Mediterranean Diet Recipes Recipes perfect for whole food diets or the Mediterranean diet. Recipes can fit in with the Sonoma Diet, but are not marked by waves.

Old 11-26-2004, 11:00 AM   #1  

Thumbs up Poultry

Herb Roasted Turkey Breast with Pan Gravy

1 small (golf-ball sized) onion, peeled and coarsely chopped - I probably used more onion..cuz I like it
1 lemon, scrubbed clean
12 fresh sage leaves
Large handful fresh flat-leaf parsley (about 1/2 cup, from 12 stems)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for oiling pan
1 teaspoon salt, plus more as needed
6 fresh bay leaves
4 tablespoons butter
2 boneless turkey breast halves, skin on (about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds each) - I used a bone in breast because they were on sale. Cooking time was longer than what is stated below. I followed the package instructions for cooking time.
Freshly ground black pepper

I didn't make the gravy, since I don't eat it. Sounds tasty though.
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup apple or regular brandy (recommended: Calvados)
2 to 3 cups apple cider
Salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Since I used a bone in breast, I followed the time and temperature on the package. Oil a roasting pan and set it aside.
Put the onion into the bowl of a mini food processor. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the zest from the lemon in thin strips, being careful not to cut into the bitter white pith. Add the lemon zest to the food processor and reserve the whole lemon for another use. Chop the onion and lemon zest until fine. Add the sage, parsley, olive oil, and 1 teaspoon salt and pulse until it forms a coarse paste.

Put 2 of the bay leaves and the butter into a small pan and heat over medium-low heat until the butter is bubbling. Remove from the heat and set aside. I used butter and olive oil combo

Put the turkey breasts on a work surface. Carefully run your fingers between the skin and the flesh from 1 end, being careful not to pull it completely off, creating a pocket. Season the turkey breasts generously with salt and pepper. Stuff half of the herb paste under the skin of each breast, and spread it evenly under the skin. Transfer the breasts to the roasting pan, and slide 2 bay leaves underneath each one. (The heat of the pan will release the bay leaf oils and flavor the breast.) Using a pastry brush, baste the breasts with half of the bay butter. Place the turkey in the oven and immediately decrease the temperature to 400 degrees F. After 20 minutes, baste the turkey breasts with the remaining butter, and roast for an additional 20 to 25 minutes, until cooked through, and a thermometer placed in the thickest part of the breast registers 170 degrees F. My 5 pound bone in breast took about 2 hours at 325 to reach 170.

Remove from the oven, transfer to a platter, cover, and let rest for 10 minutes before carving while you make the gravy.

Put the roasting pan over the burner on medium heat. Sprinkle the flour over the pan juices, and cook, stirring, for a few minutes. Add the apple brandy, and scrape the pan to lift the bits that are stuck to the bottom. Cook for a minute to burn off the alcohol, then, while stirring, pour in the apple cider. Bring to a simmer, and stir until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:15 PM   #2  
stbakd

looks good glen
hefty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #3  
Erin

S/C/G: 210/172/145

Height: 5'4"

This is less a recipe as just what I made for dinner tonight...

I cooked a sliced chicken breast in a pan with a tiny bit of EVOO, italian seasoning, and garlic. Then cooked some zucchini, some squash and some broccoli the same way and tossed it in whole wheat pasta.

I definitely prefer a one-bowl meal in order to kind of hide my veggies, so this worked great for me. I had to toss the veggies in last so that my hubby would eat it. Had a small glass of red wine with it and 1/2 an apple for dessert. Good meal!

Anyone else have any good one-bowl meals?
ErBear is offline   Reply With Quote