Old 05-19-2017, 02:45 AM   #91  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEN.CA View Post
Hi Hikerdreams.
I have one very close friend who is very negative towards me and my medifast food as well. Sometimes I even think it might be slight jealousy because I'm actually trying to better myself and she's not. I don't throw it around, I just let the people closest to me know so they can try to understand and not offer foods I can't have and not play 20 questions about the whole thing. As long as you feel super confident and show them that, they will really get how much it means to you. In vegas I was trying very hard to stay on track because I knew that after having a giant bacon cheeseburger I wasn't going to feel any better than if I had a shake or something healthy. That friend of mine was kind of irritated during oir trip but low and behold the day after we got back she text me and said how proud she was of me for really dedicating myself to something no matter what people thought. That meant the world to me and gave me extra strentgh
Some people don't want to see others succeed. I am always thrilled to hear when someone is trying to improve their life whether it is weight loss, going back to school or anything else that enhances their life.

Not everyone understands the Medifast concept and I don't feel the need to try to convince them that it is the best plan for me. Rather than tell them that I can't eat that and have to explain, I just simply say I am choosing not to eat that right now. We all have to do what is best and what works for us.
CTJGIRL119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:53 AM   #92  

S/C/G: 229/210/160

Height: 5'5

Thanks, Twinca, for all of those words of wisdom and advice, and sharing your tracker! Do you take your scale on the road with you? I am not taking my scale because I am taking SOOOO much other stuff along. But I have weighed my food almost every day on Medifast, so I do have a fairly good idea of portion sizes for my protein. I am taking a measuring spoon and measuring cup with me.

Everyone, I will be away from a computer for the next 26 days, starting Saturday, so you probably won't hear from me, except once in a blue moon. I counted out 130 Medifast meals (26 days time five! ) I am planning on staying on Medifast and making more progress. I hope, hope, hope I can stay on the program. In the past, my track record has always been to gain about 7 pounds on a vacation. Medifast is my plan this time, although I am sure I will sometimes be challenged finding something on the menu at a restaurant that I can eat. At least 7 days of our time, I will be able to cook my own L&G. The rest of the time, we will be eating out for my one meal. So, I hope I can say, "Later, lighter!" I will check in when I can. Thanks for your continued encouragement , inspiration and ideas. Good luck to all of you on this daily journey!
Susan
Hikerdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:59 AM   #93  

CTJ Girl,
Her scale said 8 pounds, but my weigh-in was in the afternoon, and the original one was in the morning, so I'm not letting that get me down. I'm supposed to see her every two weeks, but now it will be a month before I'm back to Phoenix, since we are going on a trip. Even though it is the end of my second week, my scale is already moving much slower, down yesterday, up today, but I am just staying focused of staying as perfect as I can be on Medfast. I have maybe taken a couple of liberties on my L&G's which I need to reign in a bit, since discovering the condiments list. I think the scale will just move down in jumps, rather than a daily amount. Take care, and I will check in when I have access to a computer!
Susan
Old 05-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #94  
NOOM user

S/C/G: 300/230.6/170

Height: 5'4

Susan best of luck on your vacation! Number one priority is to enjoy yourself and that can include being good to yourself by sticking to plan. Nice job in packing almost a month's worth of food!!

I'm checking in from Charlotte. When I weighed in yesterday morning I had hit 250 on the dot. I had hoped the gym had a scale but it didn't so I'm just going to stay focussed. The nice thing about working here is the hotel is within walking distance from the office. Between my treadmill run first thing and walking to work, I'm already at 6,000 before 9am!!

Last night we had a team building event at a gokart and bowling facility. I didn't get in the go-kart but did bowl a game. Found muscles I didn't know I had, LOL. Since we were driving for 5 hours and then in the office, which was a whirlwind of reacquainting with team mates and meeting ones I only knew by their voices, there were fewer opportunities to eat on my schedule but I did my best. I ate only 3 Medifast meals, one L&G at Chick-Fil-A and had likely a few too many things from the catered appetizers at the event. I figured it will be my one dalliance of the trip because it was so crazy out of control yesterday.

This morning I was up early, did a running workout in the gym, and had my first Medifast meal before walking to work. I was walking with my boss who stopped in at 7-11 for coffee and I grabbed a couple hard boiled eggs and a garden salad for later today (plus 2 liters of water). Just have to figure out the rest of the day. My backpack is full of Medifast meals for later.

Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend and safe travels to Susan!
LauraRVA42011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:57 AM   #95  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdreams View Post
CTJ Girl,
Her scale said 8 pounds, but my weigh-in was in the afternoon, and the original one was in the morning, so I'm not letting that get me down. I'm supposed to see her every two weeks, but now it will be a month before I'm back to Phoenix, since we are going on a trip. Even though it is the end of my second week, my scale is already moving much slower, down yesterday, up today, but I am just staying focused of staying as perfect as I can be on Medfast. I have maybe taken a couple of liberties on my L&G's which I need to reign in a bit, since discovering the condiments list. I think the scale will just move down in jumps, rather than a daily amount. Take care, and I will check in when I have access to a computer!
Susan
Congratulations!!! I am sure it is a bigger loss since you weighed in the afternoon. Those condiments can get us into trouble if we aren't careful.

The scale will move when it is ready so just keep working the plan and it will all work out.

Joann
Old 05-20-2017, 11:45 AM   #96  

Thanks, Joanne, for those words of encouragement. I like that- the scale drops in its own time. We just have to keep working the program. Laura, you are doing so well on your trip! What do you do? I am off on my trip with three bags of Medifast food and determination to come back lighter in 26 days. The scale has been hanging around 220, 219 and not really dropping. I think my body has been adjusting to this new regime and all this weight loss. I'll check in when I can. I had Maple Brown Sugar oatmeal for breakfast. At least the Medifast food is nice and quick to make!

Susan
Old 05-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #97  

S/C/G: 232/228/160

Height: 5'11"

Hi ladies- I lost another 2 lbs this week.

I OFFICIALLY PASSED 50 POUNDS!!

Just another 35 lbs to go. STAY THE COURSE!!!

Last edited by TWINCA; 05-20-2017 at 02:13 PM.
TWINCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #98  
NOOM user

TWINCA!! Nice work!! I hope to be closely following you.

Susan I work in technology and we have a quarterly application upgrade that is bundled into a weekend. The majority of the teams are based in Charlotte and I have to work shifts in the Control room in case there are issues during Release weekend. The bad part is that the food and snacks are everywhere and hard to avoid. Confession, I have dabbled, but when things go wrong it is really easy to mainline chocolate <wink>.

Gotten lots of steps in and discovered a clean eating fast food place called GrabbaGreen that served a really epic L&G so the rest of the day I can either just do all MF foods or a mainly protein meal later tonight.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:14 AM   #99  

Congrats to all on the losses, milestones, and successful navigation of trips and vacations! So encouraging to hear. Joyce, I sure hope you are better from the ruptured eardrum. That sounds just awful and so painful!

I hit 20 pounds lost today and am happy about that, even though it is slow. I'm staying busy and all is well, but don't check in as often as I used to. Medifast is becoming automatic which is a good thing. I am doing the 4 and 2 and still losing at about the same pace. I sub Greek yogurts for some of the meals here and there also but I make sure the carbs and protein are in range with the Medifast meals.
StephGetsHealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:08 PM   #100  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdreams View Post
Thanks, Joanne, for those words of encouragement. I like that- the scale drops in its own time. We just have to keep working the program.

Susan
Susan,

I found this article to be informative and return to it when I need a "pep talk" when I am less than thrilled with the scale. I hope you find it helpful. I DO NOT advocate a cheat meal nor do I do a cheat meal. I will eat at the higher end of the Medifast calorie range. I try to stay around 800-850 calories so when I go higher, I go to about 950 or 975 calories but I do not eat off plan nor go over 99 carbs.

The “Whoosh” Effect: Burning fat and losing weight don’t happen simultaneously!
February 3, 2016 Fitness & Workouts

Fundamentally speaking, burning fat is all about creating a caloric deficit. (You eat less food than your body requires, thus forcing your body to make up the difference by getting energy from fat reserves). This isn’t a theory. It’s the first law of thermodynamics. It’s literally one of the laws of physics.

However, as many diligent dieters have personally learned, the amount of weight that you lose each day, or each week, is rarely consistent.

Some weeks, you’ll find that you don’t lose any weight at all — even when you’ve had a perfect workout schedule, and eaten at a perfect caloric deficit. Other weeks you’ll discover that you lost way more weight than the numbers say you should have lost.

If the laws of calorie-in / calorie-out are real, why would a person lose such dramatically different amounts of weight from week to week, despite following an identical routine?
Enter… “The Whoosh Effect”

As you burn fat, you’ll sometimes notice that the area where the fat used to be tends to take on a sort of “squishy” consistency. “Squishy” fat forms because, as fat cells are extracted and mobilized, the space where they once existed gets filled with water, making the area feel “softer” than normal. Sometimes “squishy fat” forms in places we can see it, and sometimes it forms more internally where we can’t. Sometimes it’s in huge pockets, and sometimes it forms at a microscopic level where you can’t see it or feel it. But the areas that were once filled with fat sit there, filled with water!

