Introductions

You're on Page 2 of 5
Go to
  • Quote: I used to lift weights and bike religiously for years but one thing leads to another and between the toll it takes on your body and the time and energy needed, well.

That said i didn't tailor my eating habits to adjust when i quit so next thing you know ....
    It did just sneak up on me, kind of. I hope to get back into weights and some training once the "fat" is gone and become more lean. Good luck to you.

Quote: Welcome juiceman11 - Seems to happen to very active athletes that the weight gain slips up on them. Glad you've caught it. Hope you've found the Ideal Protein Diet forum - there's a bunch of active followers there. And they claim both good success and ability to continue.

I have found the IP forum. Only a handful of males there. I also have my father in law who has lost over 120# on IP since June. He is doing great and along with his wife. They were a great motivation for me. Been fairly easy for me to follow protocol. Good luck to you as well.
  • Quote: Congrats, Daddyo, on those 60 pounds gone forever. Love the thought, "I will never again be as heavy as I once was."

You're losing at a majorly fast clip and eating pretty low calories to support 5'11" of guy. Can't argue with success, but it's worth being aware of burn out. With only 36 pounds to go to reach your goal, you might have reached the point where you're ready to start tapering toward the eating plan that you'll use for maintenance for life. 3FC is big time helpful in staying the course long term.

I see the bar bell in your ticker. Are you a lifter?

No I am not really lifting yet, I am focusing on weight loss and with the low calories, I dont want to do too much and even though i am only eating 1200 calories I eat about 120 grams of protein a day, so i never feel hingry or weak. I am not really worried about maintence, I am worried about being able to consume 1800 - 2000 calories I have gotten so used to the way i eat now and i enjoy not overeating. But we will see
  • Hello,
    I just started Medifast. They tell me I can lose 100 lbs in 34 weeks. I'm at 303 now. I am hoping this works
  • Welcome 6strg - Kudos for getting started since that's the hardest step in the journey.

There are a bunch of threads here on 3FC that might interest you, including this one for Medifast.

What do you have in mind for your exercise plan? The very thought of an exercise plan was beyond me when I started out 81 pounds ago, but I started taking walks. Initially I took very short walks, but was able to increase the distance rather rapidly.

Hope you keep coming by.
  • Quote: Hello,
    I just started Medifast. They tell me I can lose 100 lbs in 34 weeks. I'm at 303 now. I am hoping this works
    Way to go on starting a diet plan. I started Ideal Protein this month and it is very similar to Medifast. I also have a coworker that did Medifast and had a great 80# loss in weight. The plan will work if you adhere to the rules and avoid temptations. In 12 days I have lost 17.8# on IP and I follow the plan very strictly, and that is with no exercise.

Good luck to you in your journey. Follow the plan and you will see results, quickly!
  • Just saying hello. I just joined this site and I am on the Ideal Protein plan as of last week. Not really sure what to expect, but I hope to finally get the job done.
  • Welcome - YankeeFan14040 - Congratulations for starting your journey; I can see that you've already found the Ideal Protein thread here.

What do you have in mind for your exercise plan? My prejudice about Buffalo is that you get serious snow, LOL, but that it's an active town.

If you like to chat baseball, there's some diehards over on 3FC's Winter Baseball thread counting down til spring training (full disclosure: Red Sox Nation guy here).
  • I have been poking around here since the end of Nov/10, when I started IP, that was 50# ago and have really enjoyed the info on the IP side of this site. Now with a boys club started it adds to the info.. and helps avoid all the TOM posts.. :-) What has been interesting is the change in your head from a big guy to a guy in transition.. I first noticed it when looking for shirts.. It was weird not to head to the XXL section.. Anyway I wanted to stop in and say hey and reading all the posts has been great motivation.. And to let fellow IP guys that we are out out there..
  • Newby and need help
    Hello,

My name is Larry and I need lots of help.

I am 66 years young and I have been a YO YO dieter all of my adult life. I come from a family where my mother and my brothers and sister were all overweight. In the past I have lost large amounts numerous times only to gain it back plus some. I was so discouraged at the beginning of this January that I discussed gastric surgery with my doctor. He told me that that was a possibilty. At home thinking about it and reading about how the risk factors increase after the age of 65 I decided to try diet and exercise one more time.

