Old 12-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #1  

Height: 5'10"

Default lost and confused

so i am still extremely lost and confused on how or what to do, i have put up a post about some exercise equipment i got and 122 people looked at it and could not respond in some fashion? no offense but where is the support here?
Carbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #2  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

No offense taken, Carbie. Most readers of posts are not registered users.

For the most part, we help each other by responding to each other's posts. For example, a number of thoughtful responses have been posted to your other threads, for example
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Start with walking. And I don't mean just go for walks, I mean inject more walking into your lifestyle. Drive less. Walk to the convenience store instead of driving. When you do drive park a little further away than you usually do. When you go to the grocery store don't go down each aisle one by one. Go to aisle one, then to aisle 12, then back to aisle 2, it keeps you walking.

I wear a pedometer all day long and try to log 10,000 steps each day.

Of course you have to make better choices in your diet too. It's very simple to say "eat more good foods and less bad foods" but we all know how difficult that is to implement. For me, I try to avoid eating carbs if I can. I try to satisfy my sweet tooth with fruit and a small piece of dark chocolate at the end of the day. I fill my plate with veggies, protein, and a very small amount of carbs. That's what works for me.

Lastly, watch out for fad eating. Don't eat processed foods, avoid sodas both regular and artificially sweetened. Avoid sugar. Make it a point to eat something raw every day. And don't worry if you can't implement these things all at once, it takes time to build healthy lifestyle skills. It took me a long time to quit artificial sweetners and sodas but I can tell you that I'm free of their power over me and now I can focus on building a new health skill. Good luck.
Walking is a terrific way to begin an exercise program. Is that an option for you?
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I want to reiterate Bill's point, that the "page views" here are a little misleading, as they include a huge number of people who view without creating an account, or who "lurk" without posting. The page view count doesn't just include active members who actively respond to posts.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #4  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I started out with walking too. The only equipment I was able to use was my rowing machine and I used only the arm part (rowers). I had almost every piece of equipment you could think of -- treadmill, stationary bike with moving arms, rowing machine, a recumbant bike with moving arms, and some other pieces. I donated all of them but the rowing machine to a charity second-hand store that sells them and uses the proceeds for their food bank.

Then to the walking, I added in hand weights, dancing, arm and chair aerobics, and this has helped me get more fit. I second that how you are eating is the most important thing to watch -- eat half your plate veggies and salad, with lean protein and a small amount of veggie or whole grain carbs (i.e. new potato, sweet potato, or corn; or beans, brown rice, barley, wg pasta, etc). In the beginning, I used to have at least two veggies AND a salad to fill me up; now I eat a bit less, but I often have a salad before my dinner still. Snack on fruit first and yogurt is good too. In time, you will find what foods work for you to fill you up -- soup and salads really help me a lot.

This is a very busy time of year and some of our regulars only come in 1-2 times a week; many work so come in on the weekends; and I am far away from home waiting for surgery on Monday am. Eventually, some of our regulars will come and answer you. Best of luck with your plan ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 12-22-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #5  

What are confused about? It will be easier to help if we know specifics. Limit it to one diet question and on exercise question to start, and we can go from there.

Last edited by DEE45pecialRD; 01-10-2013 at 09:51 AM.
DEE45pecialRD is offline   Reply With Quote