Old 05-02-2017, 08:58 AM   #496  
NOOM user

S/C/G: 300/230.6/170

Height: 5'4

Joyce, interesting topic. I'm not sure where I stand because I had a huge loss years ago, and felt like my 'true self' for the first time. As I gained, I actually felt like an alien in my own body; my heavier self was not me. I have always had an inner battle with that because for me, my weight was a safety net against the outside world. When I lost all my weight before, I finally felt like I was part of the world and no longer an outsider.

My motivation now is to get back to that place. My lifestyle had BETTER CHANGE as I lose more, instead of hiding in my room and losing myself in video games, I want to be exploring the real world instead of a virtual one. I want to be able to weed my garden and rake leaves, not leaving it to someone else I have to pay, reconciling to myself, that we can afford to have it done instead of admitting I'm physically incapable of doing it myself.

As for the phrase, "Lifestyle change" it was coined during a time when 'diet' was seen as too restrictive a term. Despite the effectiveness of programs like Medifast, there is no 'quick fix' for weight loss that does not include a lifestyle change for after the loss phase. Recidivism to old eating habits need to be prevented and the best way is to change the lifestyle of eating and approaches to eating. I don't feel like it diminishes a person's overall quality of life that needs to be changed. The original poster's qualifying of lifestyle changes has nothing to do with the true definition and its intent. No one is suggesting people reinvent themselves, except when it comes to making food and activity choices.

I didn't post sooner because the whole topic honestly baffled me. The purpose of undergoing this journey should be to embrace your possibilities, not feel compelled to change who you are because your clothes are smaller.
LauraRVA42011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:23 AM   #497  

S/C/G: 234/144.2/150

Height: 5'7"

That's an interesting topic, Joyce.

Being near my goal weight I see that my lifestyle really has changed in the sense that I have arrived back to the person I once was....8 years ago. I am no longer the one licking the bowl, eating late into the evening, promising myself that "I'll start a diet tomorrow". My attitude has changed for the better about most things. I don't think I've reinvented myself BUT I simply got back to the person I was. I really like that girl too!! She's the person who felt good about herself.

I have found myself this past month accepting more invitations to join a gathering and not wondering what might fit or will I have to go buy the next size up clothes. I no longer stand and stare in my closet wondering if the pants are too tight any more. I view my closet in satisfaction no longer "wishing" for those clothes sizes to be different.

The one lifestyle change is that I've gotten more time back. I didn't realize how much time I was researching diets, starting them and then giving up, etc. It takes so much mental and physical time and energy to be on that roller coaster.

I see this all as just a mental shift in my thinking. I don't think you can loose a bunch of weight without some phases of your life changing for the better.

Karen
kwalk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:28 AM   #498  
Jesus, I trust in You

Height: 5' 2"

Laura ~ Thank you for your detailed analysis! I do love your insight:

Quote:
The purpose of undergoing this journey should be to embrace your possibilities, not feel compelled to change who you are because your clothes are smaller.

Now that I can accept! I think when I read the original poster's thoughts, I did feel her fear of being a stranger in a strange land. Then I started to think about that.

Rather than lifestyle change, I like the focus on journey instead. Yes, I know this is not a diet, but rather a total change in perspective about my eating habits. I can't go back to that yoyo mentality (although I know deviations are going to occur, as in my "dalliances" last week). I know the real me wants this life as opposed to that one.

You are right - it is baffling. You got me thinking about activities like yard work. I was thinking of myself as "too old" to clean up the weeds and mulching the flower beds, but really it was just laziness and breathlessness and heavy awkwardness that forced me to hire someone.

All a learning process. Thank you for teaching me a new lesson. Amazing that we are learning so much about ourselves!

Last edited by MorningGlory1950; 05-02-2017 at 11:28 AM.
MorningGlory1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #499  
Jesus, I trust in You

TWINCA, JEN.CA ~ Chime in when you can! I know Sheila started her new job and Steph is away.

I never officially welcomed hikerdreams!
We would love to hear from you, too.

I need this group. I know in my life this journey will never be over. It is a daily commitment to this new way of life. I need to talk about it, with all its ups and downs and ins and outs.

That is why this group has been such a Godsend to me and why I consider myself successful just for today.

Last edited by MorningGlory1950; 05-02-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:04 PM   #500  
Jesus, I trust in You

Oh Karen, I am so glad to hear from you! This is a topic I have heard many times, but I (and the original poster) are approaching it from another angle.

I like your input:

It is heavenly to just not think about those clothes - they are there, they fit and they look nice. No worries.

The invitations are not worrisome either...you go, you feel comfortable in your own skin, and you focus on others without that constant babble in your head about the others' perception of your appearance.

Now your concept of time is one which I need to think about. I still spend a lot of it on expressing my devotion to this journey. Perhaps I need it. I have never have accepted that "I've got this." If I don't keep vigil over my mind and actions and outcomes, there could be a major setback. As a person diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder (only recently diagnosed as this is a relatively new official medical term), but it has been there since I was a young teen,perhaps I am different than others who don't battle this particular demon.
Now that I am ready to transition, I still research different methods. But again that is just me.

It is wonderful to hear your take on this topic, Karen! Thank you.

P.S. Everyone reading, in case our #500 post cuts us off, please start a new thread!

Last edited by MorningGlory1950; 05-02-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:07 PM   #501  
NOOM user

S/C/G: 300/230.6/170

Height: 5'4

Hey all!!

Started the new thread to continue the discussion: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/medi...ssion-1-a.html

Everyone please join us over there as we continue our Medifast Journey
LauraRVA42011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:26 AM   #502  

S/C/G: 276/276/150

Hello Everyone!
I'm just completing week 1 on Medifast and I'm doing it through my doctor so today is my first weigh-in/result day!!!! I am super nervous because I am a huge results oriented person and I hope to have good results to keep me motivated! I've learned some new stuff reading thru the thread and I look forward to reading through them all! I'm glad to have found this group!
Brandi911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:04 PM   #503  

Hi everyone! I just started the plan today - have about 100lbs to lose (although I'd be happy with 80). So far today's been ok (although I'm hungry and seem to be always thinking about when the next fueling is). Is that normal and will that go away? I'm also curious about lean & green ideas. I'm going to start reading through this thread as well and hopefully get some ideas. I'm glad i found this group!
lisasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:39 PM   #504  

Default Started 2nd journey today

I did medifast 3 years ago and gave up because the artificial sweeteners hurt my joints.
I'm back as of this morning doing the new Optavia.
Fingers crossed that I stick to this!!
I'm starting out my weight at 212 pounds!! I've never told anyone my weight. Not even my husband!
I'm trying to not hide from myself anymore! LOL
Denial!
Anyway, I got some food from a friend to start with because she stopped. I have a question.
I are the blueberry hot cereal with almond and chia... It tasted horrible.
I checked the date and it was expired back in June. Anyone out there think it just generally tastes bad or is it the expiration? I know they don't have the same preservatives
Prettyforafatchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:14 AM   #505  
Jesus, I trust in You

I definitely did not like it and mine was fresh.

Tags
medifast