Old 03-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: See sig...

Height: 5'8

Question When will you strength train?

The idea of strength training is not solely within the mail domain, rather it is something enjoyed and experienced by all genders, however I feel the pressure/urge to strength train is does contain an aspect with is uniquely male. Given the exposure to overly developed male physiques in the media do you feel any particular pressure to rush into strength training now that you are paying attention to your body? Are you strength training now? Free weights or machines? Do you agree that strength training in particular holds a certain meaning for men that exceeds it's health benefits? A social pressure, if you will.

However for the women reading. I know that you guys are just smacked in the face with unrealistic body images all over the place. But thinking outside of the ox to do you notice your husbands/boyfriends/brothers'/fathers beginning to feel just as pressured? Do you feel any of the above?

I personally have resisted the urge to strength train (even though i enjoy it quite a bit) because I want to see the weight drop. i gain muscle quick. You can kinda see in my progress pics that I am not a skinny dude. Due to this my weight tends not to budge when I weight train so I decided to just put it off until I reach "onederland" in which case it's b****-out from that point on.

I personally feel a particular push toward a gym body because I live in a beach town-in California. The physiques here are amazing, and frankly create a heavy fog of intimidation. I am hoping this summer I can feel better about myself on the beach than I have previous years.
Bluejaybythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

No, not for me. At least not yet. I am pretty big built anyway so when the weight goes I will look OK, as you will. It must be tough where you are though because of all those beach dudes.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 303/ticker/169

Height: 5'5"

I was on the fence with this as well. I'm convinced that strength training will do nothing to slow down fat loss, even though it may slow overall weight loss.

I'm also kind of paranoid about losing muscle mass as I lose weight, since (as i understand it - i may be wrong) having more muscle mass can help you lose more fat faster. So I'm doing strength training, but only with a kettlebell 3x/week (which is in addition to my usual cardio of elliptical 5x/week). The kettlebell works mostly the core muscles, and some chest/arms with the exercises I've chosen. It's definitely got a cardio aspect to it also - it gets my heart rate going!
Fit dad 2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #4  
Sweat Is Fat Crying

S/C/G: 332/259.0/210

Height: 6' 4.5"

I feel it would be difficult to build muscle and lose weight at the same time, those 2 objectives need different diets.

Me personally when i hit my goal i'll hit the weights.
Bulk and cut for a year then maintain it.

Thats the plan anyway...sounds easy i know.
IrishLad91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 303/ticker/169

Height: 5'5"

The thing is though, when you are losing weight and not maintaining the muscle you have, you are not only losing fat, but you are losing muscle. So it's not necessarily building muscle, but keeping the muscle you've got.

Being as heavy as I am right now, I've got a decent amount of muscle under all this flab, and I want to keep it (the muscle - not the flab). Muscle is a great thing to have on your body, since it helps your body burn calories even when you're not actively strength training.

I'm convinced that doing strength training (in addition to my cardio and staying at my daily calorie target) can only accelerate my fat loss - and that's what I'm really going for - fat loss vs. overall "weight" loss. Faster fat loss means my waist loses inches faster, my man boobs go away faster, my face looks thinner...a whole bunch of good things.

I've noticed that when I started strength training, the scale wasn't moving as fast as it was before, in fact - I've actually gained weight the previous 4 days. This morning was the first time it showed a loss since Mon. - but it was a he// of a loss - 3lbs in one day.

I'm POSITIVE this strength training can't be sabotaging my fat loss, in fact - just the opposite.
Fit dad 2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: See sig...

Height: 5'8

fit dad: you're right... you're not gaining fat you're gaining water thus a little heavier. It is for this exact reason I am opting out of strength training until I am at a weight where slower scale movement wont bother me. I feel I can survive 34 more LBS until I start hittin weights. Common 199 hurry up!
Bluejaybythesea is offline   Reply With Quote