Old 03-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #1  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Default Dumb stuff I never knew before

You're probably not going to believe this but every other time I have tried to lose weight failed because I simply did not know how to diet, not even the basics. I cannnot believe I was so dumb.

For example, I never used to use a scale. I used to use the mirror.

And I used to think that exercise was the answer when it was really a combination of that with what was going in my mouth. So I would exercise more without changing my eating habits much and - surprise, surprise - nothing would happen.

Now I have a scale and am thinking about calories-in/calories-out it's working.

But I never even knew these basics!

Anyone else miss something dumb? Or is it just me (could be)...

Last edited by IanG; 03-23-2013 at 10:01 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Well, I'm not a man, this this isn't just a man's corner question. We all can learn more!

I didn't realize that all calories were not created equal. I didn't really grasp that foods could leave me full or hungry.

Well, I knew that a salad was bulky and full of fiber, but besides veggie bulk, I didn't really grasp that proteins and fats were filling too.

I thought fats were bad and to be avoided - not true.

I thought that as long as I ate a certain calorie goal, I would be good. That's true, but the foods I eat can allow me to continue to eat at that lower calorie or make me hungrier.

I didn't realize how much my lack of good, adequate sleep played into my weight problem, etc.

I always knew the calories in and calories out thing, but it's so much more complex and it's extremely individual as to what works for long term maintenance.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 03-23-2013 at 10:28 AM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #3  

LOL Melissa, all the ladies have been diving into the Men's Corner boards lately. I answer whatever I see trending at the top.

Ian, I think you are so hard on yourself sometimes. It makes me sad for you!

I never knew how to diet either. And times that I did get lucky enough to lose weight, I never knew there was the requirement to maintain and protect the weightloss I worked so hard to achieve. I just went back to my old habits.

I wish I knew 10 years ago (or more!) that it's really as simple as calories in and calories out and using the scale/clothes/measurements as guides.

I made it far more complicated (and expensive!) than it ever needed to be.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #4  
Sweat Is Fat Crying

S/C/G: 332/259.0/210

Height: 6' 4.5"

It's a learning curve we have to go through that gets easier after time.

If you asked me what a complex carb was 6 weeks ago i'd reply "meh?"

I'm trying to adapt my diet now to shock my metabolism by zig-zagging my caloric intake throughout the week which will trick the body and burn FAT without your body thinking it's going into starvation mode and tries to hold on to all the fat that it can.
IrishLad91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #5  

I wouldn't use just a scale. You're not trying to lose weight - you're trying to lose fat. The scale doesn't show body composition. The mirror may give you some indication of the change in body composition.

Just my $0.02.
brothertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #6  
Sweat Is Fat Crying

S/C/G: 332/259.0/210

Height: 6' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothertoad View Post
I wouldn't use just a scale. You're not trying to lose weight - you're trying to lose fat. The scale doesn't show body composition. The mirror may give you some indication of the change in body composition.

Just my $0.02.
I wouldn't rely too much on the mirror as alot of people would find it very difficult to get motivation from it, it will take quite a while to notice changes.

Atleast with the scales it will tell you what you're doing wrong or right and help you adapt to your own situation. You'll know you're burning fat when you have the correct diet.
IrishLad91 is offline   Reply With Quote