Should men wear jewelry?

• I took the plunge today and bought a simple, matching silver bracelet and necklace. I have never worn, let alone bought, men's jewelry.

I like the look, but it got me thinking. Should men ever wear jewelry or am I setting myself up to look like a dork?
  • Quote:
    I took the plunge today and bought a simple, matching silver bracelet and necklace.
    I think the key word here is "simple" becuz as long as the jewelry is tasteful and not overdone, it can enhance your appearance. I actually like a small earing or a chain or bracelet/anklet like you bought more than large, gaudy jewelry. Jewelry is an accessory so it should be a little understated rather than giant gold rings on every finger or layers of chains that I have seen a few men do. Whether it's a man or woman, I would say the same thing. So, wear it and enjoy it ...
  • Thanks. That is a very thoughtful response.
  • One of my sons wears a few simple pieces, looks great. The other is a cop and wears guns!

I don't see a problem with it, I have several man friends who wear tasteful jewelry.
  • Gotta agree with the above posters. As long as you dont start hearing disco tunes from the 70s when you look in the mirror you will be ok.

I wear a gold bracelet on one hand and my watch on the other.
  • Do you! I personally like to see men express themselves through style choices. Men's jewelry options have improved over the years.
  • Thanks for all the very useful responses. I like the balance a bracelet adds to the wrists. Watch on one hand, bracelet on the other looks balanced. In the same metal of course. The necklace is the one that's got me on the fence. But I think I like it.
  • My husband wears a gold chain and a wedding band. I find it sexy!

Now...if he looked like Mr. T with all the chains or an Italian "guido" (no offense, we are Italian!) with all kinds of jewelry blinged out, I wouldn't like it.

Yours sounds really nice!
  • Of course men can wear jewelry, I , personally like the very handsome ID bracelets. I like silver but it is a personal preferance of gold or silver.
  • I am a guy and I wear a silver necklace, my girlfriend loves it. I am now thinking about a silver ring... So go for it IanG, if you like it and it feels comfortable I don't see why not
  • I think its fine if its "you." I personally like wearing something around my neck because my shoulders are so big it makes them look better. I don't wear anything other than that right now but who knows that might change.

I like to change it up but own mostly cheaper stuff like some woven necklaces and I have this one particular one which is a cotton rope with a little emblem of a rooster on it for the year I was born. it actually looks really nice. It's all a matter o taste. And no, its not wrong at all.
  • Wow. Lots of responses. Well, I did wear the necklace and the bracelet last night and it was great. Thanks for the support. They'll be coming out again!!!