The squishy-fat areas can last for a few days to as much as a few weeks. Then, one day, inexplicably and out of nowhere, all that squishy fat suddenly tightens up! In some cases, you’ll even (suddenly) look leaner! And at the same time, the scale suddenly drops — and you cheer because you feel like whatever you did the day before caused you to lose a ton of weight!

It will probably surprise you to learn that almost ALL scale movements are the result of fat burn that happened days, or even weeks ago! (Sudden scale movement at the very beginning of a diet is usually the result of water-weight being dropped due to a decrease in carb intake, however).

Did you catch that? When the scale goes down while dieting, it’s usually because of fat that you lost several days (or even weeks) ago, and your body is finally expelling the water that took its place.

Put another way, even though you may be in a state where you are constantly burning fat, the results of that effort may not show up on the scale immediately. And more likely, they’ll show all at once, one day, where you’ll have a sudden “whoosh” of weight-loss!
The Minnesota Starvation Experiment

During World War II, a scientific study was performed wherein 36 men volunteered for a semi-starvation diet of 1,500 calories a day for 6 months, combined with several hours of hard labor every day. This became known as the “Minnesota Starvation Experiment”. (The purpose was to learn about the physiology and psychology of starvation, and use the data to help returning POW’s).

One of the many interesting findings that came from this study was that weight loss progressed in a nice, linear fashion in the beginning. Men lost about 2 pounds per week, every week. After some time, though, it became erratic and unpredictable.

Body weight would remain stagnant for several weeks followed by overnight “bursts” of large amounts of weight loss (3+ pounds). It’s physically impossible to burn several pounds of fat overnight, so how is that possible?

Well, the scientists looked into the phenomenon further and found the answer: water retention.

The men were steadily losing fat even when their weight wasn’t changing because as they lost more fat, they held more water. This only became obvious once the excess water was expelled, which gave the appearance of very rapid weight loss.

So let’s be very clear on what was happening:

The calorie deficit did its job by systematically reducing body fat, but the reductions in total body weight were often counter-balanced by increases in water retention.
How can you avoid the “Whoosh effect”?

Short answer: You can’t… Or more accurately put, you don’t really need to. It’s your body’s natural method of coping with fat-loss. Just let it do its thing.

Long answer: Scientists in the study referenced above actually found a trigger to cause the whoosh effect. You ready? It was a single meal that included a dramatic increase in caloric intake. For instance, a 2,300-calorie meal was served to celebrate the half-way mark of the experiment, and researchers noted that many of the men woke up several times to pee that night and, in the morning, were several pounds lighter than the day before.

Yeah, you read that right, a small cheat-meal triggered the drop in water-weight… And it’s one of the key reasons I recommend incorporating a REASONABLE cheat-meal once a week into your long-term weight loss plan.

Once again, it’s important to reiterate that you don’t NEED to do anything to trigger the whoosh effect. It’ll happen when it happens. But sometimes, if you’ve been dieting for a long time (6+ weeks) and haven’t lost anything on the scale for 1-2 weeks, a small cheat meal can help you feel like things are “back on track”.
Conclusion

A weight-loss plateau doesn’t necessarily equate to a fat-loss plateau!! Just because the scale isn’t moving, doesn’t mean you’re not burning fat, and it doesn’t mean you’re doing anything wrong.

Second, and probably more importantly, don’t expect results every single morning when you weigh-in. While it CAN work this way (and often does early on), it’s not typical. You might find that weighing-in once a week is a better strategy if you find yourself dealing with this problem more than you like.

Last edited by CTJGIRL119; 05-21-2017 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Added information.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:26 PM   #101  
Jesus, I trust in You

Height: 5' 2"

Twice I have tried to post long list of personals and have gone advanced and not hit the submit button! I will chalk it up to this ear infection.

I am just going to give an update on myself and leave the personals for later.

I saw the ENT last Friday. I am now on a new antibiotic in the form of eardrops. I only have intermittent pain, but more bothersome is the deafness and/or reverberation in the left ear. I see her in two weeks for a follow up.

Weight-wise I am up about four pounds. I dabbled in the wrong carbohydrates and doing so caused my weight to skyrocket. I have been back on track this week, and am seeing the loss already.

Honestly, I am happy in the low 130's. Maintaining in this decade is wonderful and so good for the soul!

I will be back to address all of you...just mad right now I lost that initial post!

