of sweetener
1/2 tsp garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
2 1/2 tsp jerk seasoning
2 tbsp water
1 1/2 lbs chicken

Make the marinade in a plastic bag. Pound the chicken until its a 1/2 inch thick and marinade for at least 10 minutes (I like a stronger flavor so I let it marinade for 30 to 40 minutes) place if on the grill 5 -7 minutes per side.

I love jerk chicken... I'll have to try this one! Thanks :0)
Old 09-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #397  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 225/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Metabolic Queso

12 oz Muenster cheese

2 pkgs. cream of chicken supplement

12 ounce water (more if needed)

1 diced tomato

Chopped jalapenos

Mix all ingredients together. Heat in crock pot or microwave.

Replaces protein.

Warning!!! This makes ALOT of dip so if you are the only one eating it, I'd halve the recipe.

I eat it with all the veggies that are allowed.

Put some on top of your chicken with spaghetti squash and sauteed mushrooms.mmmm, I just made that up and it sounds soooo good. I know what I'm having for dinner. LOL

As I was posting this I realized that it has cooked tomatoes, so I called the MRC that gave me the recipe to see what was up with that. They said it's fine as long as we limit it to once every other week and that it's such a small amount it won't hurt anything. I thought we could add the tomato after heating, maybe that would be of some help, if you didn't want to have cooked tomatoes.

UPDATE: I had the chicken spaghetti squash mushroom queso recipe and it was good. Close to chicken fettuccine with alfredo sauce. I can have 6oz of chicken so what I did was 4 oz chicken 2oz queso.

Last edited by learning2Bhealthy; 09-18-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #398  

S/C/G: 224/214/150

Salsa Chicken

1 1# container of FRESH Salsa
1 package of Taco seasoning
1 cup of water
1# of chicken breasts

put everything in your crock pot and let it go. Shred the chicken when its done. I like to eat it over a salad. Hope you like it. or in some flat bread for lunch.

I talked with my counselor yesterday and said as long as the salsa is fresh we can eat it.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:35 PM   #399  

S/C/G: 313/Going down/175

Height: 5'2"

Anyone have tuna recipes to share? I've had it with MRC mayo, but, I'd really like something similar to tuna and noodle casserole. Maybe using spagetti squash?
Old 09-22-2009, 10:22 PM   #400  
jeanette

S/C/G: 170/139/140

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepeanut View Post
Anyone have tuna recipes to share? I've had it with MRC mayo, but, I'd really like something similar to tuna and noodle casserole. Maybe using spagetti squash?
There are 2 recipes on the MRC Recipe Blog http://mrcrecipes.blogspot.com/search/label/tuna

The Dijonaise was too spicy for me so I mixed it half and half with the MRC mayo. I also mix the MRC mayo with the dry Hidden Valley Ranch dressing. I never put any sweetener in mine, but I do put spices or garlic or onion powder.

Interesting thing, I looked up Mayonnaise in my old Joy of Cooking cookbook and the recipe before store bought mayo was available is identical to MRC mayo. You can use vinegar instead of lemon juice (try Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar which is a live vinegar). I think people just got used to the brand of mayo they like and don't know what "real" mayo tasted like. I also discovered that Miracle Whip Salad Dressing AND Light Miracle Whip both have High Fructose Corn Syrup in them. I will not be buying either of them again no matter what my husband says - he can buy if if he wants but he is the one that turned me onto how bad HFCS is for you.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #401  

Thanks Jeanette. I need to get the creamy chicken HNS and try the tuna casserole.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #402  
Lynn

S/C/G: 216/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
the tuna casserole out of the MRC cookbook (I'm not sure if it's the same as what's in the blog or not) is excellent!!
Old 09-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #403  

Height: 5'9"

Default Mock Potato Salad

Our center had a "Tailgate" cooking class a couple of weeks ago and a consultant at our center made this great mock potato salad she called Pretend Potato Salad, it was good, however I changed it up a bit to allow for the taste of dill pickles, as I love pickles in my potato salad! I made it yesterday and let it chill all night and had it for lunch today with mesquite grilled chicken OMG the salad was soooo good. The recipe replaces 8oz raw veggies
Here goes my version...

6oz cauliflower - her recipe states raw, however I bought frozen and microwaved until cooked - fast and easy.
1oz green onion
1oz cucumber - chopped small like pickles (her recipe states celery - chopped)
2 teaspoons Yes Mayo (MRC Cookbook)
1/2 teaspoon mustard - I probably added a little bit more
1/4 teaspoon of dill (she called for celery seed)
Paprika - as you like (optional)

Boil or steam raw cauliflower in salted water until tender, (I microwaved frozen cauliflower without salt and chopped small), drain and cool. Mix together Yes Mayo, mustard & dill (or celery seed). In a large bowl combine cauliflower, green onion, cucumber (or celery), and mayo mixture, garnish with paprika. Chill and serve
Old 09-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #404  

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmama View Post
the tuna casserole out of the MRC cookbook (I'm not sure if it's the same as what's in the blog or not) is excellent!!

I'll look for this Lynn, thank you, I must have missed it in the cookbook. Tonight I'm trying spagetti sauce for the first time. I am taking everyone's advice and not using the tomato supplement for spagetti sauce!
Old 09-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #405  

S/C/G: 195/159/133

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I'll look for this Lynn, thank you, I must have missed it in the cookbook. Tonight I'm trying spagetti sauce for the first time. I am taking everyone's advice and not using the tomato supplement for spagetti sauce!

I agree! The tuna casserole is GREAT! I have eaten it the last 2 nights for dinner.....has your protein/veg/carb all in one so you don't have to worry with getting a salad prepared or cooking other veggies. Since the serving size is 1 in the cookbook, I doubled the recipe and that way I had dinner for that night and a quick dinner to reheat for last night. That'll be a "go to" meal for me.

I HATE the tomato supplement....what spaghetti sauce are you trying? I'm interested!
Closed Thread