I started a 1500 calorie balanced diet on 1/6/2011 and I have lost 23 pounds so far. I also started walking and I have built it up to 2 miles now. I have severe arthritis in both knees and both hips but I have found that so far I am able to walk through the pain. Eventually I want to start bicycling again on my bicycle. Living in Florida enables me to do this year round.

My experience has shown that if I am to stop the cycle of weght loss followed by weight gain I will need the support of others. I have proven I cannot do it on my own.

Larry,
    ----------------------
    Your body is a Temple
    I Treated Mine
    Like an Amusement Park!!!
  • Thanks BillBlueEyes. I'll have to def check that thread out. Congrats to you guys on your recent pickups...love the competition between our two teams. I actually went to Gillette Stadium last year to watch the Pats. vs Bills after going to Yankee Stadium to watch the Red Sox vs Yanks. One of these times I must make it to Fenway. So much history there. You've been maintaining for 3 years now? Congrats. That is impressive. What do you do to maintain if you ever have pizza or a few pints or of the like? (I know there will be those days here and there).
  • This is such a wonderful addition to the website - i discovered the website yesterday but only found the men's section today.

About me

I am from India - 26 years old. Been fat all my life. Around 240 pounds. Last two years I went into a serious diet and exercise and came down to a brilliant 200 but then something happened. I got into post graduate college.

The last 6 months I have been meticulously putting back all that I had lost (ranging from too much partying, eating out and stress eating) ...

One goood news - I have a job and I am going to be moving to a new city in June. The bad news - it involves a lot of meeting new people and meeting clients, I don't want to be the big slob and I want to lose weight before then.

Plus, I want to meet a woman! It's been a year since I have actually dated - guess I need to lose weight to get confident and ask someone out.

We are all in this together!

Target weight 185 pounds.
  • Hey everybody!
    I found this site about 2 years ago but didn't join until last year. I have had some setbacks in the last 6 months but I'm back on track right now. I'm doing cardio at least 5 times a week and my calorie intake is about 1800-2000 calories. My diet is the healthiest that it has ever been. I've cut out fast food almost all together, sodas, sweet tea, and I only eat Red meat about once a week. My vegetable, fruit, whole grain intake has gone way up, and most things that I eat are organic and I don't consume very many things with preservatives. I'm doing some HIIT, elliptical, and the treadmill. It is great that there is a guys side to 3fatchicks now and look forward to hearing about everybody's progress.
  • Hi I'm Rob. This is my first post here. I started the Medifast plan two weeks ago at a weight of 225 lbs. I have to admit I had a lot of doubts about it at the start. When I received my first shipment of Medifast meals in the mail, I procrastinated several days before starting in to the program. My feeling at the time was that it probably wasn't going to work for me and that I would quit after a week or two. But I went ahead and started anyway. Once into it for a few days, I found it a lot easier than I expected. I didn't weigh myself during the week, because I know better. When I stepped on the scale a week after I had started, I really expected to be disappointed. Much to my surprise, I had dropped 9 lbs! At my second weighing (yesterday), I had dropped another 3 1/2 lbs. Not as impressive, but I'll take it any day. In my past dieting experiences, I would have been ecstatic to lose 3 1/2 lbs in a month, let alone a week.

My wife has been very supportive, and it has motivated her to start on a diet plan herself. Although she is on a totally different plan, we share the same "lean and green" meal every night for dinner. This really helps a lot. My target weight I think is 175 lbs, which is the weight I was at before we got married about 12 years ago.

Anyway, I'm happy to be here and hope to share ideas and experiences.
  • Hi, I am Joey and I found this forum last week, but just joined today. Been on my weight loss journey since Jan 1, 2011 In Dec 2010 was diagnosed with a fatty liver, which runs in the family then usually turns to liver cancer. The doctor told me I needed to loose some weight....duh! Well I started at 289 pounds. I started a low fat/high fiber diet and hit the gym. As of today, I am down 46 pounds. My goal weight is 209 maybe lower. So I am over half way there. In the process of training for a 5k. Feeling great.
  • Holy cow Joey that is some serious weight loss. Nice work!