Last edited by MorningGlory1950; 05-22-2017 at 10:18 PM.
MorningGlory1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:54 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 208.4/179/160

Height: 5'2"

Hello everyone! I was away for a couple of weeks as I had a last minute opportunity to travel to Scotland with my mother who is 80. My grandmother emigrated from Scotland in the 1920's so we have a strong connection and try to visit every 10 years or so. It was a wonderful trip and my new/old job was wonderful about me taking the time off even though I had barely started as an official employee.

I did not take an MF foods with me and decided to just enjoy the trip while being reasonable about what I ate. My mother is quite petite and I decided that following her lead in the food department would work well. I ate a moderate amount of food including 1/2 a cheeseburger, fries and slaw one evening. We split most of our meals since she can't eat that much and I didn't need to eat that much. This morning was my first true day home. I was hesitant about getting on the scale as I ate everything and anything but in very moderate amounts. I was sure the carbs would have raised my weight. I decided to stay true to my vow to be accountable to myself and stepped on the scale. What a NSV! After two full weeks of traveling, eating out and having the foods I wanted in moderation, I weighed exactly the same as I did the day I left to the ounce! I am beyond thrilled with that experiment in maintenance eating.

Know I know I can keep this weight off by just being aware of the foods I eat every day particularly the amounts. My stretch goal is to lose another 18 lbs to end at 150. That will likely take me through the end of the year as I am losing much more slowly now. I am back on my own version of my modified plan. Today that meant 1 scrambled egg with some ground sausage for breakfast. A shake, a bar and the bit leftover ground sausage for a snack and a black bean burger (no bun) with salsa, avocado and a bit of hummus for dinner. I will likely have a 1/2 cup of halo top ice cream for a snack later (That comes in at 80 calories).

Keeping my calorie intake between 1000-1200 seems to be my sweet spot. I had been getting light headed and dizzy if I dip much below that now that I have lost the bulk of the weight.

It seems everyone is doing very well and welcome Joann! It is so great to see new MF friends here. I love seeing how we all use the MF plan to reach our goals. Things do change during our journey's so being flexible and adapting to what works for each of us is so important. We all learn so much from one another.

Now that I am back, I will be checking in more frequently again!

Sheila
sheilaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:02 PM   #103  
Jesus, I trust in You

Height: 5' 2"

Sheila ~ How lovely to hear from you! Scotland sounded wonderful! I am so happy you and your mother were able to make the trip yet again.And to think that you stayed exactly the same weight is a true sign that you have succeeded in maintenance! Many of us "oldies" are learning to adapt to a new way of eating as we lessen our reliance on Medifast and venture into the real food world.

TWINCA ~ A big round of applause for losing 51 pounds thus far! It almost seems like yesterday that you began your Medifast journey!

Laura ~ You are doing so awesome! I just picture you in that Control room. I would definitely need this I just love hearing of your successes, both home and away! Thank you for being so loyal to our group! Your 50th pound lost is soooo close!

Susan ~ Have a wonderful trip. You will be so happy to come home and see a large loss. You are preparing to do all the right things. I know you will succeed!

Joann ~ What an interesting study! Thank you for sharing. I had never heard of this before. Makes you really say "hmmmm."

Jen ~ I loved hearing your Las Vegas story! You did so well!

Avery ~ Can't wait to hear about your vacation!

Karen ~ Write when you can!

Last edited by MorningGlory1950; 05-22-2017 at 10:19 PM.
MorningGlory1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:37 PM   #104  

Good evening all. I am having a quiet night and thought I would check in! Today was great. I had my 2 lean and greens, but the lunchtime one was not even close to the recommended amounts. To those doing 4 and 2, do you always do the full amount for both meals? I am just not as hungry mid day and the thought of trying to eat 5 ounces of meat and 1.5 cups of veggies is daunting! Today's lunch was 3 ounces of beef roast and about 2/3 cup of green beans, and that felt like plenty! Dinner was the full amount: 6 ounces of chicken, a cup of raw broccoli with some dressing, and a half cup of cooked cabbage. It was delicious, simple and filling!
StephGetsHealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:28 AM   #105  
NOOM user

Hi all,

Quick check in as I have returned from my travels. I did moderately well overall except for yesterday. I had an official cheat day and weighed in this morning to a 1.8lb gain which I see as a victory. I'm no longer a boredom eater but I'm still a pain eater. Friday, I did something to my back and I've been in pain constantly ever since. I finally caved yesterday and ate poorly but man did it ever taste good! Back to Medifast today and I may "detox" by doing 5&1 since I cannot exercise due to my back.

Will write more later.